HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:10 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,230 Posts
Discussion
Converting Ron Anderson Speedeebilts

Has anybody had recent success in converting Ron Anderson's Speedeebilt reproduction models to micro electric powered RC?

As I kid, I flew the PT-17 with a Spitzy .045 glow engine by U-control and the F-86 with Jetex 50 power on a tether.

I am attaching Ron's Catalog to this post for any that might be interested.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 22, 2013, 02:05 PM
United States, CA, Garden Grove
Joined Oct 2000
12,230 Posts
Got an e-mail from Ron saying most attempts to convert weren't very successful, too heavy for wing area. I think that with some stubborness, lightening and care in selecting micro power and RC gear, the PT-17 might be convertible. Lighten the tail feathers using foam plastic plate material, make holes in slab balsa sides. Maybe sand wing material to lighten it and mount battery pack, etc. as far forward as needed to having to add nose weight.
E-Challenged is offline Find More Posts by E-Challenged
Old Apr 23, 2013, 12:11 PM
Elmhurst, NY (Queens in NYC)
Joined Apr 2004
7,061 Posts
What happened to "Give me enough power and I can fly a bern door"?

My first fully successful balsa model was the Speedeebilt cub. I had earlier balsa planes that I flew but usually incomplete or poorly covered. I actually learned to apply tissue on the Speedeebilts because they only used small patches.

Pete
PeteSchug is offline Find More Posts by PeteSchug