HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:00 AM
Registered User
Freakazoid's Avatar
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Question
Smallest possible multicopter controller?

I was wondering, what are currently the smallest multiwii controllers?
I found a nano controller, though with its mountholes still at 35mm its smaller size is moot.
Id like to see something even smaller, with only the solder pads necessary, to be mounted gyro-style, with a foam pad.

Anyone know of a poststamp sized controller?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Last edited by Freakazoid; Mar 14, 2013 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:43 AM
User
Colorado
Joined Oct 2004
1,424 Posts
The entire control board (RF receiver, FC, ESC) of a Walkera Laydbird quad is only about 20x20mm - perhaps you can hack into it?
rmteo is offline Find More Posts by rmteo
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:28 AM
g0t rabb1t?
ABLomas's Avatar
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,652 Posts

Not available on TC store, but ask him - he still has some.
I used it as aircraft stabilizer and as copter controller. Works with baseflight - MultiWii 32 bit version.
Low price (~35$ all included), very small dimensions and low weight - good for anything, from flying wings, airplanes and DLG (that was original idea - to use it as variometer for DLG (that's why it has baro) and get aditional stabilisation and navigation, including auto thermalling), to multicopters ;-)
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:42 AM
Registered User
JWinNewPhila's Avatar
United States, OH, New Philadelphia
Joined Jul 2012
148 Posts
The "Flip" from Witespy is only 35mm X 35mm. And has on board micro usb for programming. And it's only $20!

Click here....

And HERE is the thread about it.
JWinNewPhila is offline Find More Posts by JWinNewPhila
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:26 PM
Registered User
Freakazoid's Avatar
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmteo View Post
The entire control board (RF receiver, FC, ESC) of a Walkera Laydbird quad is only about 20x20mm - perhaps you can hack into it?
Those things are fun, they take a lot of abuse but they are too "standard" for me now.
Im trying to steer clear of both brushed motors and proprietary rx/tx systems.
I've got a method to make an assan RX only 1.8grams and output up to 12 channels PPMsum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABLomas View Post
Not available on TC store, but ask him - he still has some.
I used it as aircraft stabilizer and as copter controller. Works with baseflight - MultiWii 32 bit version.
Low price (~35$ all included), very small dimensions and low weight - good for anything, from flying wings, airplanes and DLG (that was original idea - to use it as variometer for DLG (that's why it has baro) and get aditional stabilisation and navigation, including auto thermalling), to multicopters ;-)
Oh, thats the gravy, right there.
That thing would pretty much shrinkwrap right ontop of a stripped assan receiver, making it stupendously small.
No hexacopter option is a bit unfortunate though. Do you happen to know what sensors are on it?
Im also not quite sure what multiwii 32bit is, im used to working with straight up conventional multiwii.
edit: Well aint that something, its exactly the same size as a stripped assan receiver. Was that on purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWinNewPhila View Post
The "Flip" from Witespy is only 35mm X 35mm. And has on board micro usb for programming. And it's only $20!

Click here....

And HERE is the thread about it.
I got a similar one to those. Still too lumpy for a 1 celled setup though.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 01:45 PM
g0t rabb1t?
ABLomas's Avatar
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Do you happen to know what sensors are on it?
Sure, MPU6050 + BMP085.

And... No hex options, etc - because it was designed for micro-airplanes/gliders, but could work for copters also...
You could simply solder aditional needed pins to MCU, but... Too much work just to have "micro" FC.
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 02:56 PM
Registered User
Freakazoid's Avatar
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Sensors are nothing to sneeze at, pretty darn good for that kinda money.
I dont think my hand is steady enough to be messing with 0.2mm spacing on that MCU.
A redicilously small quaddy should be alright with that board though, I think.
Just one question though, who's TC?

And can you explain what multiwii 32bit entails?
Do I need a completely different instructionset?
The "traditional" arduino firmware wont work I take it?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mmmmmmm!
WiseDuck's Avatar
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,353 Posts
TC = Timecop. I've already emailed him about this board. I want one too!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:14 PM
Registered User
Freakazoid's Avatar
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Oh djeez, Timecop! Now it clicks, ok, thanks!

Didn't his boards need some weird converted firmware business though?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 03:29 PM
g0t rabb1t?
ABLomas's Avatar
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Didn't his boards need some weird converted firmware business though?
How about reading a bit?
http://code.google.com/p/afrodevices/wiki/AfroFlight32
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1595761
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:05 PM
Registered User
Freakazoid's Avatar
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Hmmm, looks like it runs on some kind of converted naze firmware?
Ill have to take a closer look, but im worried it might not be as easy to configure as im used to.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:06 PM
g0t rabb1t?
ABLomas's Avatar
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Hmmm, looks like it runs on some kind of converted naze firmware?
???
It's MultiWii....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Ill have to take a closer look, but im worried it might not be as easy to configure as im used to.
For me it's much easier to use than multiwii - no need to compile, no need to use some stupid IDE - just upload hex file, set gains in multiwii gui (or cli) and fly.
But... Nvm.
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:35 PM
Registered User
Freakazoid's Avatar
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
But in the first post it says "MultiWii-dev port to STM32 ("baseflight" in SVN)".
Isn't that some kind of conversion/recompile of the origional multiwii code?

But it can be accessed as a regular multiwii then?
Can I stick my bluetooth receiver on it and fiddle with it on my tablet like I do with my regular multiwii fleet?
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 04:36 PM
g0t rabb1t?
ABLomas's Avatar
Lietuva, Vilnius
Joined Jul 2011
1,652 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
But in the first post it says "MultiWii-dev port to STM32 ("baseflight" in SVN)".
Isn't that some kind of conversion/recompile of the origional multiwii code?
Yes, it is.
But no relations to naza, as you told before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freakazoid View Post
Can I stick my bluetooth receiver on it and fiddle with it on my tablet like I do with my regular multiwii fleet?
Yes you can. RTM.
ABLomas is online now Find More Posts by ABLomas
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 06:45 PM
Registered User
Freakazoid's Avatar
Roosendaal, Netherlands
Joined Dec 2004
2,820 Posts
Well if it operates like a multiwii and configures like a multiwii.. good enough for me.
Ill send timecop a message, see if I can get one that's already programmed so all I need to do is some configuring.
Freakazoid is offline Find More Posts by Freakazoid
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Need help with getting the smallest and lightweightest possible setup for an orni Legendary_Agent Ornithopters 17 Apr 26, 2012 09:37 PM
New Product The ROME Board or Smallest Simple Brushed/Brushless Motors Controller 26*27mm Doblao Multirotor Talk 36 Apr 02, 2012 09:23 AM
Smallest Flying Wing Possible snowball1288 Foamies (Kits) 7 Dec 28, 2004 07:39 AM