HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 28, 2013, 09:55 PM
Hope is not a Strategy
Australia, VIC, Caroline Springs
Joined Apr 2011
1,475 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigrrr View Post
I note the word "relaxing" used a lot. It normally is, when you fly stable floaty thermal machines like I do.

But other times the flying is exciting, often leading to shear terror.
Terror to include:

1. Can't find the plane at high altitude; very easy to lose your perfect bird.

2. At high altitude it is easy to exceed red line speed and blow the wing up. The landing and retrieval can be exciting.

But the thing that really gives me bliss is flying with those beautiful raptors.

Craig
+1

I'd also like to add to that when flying high speed slope it is an adrenalin rush unmatched by any other form of the hobby
Lojik is offline Find More Posts by Lojik
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:02 AM
Joined Mar 2013
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lojik View Post
+1

I'd also like to add to that when flying high speed slope it is an adrenalin rush unmatched by any other form of the hobby
sailplanes can be seen better in a distance so higher flying is possible without any fpv help. They are also better for camera carrying because of their stable flight. Personally I like them because of there fluent way of moving, it seems to have a different effect on your mind when flying gliders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUi7chgBdwA
tee4two is offline Find More Posts by tee4two
Old Apr 29, 2013, 12:44 AM
United States, CA, Santa Ana
Joined Jul 2010
479 Posts
My avatar says it all, flying with wing man, or girl !!

Ross
harborflyer is offline Find More Posts by harborflyer
Old Apr 29, 2013, 01:33 AM
Knobbs
Friday Harbor, WA -San Juan Island
Joined Aug 2008
479 Posts
Nice vid there tee4two, some pretty scenic...scenery. Where was that stuff taken? No location posted on vid or your avatar.

Rishelman
Rishelman is offline Find More Posts by Rishelman
Old Apr 30, 2013, 05:10 PM
Bouras Slope Flyers
Athens, Greece
Joined Mar 2008
480 Posts
All your previous experience on any rc flying will really help you with sailplanes, thats for sure.

What sold me on sailplanes, is the fact that i was able to fly, at that free weekend, no matter if it was dead calm or blowing a severe gale. I missed free weekends when flying helis and wind was blowing at, 20+kn.

Ohh,not to forget that what you would invest on a single 600 blinged out heli, would get you 2 dedicated sail weapons, i count a gone bad inverted tunnel on the bill also. Things can't go bad that easily on sailplanes. :thumbup:
FRIDAY_2008 is online now Find More Posts by FRIDAY_2008
Old May 02, 2013, 11:43 AM
United States, CA, Thousand Oaks
Joined Sep 2010
218 Posts
I've flown everything from indoor freeflight to R/C pattern, since 1974, and I always come back to sailplanes. The beauty of soaring is that you can make it as simple or complicated as you like. As much as I hate to admit it, I still keep a Mark's Models Windward ready to go, and I've found I can have as much fun tossing that off of a local hill as I have with any power model. Soaring is also a great way to get new blood into the hobby, because they can get into the air for a minimal investment.
Moeregaard is offline Find More Posts by Moeregaard
Old May 05, 2013, 11:27 AM
Canada
Joined Jul 2003
2,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tee4two View Post
sailplanes can be seen better in a distance so higher flying is possible without any fpv help. They are also better for camera carrying because of their stable flight. Personally I like them because of there fluent way of moving, it seems to have a different effect on your mind when flying gliders.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUi7chgBdwA

about this vid, in my opinion
there isn't much further away from SOARING
as an electrified FPV piloted Radian.

Cheers
Thomas
wakumann is online now Find More Posts by wakumann
RCG Plus Member
Old May 05, 2013, 12:04 PM
Crestview, Florida
Joined Dec 2005
631 Posts
You are right Thomas!!
Tappet is offline Find More Posts by Tappet
Old May 05, 2013, 10:29 PM
United States, CA, Rancho Palos Verdes
Joined Mar 2012
48 Posts
Sailplanes don't fight the wind like power planes, they own the wind.

They are both the fastest and slowest form of rc flying.
Look up Dynamic Soaring (DS) speed records videos.
Then look up Ultrabatics videos.
Those are the extremes and there's everything in between.
Sailplanes are simply awesome.
Febtober29 is offline Find More Posts by Febtober29