HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:12 PM
ODB VI September 2014
United States, OK, Weleetka
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Help!
Thoughtful suggestions needed for sport plane.

I am looking for a basic sport plane. Not interested in 3d at all. Don't care about speed at all.
Just basic aerobatics shooting touch and goes and easy relaxed flying.

My health is not good. And I am having trouble seeing smaller airplanes now.
I have a Leader 480 ready to fly. But concerned I might have trouble seeing it.

I have been looking at the E-Flite Advance 25e. I would have to get some bigger lipos since I mostly have 2200 3s now.

I am also not sure how well it will fit in my car (Honda Accord coupe)
I am looking at arfs not kits. And of course budget is very tight.

Thoughts?
Wes
1987tc is offline Find More Posts by 1987tc
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phone number change.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:11 PM
Rural NW Essex,England.
Joined May 2005
302 Posts
Firstly...Sorry to hear that your health is not good. Next you may be able to use your existing lipos in series. i.e. two packs will give you 6s 2200. If you choose the motor correctly you should be able to fly a model of 55-60" span in the manner that you require. As an example a sig 4*40 will fly on this set-up. I'm sure that someone else will chip in and let you know of some good candidates for your needs.
All the best...Chris UK,
noblapod is offline Find More Posts by noblapod
Old Jul 03, 2012, 01:43 AM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Is this your first plane?

The only way you'll know how you'll fly is to fly it. You have a Leader 480, but haven't flown it yet? And, you're thinking about getting a second plane?

My $.02: Fly it. Learn it. Then think about your next plane.

Turn it before it gets too far out, so it stays within your ability to see it. If you find you want to fly it out further than you can see it, then yep, get a bigger plane. Don't fly into the sun. Face away from where ever the sun is, to get the max visibility and colors.

The Leader 480 has a wingspan 9" shorter than the Advance 25e. Each appears to be covered so a flyer can tell top from bottom fairly easily, thus keeping orientation is enhanced.

Flying the Leader is the only way you'll answer your questions.

Whether a plane fits in your car can only be determined by measuring and comparing wingspan to the specs, which you can get on line.

If the Leader is your first plane, good luck. I'd strongly recommend an Apprentice for a first plane, if you have some sim time, and IF you have several acres to fly it in, as in a BIG park. Several soccer fields. It's a big plane, white, easy to see even if it flies way out there. One softball field, or soccer/football field will be cramped, but you'll see it great.

If you're beyond the first plane, fly your Leader 480. It appears to be designed to be a good second plane, a good park flyer.

Hobb-e-mart on ebay has Apprentices available sometimes, and for less than retail, BNF and RTF. That's how I got mine, and I saved almost a $100 over retail. Don't know about the Advance. Maybe you could get a good used Advance here at RCGroups, in the classifieds.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Last edited by tlr-boise; Jul 03, 2012 at 01:50 AM.
Old Jul 03, 2012, 07:32 AM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
First I want to thank you for your post. It was kind and thoughtful.

I have been in the hobby since 1969. Converted to electric planes in 1999. So this is far from my first plane!

I made this thread since I have not flown every available model out there. And I am seeking ideas from people who have flown planes I may have not.

My health is not great and is not going to improve. I am trying to extend my ability to fly a little longer. Before I become a spectator for good.

Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 11:29 AM
Rural NW Essex,England.
Joined May 2005
302 Posts
Wes, there has just been an article in one of the UK magazines where one of the UK's top pilots was asked about his favourite models. His reply was any well set up .40 sized trainer as they are more capable than most people realise. So how about something like a Kyosho calmato 40 trainer? Before you laugh out loud have a look at some youtube videos. I have a Jensen Ugly Stik ( electric) and I let one of our hot shot young pilots wring it out. After he landed he was quiet for a moment then said "we haven't moved on much have we". Something I have just thought of how about a Multiplex Fun Cub? Lots of low speed fun..even if you don't like foamies..It could keep you flying for a while.
All the best...Chris UK.
noblapod is offline Find More Posts by noblapod
Old Jul 03, 2012, 05:17 PM
Joined Jan 2009
7,643 Posts
The Advance 25e is a fine plane -- well mannered and easy to fly. And in my book, it's "big" -- that is to say, among the larger planes in my fleet. It was one of the first "big" planes I had any luck with. I fly it with a 4S/2600 battery.
rafe_b is offline Find More Posts by rafe_b
Old Jul 03, 2012, 06:17 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Chris,
40 size is too big ( I drive a Honda Accord Coupe) even if converted to electric.

Rafe,

Glad to hear your thoughts on the Advance 25e. It echos what several have said so far. And seems to be the "go to" plane for what I am looking for.

So WHO has the best price on one? I have tried the classifieds here and WF and RCU too. With no luck.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 03, 2012, 08:15 PM
Boise, ID
Joined Dec 2008
1,102 Posts
Wes,

As an experienced flyer, you might know about hobb-e-mart on eBay already, but just in case you don't, here's a link. This might be a place to keep an eye on, in case an Advance 25e pops up.

http://stores.ebay.com/Hobb-e-Mart/R...4.l1581&_pgn=1

If the link works for you, you can see what kinds of planes they have available at the moment, (90 today) but it changes every day or so, with new Horizon/e-Flite/Hangar 9, etc. models becoming available. They auction them off, with a four or five day auction, usually. There are shipping charges, but you can calculate that ahead of time and then adjust your bid.

Some are damaged, but sometimes very insignificantly, and some are just box-damaged, so can't be sold new. You can get a great deal there.

Also, I called them once and asked if they had a particular plane coming available, so you might call and ask whether they have an Advance 25e coming up for bid.
tlr-boise is offline Find More Posts by tlr-boise
Old Jul 03, 2012, 10:32 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I have heard of them before. But never bought from them. I am not big on ebay.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 04, 2012, 11:56 AM
Trash Hauler emeritus
Maryland, USA
Joined Oct 2006
1,704 Posts
Wes: If you're not averse to foamies, then here's another sport plane to add to the possibilities: Dynam Sbach 342. It's the most recent addition to my own fleet. At 1250mm wingspan, the Dynam plane's size falls in-between the Leader 480 (1090mm) which you think might be too small to see, and the E-flite Advance (1330mm) which you think might be too big to transport. To make it easier to transport, I left off those side force generator thingys from the wing, which as I understand it are for hover stability, and like you I'm not at all interested in 3D.

And it is inexpensive. Grayson has it for $129 (link), Nitroplanes has it for $119 (link). That's for PNP (everything except a battery and receiver). And speaking of the battery...this plane is meant to be run on 4S, but yesterday I swapped out the prop to a 13x10 and tried flying it on a 3S 2200 battery. And it flew just fine. Not as much punch as on 4S, not much vertical...but it was OK for sport flying and still good enough for knife edge, loops, snap rolls, etc. So you could start out on 3S with the batteries you have, and if you decided you want more power, then get 4S batteries later.
herk1 is offline Find More Posts by herk1
Old Jul 04, 2012, 12:12 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
Looks like a nice plane.
Won't say I would not go with foam. But I do prefer balsa most of the time.
I will consider it.
Thanks!
Wes
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 02:18 PM
Belfast / Dublin
Joined May 2004
1,554 Posts
was also gonna suggest an electrified 4 star 40 ... perfect relaxed sport aerobat

with the removable wing it should go in your car ...

however if you still think it too big maybe something from stevensaero.com would be suitable http://www.stevensaero.com/StevensAe....-p-19952.html ... it's pricey tho

or a nice cub from Alien Aircraft http://www.alienaircraft.com/k302.htm

or maybe something from mountainmodels.com or what about www.estarmodels.com - there stuff is more sports scale but it's both relaxed-flying and the right size... not too big not too small

www.parkscalemodels.com are good too, and affordable
big bird is offline Find More Posts by big bird
Old Jul 12, 2012, 08:17 PM
God is my pilot
United States, MI, Kalamazoo Township
Joined Aug 2006
2,418 Posts
Hi Wess, sorry to hear things are deteriorating.

Valuehobby.com has some nice planes. They are in Illinois and have never had any issues with them. The have a few 25 size sport trainers that look like they would fit the bill. Could get some emax servos, esc's and motor and be all set.

http://www.valuehobby.com/airplanes/...-series-1.html

How did the Switchback Sr. fit the bill?

Jim
JimTMich is offline Find More Posts by JimTMich
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:20 PM
ODB VI September 2014
Joined Dec 2000
8,542 Posts
I wish I still had the Switchback Sr. It was a mistake to let it go. Oh well live and learn.

I have bought some small items from Value hobby in the past also with good results. I have looked at their planes a couple of times. And nothing there really caught my eye,
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 12, 2012, 09:32 PM
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Mar 2011
130 Posts
Wess,

How do you like the great planes supper sportster on sale at tower $89.00

Ken
ken78cvx20 is online now Find More Posts by ken78cvx20