HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:21 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Well yeah, its a geometry issue. You are limited in the pull direction as you get farther and farther on the pull side the geometry gets to the point where it wants to pull the horn out of the surface. Since its glued in the servo, especially digitals, will keep trying to pull before it burns up or browns out the receiver.

You want to setup the surface so that its a bit before this, measure it and then apply a push to the servo so that its equivalent in throw to the pull direction.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 30, 2012, 05:54 PM
Burke, VA
Joined Sep 2009
5,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
I usually harrier land most of my planes but my big prop 48" planes I land regularly. I fly with a building behind me that can create some weird air currents when it gets windy and I've found a straight shot is typically the best way to bring it in during wind.
Have you tried a mix with a little down elevator at low throttle? I've never given it a try but I hear it helps.
jetinteriorguy is offline Find More Posts by jetinteriorguy
Old Aug 30, 2012, 06:37 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetinteriorguy View Post
Have you tried a mix with a little down elevator at low throttle? I've never given it a try but I hear it helps.
No I would like to give it a try for spekteum radios. I know its down at 3% for closed throttle though.

My dx8 is one of my first radios where I have used mixes. I finally got used to a keep mix on all my planes so would like to try this throttle mix
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:29 PM
United States, CA, Palos Verdes Peninsula
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Anyone know how to get a replacement side force generator (red)? It doesn't look like it's a replacement part in the EF store.

Mine tore off trying out a crankshaft. At first I thought I had ejected a battery and the canopy with it - thankfully that wasn't the case and was able to land without further incident. Maybe I'll just put the racing tips on - do like how the MXS flies with the SFGs though.
Jboy90277 is offline Find More Posts by Jboy90277
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:40 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
they get them in from time to time, call them up for a replacement
Old Aug 31, 2012, 09:50 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stgdz View Post
they get them in from time to time, call them up for a replacement
Thanks will do that.
Old Aug 31, 2012, 10:03 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
Joined Jul 2011
3,866 Posts
Also the mxs, laser, and extra all use the same size SFG. The edge is larger.
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:31 AM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jboy90277 View Post
Anyone know how to get a replacement side force generator (red)? It doesn't look like it's a replacement part in the EF store.
If you have the broken one they are easy to repair, just remove the covering, CA the busted balsa, and re-cover. Even if you don't have all the bits of the original one they could be built from scratch in no time at all.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Sep 01, 2012, 09:53 AM
United States, AK, Anchorage
Joined Oct 2011
4,699 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post
If you have the broken one they are easy to repair, just remove the covering, CA the busted balsa, and re-cover. Even if you don't have all the bits of the original one they could be built from scratch in no time at all.

Steve
+1... I did this a few times
bryansifsof44 is offline Find More Posts by bryansifsof44
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Weights for planes
Old Sep 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetPlaneFlyer View Post

Steve
No broken one on hand. The one that came off did so in flight in a strong wind. I had to take my eyes off of it to land, so there's no chance of finding it. I guess I could make one using the remaining one as a template. I'm not sure I'm that motivated though. I'll give the racing tips a try first -been meaning to try them. Thanks.
Old Sep 02, 2012, 12:27 AM
can't buy vaporware
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Nov 2011
8,486 Posts
Had lots of fun with my 48" MXS today. Love this plane.
7oneWo1f is offline Find More Posts by 7oneWo1f
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:12 PM
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Feb 2012
129 Posts
During a FULL Power Snap Roll yesterday I managed to Pop the control horn free from the right Aileron

I managed to get her down in some tall grass without too much damage (Cracked paint on the Cowl and a cracked spinner) Looks like Today ill be using some epoxy to fix this as I used a very generous amount of CA to lock it in the first time, and Possibly a road trip to the EF office on Tuesday to pick up a new Cowl and spinner so I can have my MXS looking good as new for next weekend
zhavener is offline Find More Posts by zhavener
Old Sep 02, 2012, 03:19 PM
United States, GA, Cumming
Joined Feb 2004
2,335 Posts
zhavener, it hard to tell from the picture, but did you scuff up the shank of the control horn before gluing? This is essential to get the adhesive to adhere to the control horn.
EXTREME FLIGHT is online now Find More Posts by EXTREME FLIGHT
Site Sponsor
Old Sep 02, 2012, 04:03 PM
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Feb 2012
129 Posts
I am sure that I "scuffed it up" before gluing it in, however I can not remember what Grit paper I used. Apparently it was too fine. Ill scuff it again with 80 grit tonight before I glue it back in.

I will say this little beast is TOUGH others at my club have put their planes down in the same spot that I did and under much more control suffering much more damage than I did!

Great Design Chris!!!
zhavener is offline Find More Posts by zhavener
Old Sep 02, 2012, 06:57 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,224 Posts
Chris is right about scuffing up the control horn. The surface is so smooth that nothing can get a bite on it. That, and I believe there might also be some mold release compound still on it. I use a coarse emery board and keep one in my blight box. Those are real handy to have around because I'm always looking for a bit of sandpaper for something, and the board is right there.
Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin