SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:43 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
it is a tad too orange by my eye, maybe just needs toning down a bit! fantastic looking engine though!

Cheer
Craig
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:46 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. You could always weather it a bit to change the shade and dirty it up.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Oct 25, 2012, 04:51 PM
Low rates are for wimps
United States, CO, Colorado Springs
Joined May 2008
3,424 Posts
Add a wash of silver, then another thin one of black and it might turn out very nicely!
bwoollia is offline Find More Posts by bwoollia
Old Oct 25, 2012, 05:28 PM
Cut it twice, still too short
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
I didn't like it at all, I just gave it a coat of satin black but I have to go to the LHS tomorrow so I'll see what they have in a spray can, maybe like a burnt metal or something. All I have here is Testors enamel and I don't want to brush another coat on.
dglo is offline Find More Posts by dglo
Old Oct 25, 2012, 09:41 PM
Jungmeister 55
Orlando Herndon, Florida, United States
Joined Sep 2002
3,462 Posts
Hi dglo,

I just found this thread!!. exciting subject you got here.

I scratchbuilt a 43" wingspan Jungmeister and I couldn't ge happier with the results...although I haven't flown it lately I did fly it many times very much to my satisfaction.

I'm attaching three photos of mine and a link to my thread post the day of the maiden flight in case you wanna check it.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=368

I will be following this thread closely...can't wait to see your flying!!.

Gerry.
simano is offline Find More Posts by simano
Old Oct 26, 2012, 04:36 AM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
dglo,

Gerry has done a super job on his Bucker Jungmeister and there will always be experimentation with power system and perhaps propeller selection there is a few power system improvements at:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...269119&page=28

Also, check out some wonderful pictures from our David Hart (RC and Real Warbird Photographer) took of Gerry's Bucker! A little about David:
http://www.warbirdandrcairplanephoto...om/aboutme.htm

PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by PittSpecial; Oct 26, 2012 at 04:50 AM.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:25 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Nice looking Bucker Gerry, very nice flying too, hard to believe that was the maiden flight, looked very smooth.

Went to the LHS today and picked up some odds and ends, then repainted the exhaust with metallic copper, and dry brushed some flat black to dirty it up a bit and am much happier with the result. Movin on. Want to get the motor and cowl mounted next then I don't know, maybe start covering? Still a lot to do.
Old Oct 26, 2012, 07:48 PM
What's 3D?
Australia, WA, Ellenbrook
Joined Feb 2008
3,316 Posts
That looks much better, very nice!
trumps is offline Find More Posts by trumps
Old Oct 26, 2012, 08:06 PM
a.k.a Maltone
Australia, NSW, Goulburn
Joined Jan 2005
6,924 Posts
The exhaust ring looks much better now To add a slight metallic look, I rub on a tiny bit of pencil-lead graphite - just enoug to give shine. But it also accentuates any roughness in the finish.......
Pat
Pat Lynch is offline Find More Posts by Pat Lynch
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: A Small Diversion From Annie
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Question: The more I research the subject, the more confused I get. Should I install a seperate switching bec? I'll be using a scorpion commander 70 amp esc with a 5v 4amp linear bec on 3s lipo. From what I can figure out this is kind of borderline as to wether to use a seperate bec or not. Any help? I'm using 2 Hitec HS635HB servos on elev and rud and 2 HS225BB servos on the ailerons.

Thanks,
Doug
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:32 AM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dglo View Post
Question: The more I research the subject, the more confused I get. Should I install a seperate switching bec?
Thanks,
Doug
Yes, yes, absolutely yes. Linear BEC's aren't the greatest to begin with. Definately install a switching BEC, or use a separate battery pack for the receiver and servos.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:06 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Thanks for the timely and definitive response Frank. All my other electrics are 2s and it was never an issue before. Just ordered a Dimension Eng. Sportbec. If I'd thought about it before I should have ordered an esc with a switching bec, probably would have been about the same price and an easier install. Live and learn.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 01:28 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,463 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the timely and definitive response Frank. All my other electrics are 2s and it was never an issue before. Just ordered a Dimension Eng. Sportbec. If I'd thought about it before I should have ordered an esc with a switching bec, probably would have been about the same price and an easier install. Live and learn.
There is a degree of redundancy in having them separate. If your ESC fries, then you still have power to the radio with a separate BEC.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 06:18 PM
Right Rudder
USA, FL, Orlando
Joined Nov 2010
9,675 Posts
Quote:
Question: The more I research the subject, the more confused I get. Should I install a seperate switching bec? I'll be using a scorpion commander 70 amp esc with a 5v 4amp linear bec on 3s lipo. From what I can figure out this is kind of borderline as to wether to use a seperate bec or not. Any help? I'm using 2 Hitec HS635HB servos on elev and rud and 2 HS225BB servos on the ailerons.

Thanks,
Doug
Doug,

I use separate Battery Pack with switch Harness for my larger Glow-To-Electric conversions. With the External BEC providing power to your servos and most importantly Receiver, you are still dependent to your Flight Battery. I can tell you a few of my RC Flying Buddies learned the hard way that yes, even though you have a very good quality External BEC the changes are that if your Motor gets into trouble (like throw a magnet 'or' worse a winding snaps and gets jammed with the rotating housing - assuming outrunner) your ESC will blow and at times your flight battery contacts as well due to the large back EMF of motor all of a sudden stopping.

With any high energy power system beyond 3-Cell Li-POLYs, I like to go completely separate and use traditional GLOW setup and use Separate Battery Pack with switch hardness to power the Receiver and Servos. The ESC will be used just to control and provide commutation to the Power System so, and all you have to do is take out the RED Wire pin from ESC before you hook up to Receiver assuming you go separate Battery Pack setup. This way, no matter what happens to the power system you will still have complete control over your model.

Just my 0.02 Cents worth.
PittSpecial is offline Find More Posts by PittSpecial
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 09:19 PM
Bay City, MI
Joined Oct 2007
647 Posts
Thanks for the input Frank and Pitt. In my way of thinking, I like to keep things as simple as possible, in fact some say I'm simple minded. I think you could probably apply enough redundancy and "better safe than sorry" measures that this thing would weigh 15 lbs. Believe me, I'm much more likely to have a crash due to pilot error than any kind of malfunction. Besides, I only fly these planes so I can justify building them