HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 26, 2002, 04:34 PM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Top Flite Kits

Does anyone know if there are aerodynamic/performance differences between the older Top Flite scale kits and the current Gold Edition kits?

I've got a red box P-40 (Dave Platt plans) that I picked up some time ago at a garage sale. Much of the kit wood wouldn't make it into an electric version (seems awfully heavy), but I could use the die-cutting as templates for lighter replacements.

Would it be worth pursuing construction or is one better off with a Gold Edition kit?

Incidentally, you have to love the detailed instructions for this red box kit. There are only 12 or so steps to building the plane, as detailed on the plans.
Brian Nixon is offline Find More Posts by Brian Nixon
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 26, 2002, 07:32 PM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,961 Posts
Re: Top Flite Kits

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Brian Nixon
Does anyone know if there are aerodynamic/performance differences between the older Top Flite scale kits and the current Gold Edition kits?

There are a lot of structural and some aerodynamic differences. For example, the tail surfaces of the red-box P-47 are 1/4" sheet stock, while those on the Gold Edition are built up. The old Jug uses a rather cheesy symmetrical foil, while the Gold Edition uses a Selig foil that's said to perform especially well.

When you get right down to it, the old red-box Top Flite kits were pretty mediocre (my opinion).

I've got a red box P-40 (Dave Platt plans) that I picked up some time ago at a garage sale. Much of the kit wood wouldn't make it into an electric version (seems awfully heavy), but I could use the die-cutting as templates for lighter replacements.

Would it be worth pursuing construction or is one better off with a Gold Edition kit?

Incidentally, you have to love the detailed instructions for this red box kit. There are only 12 or so steps to building the plane, as detailed on the plans.

(grin) That's the way my Jug was. The "instructions" were basically a leaflet.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Feb 26, 2002, 07:33 PM
Winnipeg, MB Canada
Joined Jan 2000
2,419 Posts
Top Flite Lumber

I'll tell you right now that Top Flite wood still stinks! Big Time. Don't plan on using much of a Gold Edition kit either, if you want a reasonably light plane. Most of it makes good templates. Tex.
Sabrejock is offline Find More Posts by Sabrejock
Old Feb 26, 2002, 09:23 PM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Quote:
That's the way my Jug was. The "instructions" were basically a leaflet.
You have to appreciate the "good old days." It was presumed that if you bought the kit, you had a good idea how to build it. There's no leaflet in this P-40 kit. The instructions, quite literally, are on the plans.
Old Feb 26, 2002, 10:02 PM
aka neweflyer
Vancouver, wa
Joined Feb 2000
354 Posts
TOP FLIGHT

I agree, you might as well by the gold edition kit, use it for templates and then sell it to a freind that flies gas planes.
grant
Grant Lord is offline Find More Posts by Grant Lord
Old Feb 26, 2002, 11:23 PM
Lansing, KS, USA
Joined Jan 2002
1,453 Posts
Re: Re: Top Flite Kits

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Ryan

There are a lot of structural and some aerodynamic differences. For example, the tail surfaces of the red-box P-47 are 1/4" sheet stock, while those on the Gold Edition are built up. The old Jug uses a rather cheesy symmetrical foil, while the Gold Edition uses a Selig foil that's said to perform especially well.

Jim
Yeah, but I still remember my old TF P-47 as one of the best flying models I ever had.

Charlie
radfordc is offline Find More Posts by radfordc
Old Feb 27, 2002, 02:42 PM
Visitor from Reality
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Dec 1996
12,788 Posts
Hi Brian
That'll never fly on a geared Endo

One thing that's worth checking is not only for scale accuracy, but for survival.

The moments of some of these old kits owed more to the length of a 36" sheet of balsa than anything else. Tom Hunt's Pica Spitfire was a lot touchious in pitch - tracked down to the scale sized tailplane being several inches too close to the wing, due to that 36" rule above. It was short of the scale position, never mind a good flying position

These older kits are diabolic - I have a real cute Sig Smith Miniplane bipe that has basically got two fuselage frames, one inside the other, and the spars have been moved away from the interplane strut positions - this leaves the struts mounted to unsupported ribs. The model would make a lovely 16 cell ship, based on size, but only by propping up the cowl and making another framework behind it.

Find a kit collector, peddle off your antique, buy the new TF kit plus spare mouldings, use it as templates and then peddle that off at the next bring and buy.
Dereck is offline Find More Posts by Dereck
Old Feb 27, 2002, 03:19 PM
Clifton, Va., USA
Joined Sep 2000
632 Posts
Quote:
That'll never fly on a geared Endo
Hey, Dereck. Yep, Maxcim territory, I think. Suffice it to say this is a long-term project possibility.

You really think the old kit would be that bad? I don't see anything alarming when I look over the plans. There's washout--always a good thing to see in a project like this--and the moments and arrangements look sensible.

I'll bring the plans along with me next time we're out and you can give me an assessment.
Old Feb 27, 2002, 09:25 PM
D.G.B.
Southington, Connecticut, United States
Joined Jun 2000
2,952 Posts
These old t/f kits sound like old JEMCO kits.i bought one on ebay last fall and tried my first glow to electric conversion all i can say is it was like four slabs of 1/2 balsa glued then you carved and rounded the sides!! Howed you like a 50"w.s. plane at 5 1/2 lbs!! (it was a p/t 19) It had a foam core wing too. So anybody see's these kits for sale,STAY AWAY!! good luck ,stefanP
KOMET 44 is offline Find More Posts by KOMET 44