SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:17 PM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
3,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DismayingObservation View Post
I apologize as well for jumping to conclusions and I'm glad this worked out.
Glad you guys made nice, but the fact remains that the negative production will receive a lot more views than this relatively small thread. The video has already gotten close to 7,500 views, and I don't think it's helpful for Jon's enterprising new company. However, I also firmly believe that the Microaces venture will succeed despite the video!

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneKap
We are no strangers to harsh reviews and comments. Many people hate us ... I am a little surprised by comments that tear down the whole show while admitting they only watched a portion of one episode.
That seems contradictory (admitting there are established skeptics and haters but being surprised by new negative comments). I did watch the entire episode, and as usual, was shaking my head at the antics surrounding Josh Bixler (who, in my opinion is a great reviewer). Your professional production, Stonekap, is great, but the presentation is not to my taste, being over twenty something.

Gene K
speedy01 is online now Find More Posts by speedy01
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:08 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,606 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vyceroy View Post
StoneKap having him review multirotor craft would be a good idea but having him review the fixed wing craft was not a good idea .. i watched the whole review and was shaking my head through most .. my wife watched as i did and she could not believe what she was seeing either .. that was the first time i had watched it and will probably will be my last .. dont take this too hard it's coming from a crotchity old fart that is set in his ways .. (You kids get off my lawn!!!)
Needs to learn to fly an airplane and when to shut his mouth.

A real world example of "It is better to remain silent..."
Tim Wolff is online now Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 03, 2013, 09:40 PM
Lou
Well, that should buff out.
United States, VA, Waynesboro
Joined Dec 2005
5,762 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonekap View Post
I apologize for being defensive on my earlier post. I'm just really proud of my team and have been thoroughly humbled and impressed by their flying skills. Bixler and David both have their own styles of flying and they are very different. That's why we decided to bring David in full time to help diversify the opinions presented by our team.

David may not be the best micro-scale pilot, but his multirotor / FPV skills are top-notch...
IMHO .. this is not the place for you to put this ^^^ vid or beat your drum or the drums of your reviewers. The above vid in no way changes the fact that the MicroAces review is extemely poor in substance.

As to the review, I watched the entire vid, what a horrible mess it is and quite frankly you should be ashamed. The final straw for me was watching one of the reviewers have a massive fail hand launching a micro plane. That says it all right there. If they can not successfully hand launch a micro then they should not do a review on a micro plane.

Show some dignity and pull the review vid for MicroAces as the review is unfair to MA and does not make your organisation look very professional at all.

IMHO
Lou is offline Find More Posts by Lou
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2013, 12:46 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
These kits are very cool and unique-I will definitely be ordering one or two and have no worries that they will fly well. I am excited to see the spitfire-of course we need a hurricane too!

I have watched a lot of the flight test videos. The criticism with this one is that it started out as a legitimate review with the usual straight man/funny man bit (you don't get that in many reviews and it's all good). Then it meandered into something about a baby faced scandavian guy who can't really fly fixed wing let alone micros and hilarity ensues with the final act of a buzz cut (his head wasn't even shaved). Almost as if the premise of this video started out as "hey guys how can we make an episode where new guy gets his head shaved."

I like these guys and the videos are good quality and a lot more fun than most of what is put out. The
problem here is that they hurt a new and what looks like good product just to get some laughs so the
review to me is unfair. Tip stally, heavy? Come on if you go there give more information than that. Since they have a presence in this thread I would only ask one question:

If this was a hobby king product can you honestly say you would have reviewed it in the exact same manner?

OK one more question: was the elevator reversed on the hand launch into the ground? I've done it-it's ok...but if so it's not ok to put it in the video without explanation.

I think you may need to addend your video.

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Last edited by echoplanar; Jan 04, 2013 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old Jan 04, 2013, 03:15 PM
Have fun
Joined May 2007
6,236 Posts
I thought the video was fine, it was just the Scandinavian who was one sided towards the product the entire time. It's fine to poke fun at something and maybe twist what really happened, that's call journalism, but to endorse a one sided review is very unjournalistic.
While I don't have much respect for flite test, they seem to not overly portray things as negative and are pretty light hearted about everything. It's was just the Scandinavian.
airpower is online now Find More Posts by airpower
Old Jan 05, 2013, 06:28 PM
Joined Feb 2009
11 Posts
As for the reviews, not a yank and bank aircraft. Also, since the final product performance is directly impacted by the builder, that rather speaks for itself. I imagine that a substantial number of reviews could be produced by those who can build these kits, and fly them correctly will come forward, but as is true in any scale, a warlord requires care and att
jharding58 is offline Find More Posts by jharding58
Old Jan 07, 2013, 10:53 AM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
We put together a mildly amusing response video to the FliteTest review. I'm hoping they'll let it sit beside their program on Youtube as an 'official' response to the review. I've submitted it so just needs stonekap to approve its submission, if Youtube is working like it should.

Microaces response to FliteTest Review 2013 (11 min 51 sec)
deadbird is online now Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 07, 2013, 11:13 AM
G G Ghost Pirates !!!
USA, NC, Gastonia
Joined Dec 2001
8,825 Posts
Absolutely fantastic
Vyceroy is offline Find More Posts by Vyceroy
Old Jan 07, 2013, 12:39 PM
Lafayette, CA
Joined Aug 2002
2,836 Posts
Nice-worth the wait for the punchline...

sorry, what were you saying though about flying? Something about a flat turn and a two hour drive..I was just staring at that spitfire

Jon
echoplanar is offline Find More Posts by echoplanar
Old Jan 07, 2013, 01:10 PM
Transmogrified.
Southern California
Joined Feb 2006
2,952 Posts
Brilliant! I almost shot coffee out of my nose when I saw your "prototype."

Great comeback!
DismayingObservation is offline Find More Posts by DismayingObservation
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Call it a "review preview."
Old Jan 07, 2013, 04:26 PM
Kev Waite
Plymouth UK
Joined Nov 2005
361 Posts
Well done Jon
rcpaintfx is offline Find More Posts by rcpaintfx
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:40 PM
Joined Dec 2012
20 Posts
I'll second the brilliant! and incredibly well balanced given the damage the original video might do.
coolstar is offline Find More Posts by coolstar
Old Jan 07, 2013, 05:49 PM
Micro Flyer
United Kingdom, Marham Airfield
Joined Jun 2005
784 Posts
how much are the quad kits going to cost?! :P
nice video too!
lord chris is offline Find More Posts by lord chris
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:02 PM
Microaces Wingman
UK. Dorset
Joined Jun 2009
375 Posts
Trouble with the Microaces WulfStang Windestaller Quad Copter (WWQC to save on ink when printed) is it needs 4 receivers & and 4 transmitters plus 4 people with their brains wired together to fly. I think it might have to go thru the 'proof of concept' phase before I could ever put a price on it.
deadbird is online now Find More Posts by deadbird
Old Jan 07, 2013, 06:05 PM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,874 Posts
I was puzzled as to how you are going to swap the single motor around quickly enough between the 4 airframes to keep it flying level?

Or have i misunderstood the advantage of the quick swap feature?

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbird View Post
Trouble with the Microaces WulfStang Windestaller Quad Copter (WWQC to save on ink when printed) is it needs 4 receivers & and 4 transmitters plus 4 people with their brains wired together to fly. I think it might have to go thru the 'proof of concept' phase before I could ever put a price on it.
jj604 is offline Find More Posts by jj604