SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 07, 2009, 10:02 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,450 Posts
Build Log
Tigerline F-86 Sabre build & thoughts

I went searching this thread for a build log before ordering this kit and found nothing. Looks like I'm the guinea pig on this one.
I can't complain about the shipping time as mine arrived in less than 2 weeks after placing the order. I do think it's a little overpriced for the qc factor of components but a good looking model. It wouldn't surprise me to find that the company producing this kit is the same as the 101mm jets sold by nitroplanes. (I just picked up one of those from the fsw thread and they sure do look a lot alike in hardware)
bill34207 is online now Find More Posts by bill34207
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: 12 o'clock high 2014
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:11 PM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,300 Posts
I was gonna say, it looks verrrry familiar to the one nitroplanes sells, just with a 1/2 @$$ed attempt at making it a traditional Sabre nose...

You gonna make it EDF??
If it flies anything like Mike Pope's nitroplanes F-86D I think you'l be a happy camper

Vic
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 07, 2009, 11:48 PM
EDF all the way!
Gilbert, Az
Joined Jun 1999
8,020 Posts
This is an EDF model. This one is smaller than Mike's F-86D. It's designed for the
100mm fan. Hopefully Nitro planes will carry these one of these days. Good luck with your build Bill. It should be a good flier. What power system are you going to use?
Bob
bruff is offline Find More Posts by bruff
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:03 AM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,482 Posts
Its really nice looking. Did you get retracts with it or are you just using fixed.

I'm a retract nut. I even put air retracts on my parkzone t-28.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:15 AM
Fly allot, Crash allot, next?
United States, CA, Corona
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
Is this the same model that the big hoopla was about? LOL

It looks pretty good to me. Can't wait to see the build on it.
SCALEFAN is offline Find More Posts by SCALEFAN
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:21 AM
deltas are cool
Tehachapi ,CA.
Joined Apr 2006
21,157 Posts
you got a link for this plane with the specs?
AIR SALLY is offline Find More Posts by AIR SALLY
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:39 AM
Team EJF >>>WHOOSH>>>
Joined Jul 2004
5,300 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruff
This one is smaller than Mike's F-86D designed for the
100mm fan.
On second glance it does look to be a little smaller.
Good call Bob
AceMigKiller is offline Find More Posts by AceMigKiller
Old Jul 08, 2009, 12:58 AM
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
http://easytigermodels.com/index.php...products_id=45

Is this it?
Old Jul 08, 2009, 01:25 AM
United States, GA, Columbus
Joined Mar 2002
1,125 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
Is this the same model that the big hoopla was about? LOL

It looks pretty good to me. Can't wait to see the build on it.

Looks to be.
Someone is finally going to do a build thread on it after all.
JIMinKENTUCKY is online now Find More Posts by JIMinKENTUCKY
Old Jul 08, 2009, 06:14 AM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,450 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCALEFAN
That is the link for the kit. I ordered it and the 101 mm fan at the same time. For power will be using a mega 22-30-2F I've had laying around for a while. I'll get some more pix up tonight. Or, if you're in a hurry check here. http://www.manatee-rc.com/Projects/Sabre.html

I actually finished the build last night before starting this build thread. It does build fairly fast as I finished it in a week while working a full time job.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by bill34207; Jul 08, 2009 at 06:24 AM.
Old Jul 08, 2009, 02:28 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
Bill,

What a good build thread, thanks for posting the link, you really helped anyone that builds this plane in the future. Hopefully others will use this infor as guide on how to do a build thread on all planes, not just the this F-86

Short
Concise
Covered the weak points and the fixes
Pictures to display the questionable areas
Most of all, it was honest.

Hopefully in the future you will post your own video of how the plane flies and add to this build thread.

Based on your build, and how easy it looks, I probably will buy this kit, as I have spare EDF setups that are twin brothers to the one you used.

OH, one question. Any room for retracts, is the plane built to accept them?

Al
Old Jul 08, 2009, 07:46 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,450 Posts
Thanks Al
I plan to post a flight video as soon as I have a chance to get one done. Maybe as soon as this coming weekend weather and time permitting. I mostly started this thread for the benefit of anyone else contemplating the kit. It was a quick & easy build doing it without any extra mods.

Retracts could be done but it would take a bit of re-design on what you get. The main gear blocks are pre-installed in the wing and I really didn't want to cut them out not knowing what I'd find underneath. The nose gear would be easier than the mains on this one. I didn't actually check the fit but am pretty sure you could slip a Robart mini tank in behind the fan along the fuse side. There's actually an extra servo opening ahead of the right elevator servo location that could be used for retract servo & valve location.

I've heard a lot of bad talk in assorted rcg threads regarding easytiger and was a little hesitant ordering the kit because of it. On my own experience he's not a bad guy though. I called to verify whether it was in stock or not before ordering and had my kit in about 10 days. I sent him the link to my build page, too. I've already heard back from him that the L-39 they sell does come retract ready. (I was interested in one of those at the same time I ordered the Sabre but they were not in stock at that time.)
Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hawk Fanatic
United States, KY, Louisville
Joined Jul 2008
7,482 Posts
I've spoke to Curtis a few times now too. He does seem like a very nice guy. I ordered the F-22 foamie from him. It came in today.

I didn't want to hijack your thread, but, I did want to chime in on the experience I had with Curtis and how nice he was over the phone.

I wanted to give him the benefit of the doubt especially after that last thread.
SkylineFlyer is online now Find More Posts by SkylineFlyer
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:09 PM
Redneck Injuneer
Bradenton, Florida
Joined Aug 2007
6,450 Posts
After posting the link this build thread is pretty much already out of the bag but this will still make a good backup in the event of technical difficulties at my own website.

Day two consisted of adding ca to the pre-installed hinges and trying to get the wrinkles out of the covering on the wings. Trying is the key word here. I still have wrinkles. Also decided against retracts due to the main gear blocks being pre installed at the factory.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 08, 2009, 08:23 PM
Joined Feb 2006
7,246 Posts
Bill,

I can get them there wrinkles out. Don't even try the iron at this point. The iron never worked for me getting the wrinkles out of the covering. I constantly have to use the air gun.

This covering material is hard to predict, I blow heat, nothing happens, pull the gun away and as the covering cools, and it shrinks as it cools. dah? Anyhow, with patience and a waving action of the heat gun those wrinkles will come out and be perfect. LOL...I have to laugh, because after sitting in this dry heat ya have to remove wrinkles before each flight, the wood dries and shrinks.

I use a similar method of wrinkle removeal for my face. I stick into a strong wind, like 80 plus MPH, and the wrinkles are gone. LOL

keep on posting.

Al
Last edited by SCALEFAN; Jul 08, 2009 at 08:33 PM.