SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Mar 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Apr 2009
431 Posts
Discussion
upgrade to larger ailerons on arf before building?

i have a 25 size arf im putting together for electric. wing span is 44 inches. it has 1 inch strip ailerons and Im wondering if I shouldn't replace them with larger ones (maybe 2 inch strip) right from the get go. also similar enlargemtn for stab and rudder. Any down side to this?
paulatgis is offline Find More Posts by paulatgis
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2010, 04:13 PM
Just "hanging" Around
Richmond, VA
Joined Oct 2009
1,589 Posts
It will move the aerodynamic neutral point back slightly because of the extended wing chord that you will create which shouldn't cause any issues. I have seen folks do that with foamies with little or no consequences. If you have the building skills, give it a shot and see how if flies.

I don't have the skills or time acquire skills and futz with things. So, I generally just buy planes that are already designed to meet my needs... aka larger ailerons, and control surfaces etc.

Good luck.
3D-Dabbler is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Dabbler