HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 07:42 AM
MicroHelis-Humanoid Robotics
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
Discussion
Latest Choices for Ultra Micro (100 Sized) Indoor Heli

So I've been looking into the available choices of indoor 100 size heliz
I'm a moderate pilot, considering FP,CP and Quad helis and I've summed up my choices to

Walkera:
-Super FP or Genius FP "I don't know the difference between em"
-QR

Going Walkera,since I don't have any Walkera's would mean paying more to get the Devo's and then getting BNF of several Walkera helis, in this case maybe getting the QR with Devo and then getting Super FP BNF.

Blade:
-130X which is rather large sized compared to sizes in this category.
The 130X is relatively expensive, going Blade means considering a BNF mQX beauty!

Nine Eagles:
-Solo Pro 125

I'm a NE fan boy, I didn't get a solo pro 100D but seeing the pro 125 makes me want to grab one, the 125 is the cheapest choice for a CP , but NE has a limited choice of new helis, and no Quad announced yet.

your thoughts..
PicooMan is offline Find More Posts by PicooMan
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 07:55 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
None of your choices from these three brands are equivalent to each other. You are comparing a Walkera 100 FP to a Blade 120 CP, and a Nine Eagles 100 CP.

100 sized FP

Walkera Super FP
Walkera Genius FP (probably superseded by the Super FP)
Blade MSRX

100 sized CP

Blade MCPx
Walkera Mini CP
Walkera Genius CP (probably superseded by the Mini CP)
Solo Pro 125a

120 sized CP

Blade 130X
Walkera V120D02S

Where you live may play a role in your decision as you may want to have parts availability and support at your LHS.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; May 11, 2012 at 09:49 AM.
Old May 11, 2012, 08:54 AM
The flightless bird
Joined Aug 2004
2,295 Posts
I've been using the Ladybird and the Super FP to teach beginners lately (after they master the V911). The Ladybird is a lot of tun (I fly it the most out of all the helis in my fleet) but to prepare you for CP helis, the FP would probably teach you much more.

Here is the Super FP review if you would like to use it as reference

The Genius FP is not a good choice as there is a design problem that makes maintenance very hard to do. (if you break the landing gear, you have to replace the WHOLE frame)...

As to the CPs, again the Mini CP is a great choice..but the Genius CP isn't. That said, the Genius CP main motor is quite efficient so I suggest swapping it out.

as to the others..I don't have too much experience..so I'll leave that to others for comment.
jameschen072 is offline Find More Posts by jameschen072
RCG Plus Member
Old May 11, 2012, 09:38 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I have a Walkera Genius and Ladybird. I have the Blade MSR, MCPx and MQx. If I have to pick one, it would be the MQx. It's by far the most versatile and durable. I fly in my house in a very small area with lots of obstacles, so how much a heli is effected by air currents makes a big difference to me, especially how they react when you change directions. The most effected is the Genius, then the Ladybird, MCPx, MSR and MQx.

The MQx is largely uneffected. It can take off with one hand, ground effects don't bother it, either. It's very smooth and stable. It has excellent response. It's also big enough to fly outdoors and handles wind well.

The Ladybird is so small, it gives you a lot of room to fly. But, it's kind of skittish and response is a little mushy. It's definitely more of a challenge that the MQx.

The MSR (and MSRx) are pretty good indoor fliers. It has a tendency to follow air currents in the room I fly. My biggest complaint with this heli is the tail rotor. You have to be very careful with the rudder control.

The Genius is highly effected by air currents, especially when you turn. The MCPx is a little better in this respect. Both can get away from you easily and are better suited for outdoors.

All of the Walkera micros have very short flight times, less than 3 minutes for the Genius and about 5 for the Ladybird. The Blade helis are good for at least 6 minutes in the MCPx, 7 or 8 in the MSR and over 10 in the MQx.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old May 11, 2012, 09:55 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,699 Posts
and you leave out the SoloPro 100, even though this is by far the most affordable of all of them for 80$ including the J6Pro TX ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old May 11, 2012, 11:47 PM
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
Thanks for the informative replies guys!
I did leave out the "now older" SoloPro100D, as I already own the Solo Pro FP and Bravo SX so I had my eye on the "next gen cp" the Pro 125.

so to recompile my choices so far, leaving out the larger Blade 130X as I'm looking for ultra micro heli, I'm also leaving out the msr/solo pro FPs which I already own, the "newer" MsrX and new line of solo pro Fps just don't lure me in.

I'm readjusting my strategy, to mainly consider a RTF with TX as a choice that will outlast several BNF helis I'd get in the future, but I'm keeping my budget below $200 shipped.

Devo 7 tx
Walkera Super FP has this hobby grade feeling to it,stability and sharp flight that got me interested,and the LadyBird QR is a nice quad if I'm already going to pay up for a Devo tx, but both Walkera's have short flight time.

J6 tx
with a Solo Pro 125, that I'm heavily interested in,it seems rather good priced with RTF packs and will probably be stocked by my favorite vendors ClubHeli and MiracleMart, but leaves me to hope that NE would release a Quad compatible with it soon!

also I have big interest in the Blade MQx, and experience a nice quad! abandoning my tx strategy and just having Quad fun right away!
Old May 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
to add to the "mainstream" 100 heli sized choices.
are there any new Kyosho Minimum AD out recently? I check their website and their helis are at least 2 years old.
also anyone know if Hirobo ever considered the 100 size?
and what are Align's plans for this size?
any other choices?

ok lots of questions there!
Old May 12, 2012, 12:05 AM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PicooMan View Post
Thanks for the informative replies guys!
I did leave out the "now older" SoloPro100D, as I already own the Solo Pro FP and Bravo SX so I had my eye on the "next gen cp" the Pro 125.

so to recompile my choices so far, leaving out the larger Blade 130X as I'm looking for ultra micro heli, I'm also leaving out the msr/solo pro FPs which I already own, the "newer" MsrX and new line of solo pro Fps just don't lure me in.

I'm readjusting my strategy, to mainly consider a RTF with TX as a choice that will outlast several BNF helis I'd get in the future, but I'm keeping my budget below $200 shipped.

Devo 7 tx
Walkera Super FP has this hobby grade feeling to it,stability and sharp flight that got me interested,and the LadyBird QR is a nice quad if I'm already going to pay up for a Devo tx, but both Walkera's have short flight time.

J6 tx
with a Solo Pro 125, that I'm heavily interested in,it seems rather good priced with RTF packs and will probably be stocked by my favorite vendors ClubHeli and MiracleMart, but leaves me to hope that NE would release a Quad compatible with it soon!

also I have big interest in the Blade MQx, and experience a nice quad! abandoning my tx strategy and just having Quad fun right away!

just to re-iterate once more (and then IŽll be quiet .) ... A Solo Pro FP (which I own and which is a 4ch fix pitch heli) has about as much in common with a Solo Pro 100 (which I just got, and which is a collective pitch 6ch heli ... AND costs only 100$ shipped from the US warehouse WITH J6Pro TX) as a Ferrari F40 has with a Schwinn bike !!! But what do I know, I only was able to hover it 2 times for about a minute until now ...

OK, Žnuff said ...
erdnuckel2 is online now Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old May 12, 2012, 12:28 AM
Joined Jul 2007
233 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
just to re-iterate once more...
I definitely know what you mean, I'm not considering any NE FP, only CP's "which are 100D and 125 so far", but even with the attractive Pro 100D pricing, I still want to skip it and go to the "newer/better" Pro 125.
it's the Ferrari F50 vs. F40, but wait the F40 was a better car so it doesn't work in this comparison
Old May 12, 2012, 12:35 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
I'll tell you, I'm getting real annoyed with the short flight times on my Walkera Genius and Ladybird. I may sell them both real cheap along with my Devo 7.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:13 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
Balr; I get 7 mins on my Ladybird and 6 on my Mini...not exactly short times.

In order of use and what I like out of my helis this is what I use in my 120 and smaller helis.

Mini CP
V120D02S
QRLadybird
V200D03 (not micro though =P)
Solo Pro 180
MCPX v2
Solo Pro 100

The MCPX and Solo Pro 100 I gave away to my brother and a friend.
I LOVE my brushless Mini...if you dont have the cash to go brushless and the short stock flight time is a deal breaker, the 120D02S is BL and gets like over 8 mins on Nanotech 950mah 35c lipos.
I love my Walkeras, havent found anything I like more for the sub-250 size.
The Solo Pro 180 actually flies great too, but not near tough as the D02s. Ive got D02S RXs in them so I can use my Devo 12S with them but they flew great stock RX too.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 12, 2012, 01:49 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,295 Posts
Balr; you seem to be the only person having short flight times with the Genius CP. I get over 6 minutes on stock batteries as well. The stock batteries are awful though and wear out quickly and this is perhaps where you problem is. The short flight times of the Mini CP is well known though but you can still get over 4 minutes with 350 mAH.

I think the most impressive 100 sized CP is the Mini CP. It is in a completely different class altogether with regards to stability and power. The V120D02S is a great machine with which I learnt basic 3D. However, it is not as durable as the 100 sized CPs though.
zadaw is offline Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; May 12, 2012 at 02:08 AM.
Old May 12, 2012, 01:58 AM
Perpetually covered in resin
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2011
555 Posts
The Mini is the most stable micro CP heli ive ever flown, and ive either owned or flown them all.
If you want a micro CP heli and are new to CP it is hands down the winner. When set up right it can hands free hover and goea where you tell it all while easily being tamed in TX settings.
If you want extreme 3d you will need to upgrade it but that isnt what youre looking for from what I can see.
Only thing you need to do if you get the Mini is go brushless ($40+) or install a Genius main motor and gear ($20) so you can have 5+min flights.
RawmadeCF is offline Find More Posts by RawmadeCF
Old May 12, 2012, 11:03 AM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,486 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
Balr; you seem to be the only person having short flight times with the Genius CP. I get over 6 minutes on stock batteries as well. The stock batteries are awful though and wear out quickly and this is perhaps where you problem is. The short flight times of the Mini CP is well known though but you can still get over 4 minutes with 350 mAH.
I have noticed flight times are a lot shorter than they used to be, so maybe it is just the stock batteries are the problem. But, I don't want to invest any more money in those two helis.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:47 AM
Joined Aug 2006
819 Posts
I agree with erdnuckel that the attraction of the sp 100 is the low price. sure, the sp 125 looks a lot more refined, but it is also scarce. and what about parts?

for me, once the price exceeds $150, I'd be more interested in the mcpx even with a dx4. you can always sell the dx4 and pick up a dx6i.
derelicte is offline Find More Posts by derelicte