SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:09 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
I would hope the LHS and Hobbico would help me with this problem on a one week old plane with two flights. If not, they would be no better than overseas suppliers.
I would hope so too. Give it a try first.
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 31, 2012, 11:16 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
Yeah, you're right. Its just in case...
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 01, 2012, 12:42 AM
Riley Winglow
Belt, Montana
Joined Feb 2007
289 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
I think you should count yourself as lucky. You probably had some part of the antenna that extended outside the aft end so it wasn't totally masked. The Art Hobby tailboom is a carbon fiber and fiberglass composite so it may not be totally opaque to RF signals. Carbon is like a shield to RF signals which is why the 2.4 MHz antenna whiskers are always put outside of carbon pods and fuselages.
You must be right about the Art Hobby tube being part glass. There was only about an inch of antenna sticking out. I did carefully range check the thing before I flew it, even though Andre' said it should be all right.

I wonder if it would be okay to run a 72 MHz antenna along the outside of a carbon tube, or if that would blank it from certain directions?
oneniner is offline Find More Posts by oneniner
Last edited by oneniner; Sep 01, 2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:15 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneniner View Post
You must be right about the Art Hobby tube being part glass. There was only about an inch of antenna sticking out. I did carefully range check the thing before I flew it, even though Andre' said it should be all right.

I wonder if it would be okay to run a 72 MHz antenna along the outside of a carbon tube, or if that would blank it from certain directions?
It could blank it. While there is no absolute rule, it is best practice to keep the antenna as far away as practical from all electrical conductors - metal pushrods, carbon etc. On the Calypso you could probably tape it along the side or top of the fuselage and allow the excess to hang free out the back. I did that along the bottom of my old Radian after I layed carbon tow along each side of the fuselage to stiffen it up. Worked fine.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
Hi, rabshell.

I ran into the same problem with my ST ASW28 and there was a very simple fix. I just put a nut on the offending screw and ground about a millimeter off of said screw. Then I "chased" the threads with the nut and now everything pulls tight. My friend and I have also found that the horizontal stab of his Calypso needed a shim to get the incidence right and that prevented the same problem there.
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Old Sep 01, 2012, 11:55 AM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
I would hope so too. Give it a try first.

KRProton,

First, thank you for your considerate response to my loose tail. I cannot get the nut out, cemented in very well. I forced the screw through the nut which sort of cleaned up the threads a bit. And yes, for now it worked and the assembly is tight. However, I will ask LHS ( HobbyTown) for help to get replacement parts. I hope they are as helpful as your response.
rabshell is offline Find More Posts by rabshell
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:35 PM
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
3,863 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabshell View Post
KRProton,

First, thank you for your considerate response to my loose tail. I cannot get the nut out, cemented in very well. I forced the screw through the nut which sort of cleaned up the threads a bit. And yes, for now it worked and the assembly is tight. However, I will ask LHS ( HobbyTown) for help to get replacement parts. I hope they are as helpful as your response.
No sweat.

Where there's a will there's a way and I'm sure you could get that nut out if you were creative and really tried (heating it slightly with a soldering iron?), but no, you are not expected to fix it yourself.

If you cannot get replacement parts through your hobby shop shoot me a PM and we can get something going.

Tim
KRProton is online now Find More Posts by KRProton
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:43 PM
Va.Beach VA.
Joined Aug 2007
2,177 Posts
For the ARF folks. Found out that its been pushed back to October.
G-LO is offline Find More Posts by G-LO
Old Sep 01, 2012, 05:52 PM
Joined Aug 2012
42 Posts
Does anybody know if the RxR is still on schedule?
Himself is offline Find More Posts by Himself
Old Sep 01, 2012, 06:28 PM
Riley Winglow
Belt, Montana
Joined Feb 2007
289 Posts
I did that along the bottom of my old Radian after I layed carbon tow along each side of the fuselage to stiffen it up. Worked fine.[/QUOTE]

Good idea. Do you think the Calypso needs any stiffening on the fuselage, fore or aft?

Riley
oneniner is offline Find More Posts by oneniner
Old Sep 02, 2012, 11:42 AM
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,399 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneniner View Post
Good idea. Do you think the Calypso needs any stiffening on the fuselage, fore or aft?

Riley
Right now I'm only an interested lurker so I couldn't pass an opinion on the need for stiffening in the Calypso; however in some of the earlier posts there were comments that were enthusiastic about the Calypso stiffness. I know that all foam is a little flexible but I wouldn't add stiffening unless it really seemed floppy. The Radian has a fiberglass spine installed in the back of the fuselage but it's pretty thin and isn't glued in very well so isn't very effective.
Greywing is online now Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:43 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Calypso Down :-(

Put the Calypso up this morning. Having a great flight, tail feathers staying tight, flying great. Sitting in the chair watching a hawk, several buzzards and a Heron fly by. Everything is working great, very relaxing flight. About 19 minutes on the timer, flying about 75 feet up, nice and slow with a little up elevator.

With no warning, lost all power, no control. Dropped nose first into the foot high grassy field. Nose is wrinkled and bent back, fuse cracked by the servos and the lipo took a hit. First suspect was the lipo. Although I was only using it to regain altitude a few times, maybe the servos sucked up mor power than I assumed.
Checked the battery (nano tech 1800mah/ 25C) still has 11.89 volts.

Ok, not the battery. Now to check out ESC and that RTF Tactic rx.......
The plane was close. At the time, about 100 yds out. Earlier in flight it was a good 300 ft high, no issue. Any thoughts on this? Obvious loss of signal.

Good thing I was low when this happened.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 12:38 PM
United States, VT, Burlington
Joined Mar 2012
76 Posts
That's weird. Maybe tx battery? I've had my Calypso in the air for a few hours, and although it has nosed in twice, it was my fault both times. I've never had the tactic drop out. I fly it a few hundred feet up, and about a quarter mile out.
IamNabil is offline Find More Posts by IamNabil
Old Sep 03, 2012, 03:51 PM
Eastern PA
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNabil View Post
That's weird. Maybe tx battery? I've had my Calypso in the air for a few hours, and although it has nosed in twice, it was my fault both times. I've never had the tactic drop out. I fly it a few hundred feet up, and about a quarter mile out.
Tx battery level was 5.8v. I'm anal about looking at that. Plus DX6i beeps when voltage drops to 4.1v. Thanks, I appreciate the troubleshooting help.

Another possibility is the Tactic Anylink cable to my Tx. Although I was sitting in my chair motionless, I guess the connection(s) could have popped loose. I did check this after retrieving plane, seemed OK but still makes me wonder. The connections to the trainer and power ports click when pushed in. The wire that connects to the link doesn't do this, just a firm push. I'd rather have a compression clip to ensure the connection locks since it is vital.
Old Sep 03, 2012, 04:26 PM
Joined Apr 2012
2,756 Posts
Sorry to hear about the crash, rabshell. I try to add a drop of silicone to any connectors, including servos that don't get unplugged, that don't lock. I forgot to do that on the battery connector in my transmitter and it lost power completely while I was showing it to a friend. The barest touch returned power but it darn well would have caused a crash had it happened in flight. You can bet that connector won't come loose without a X-acto knife!

BTW. My friend did similar damage when he knocked his nose off. We cleaned the wounds with rubbing alcohol, gobbed it up with 15 minute epoxy, and taped it straight for a few hours. It hasn't flown a whole lot since but it's taken some hard pullouts without giving way!
peterlngh is offline Find More Posts by peterlngh
Last edited by peterlngh; Sep 03, 2012 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgetfullness.