HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 02, 2011, 01:39 AM
Lori, hey, you're home early
United States, NJ, Trenton
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Build Log
DPC Fokker Dr1 BALSA!

Can't remember the last plane I built, that's built not assembled, it was so long ago. Took me a little bit of time staring at the plans before I got started but just like riding a bike it all came back to me.

A little about the kit. It's a full kit, not a short kit, so all of the required wood and then some is included and it's all good quality. It's a mix of 1/32", 1/16" and 1/8" and all laser cut with each part held to the carrier sheet by two 1mm tabs. Very easy to remove and the fit of the parts was very good. This is my first laser cut kit and I'm hooked. I was raised on die crushed Guillow's and Comet kits so this laser cutting is a revelation. Between laser cutting and CA glue that actually works I'm in a very happy place.

I spent an afternoon intermittently building the fuselage while working on projects in the house. If I total up the build time for the fuse it adds up to maybe an hour. I built the fuse per the plan but added the cross braces because this is going to be a flying model and if it flies well I'll be handling it a lot. She's meant to fly not sit on a shelf!

Here are some pics of the fuselage:

I built the wings this past evening. First pic is the fuse with the lower wings to test alignment. I built the lower wings first as as warm up. Very simple. Took about 15 minutes each.

The next set of photos show the two extra ribs that I cut from scrap and placed at the inboard end of the ailerons and the ailerons cut free. Note the subspar glued in place on the aft end of the cut ribs. The middle and upper wings each took about 30 to 40 minutes.

The rest of the photos show the Dr1 in the obligatory dry fit.

The main parts dispalyed:

Maybe I'll have a little time to work on her tomorrow. Have to make the elevator and laminate the rudder.

Mike

I've also posted this in the Micro section. I'll continue it in the section that shows the most interest.
CarreraGTSCS is offline Find More Posts by CarreraGTSCS
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by CarreraGTSCS; Dec 02, 2011 at 10:02 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 10, 2011, 06:10 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
966 Posts
I'm in.

Subscribed. I have a DPC Bristol M1c waiting for me to get savvy enough to convert it to electric r/c. Actually built the fuze as a rubber bander a couple of years ago, then got bit by the rc bug.

Hoping to pick up some usable tips from your DR1 build. Carry on, my good man.
Mazzepa1 is offline Find More Posts by Mazzepa1
Old Dec 26, 2011, 01:45 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
I was very close to ordering the M1c from Dave one day last week but I ordered the Rake/Manzano M1c (47" span). I still might order it but I'm leaning more towards the larger Pfalz D XII.

Post some pics here of your Bristol.
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Split elevator set up JR 9303
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:04 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
966 Posts
M1c pics

Per your request. As stated earlier, fuze is all I've worked on so far. Started as a rubber bander, waiting for my skills to progress some as well as getting the electronics setup clear in my mind before progressing down the rc path with this really great looking airplane.

Documentation is extensive, generally well done. Also has a cd w/build along pics. Cutting is good, parts fit was very good for the fuze. Wood is light, therefore soft. Kit is complete all the way to a balsa dummy engine (which in my dreams will rotate w/the prop). Spinner is plastic.

The only beef I have is the markings, which are printed on paper. I'll be tracking down some water slides or printed on tissue markings.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
She's beautiful looking. Very nicely done. What are you planning for her RC gear? There are a few more options these days so we're not just limited PZ UM gear.

Mike
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 11:53 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
966 Posts
Dunno yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
She's beautiful looking. Very nicely done. What are you planning for her RC gear? There are a few more options these days so we're not just limited PZ UM gear.

Mike
Have yet to get the rc gear plan finalized. That is the next step. I'll want to have the parts in hand before I start carving on the fuze to fit it all in. I'm expecting the completed airframe to be about 35 grams with approx. 82.25sq.in. of wing area. WS is 24". Looks like a prop in the 4.5" - 5" range for it. Initial rc gear list:
Custom CD Baby Bullet cool wind 10.7g
GWS Pico Servo 2ea 12.4g
T-Bird 6A ESC 4g
Spektrum 6100 rec 3.5g
TP 2S 250mah batt 17g
Misc 10g

I have one build about 1/2 done and another in the queue before I restart on the Bristol. Still studying and pondering on the M1c.

I did just order a set of Guillow's Camel decals to see if they'll work for my M1c. At this point "reasonably scale" is ok w/me. I think the M1c is so darn pretty it'd be hard to make it look bad. I'm focusing primarily on building one that will fly well.
Last edited by Mazzepa1; Jan 04, 2012 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Correct typo.
Old Jan 04, 2012, 04:33 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Sounds good. I'm thinking of trying some of the new HK super micro gear in the Dr1. A friend is using the HK bits and they work great and are quiet to boot. I might order some of the parts tonight. If I do I'll post a list of what I order.

When I get a few other builds done and out of the way I'm going to order the 18" span Pfalz D XII from DPC but again I'm draw to the M1c. Has a very 1930's Golden Age look to it.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 04, 2012, 07:52 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
966 Posts
Hk

I have some of the HK orange DSM2 receivers for trial. Their prices are so dang low, I'm drawn as well.

I'll be watching for the results of your experience with the HK stuff.

Yeah, the M1c's big 'ol spinner, unique wing shape and nicely rounded fuselage do have the Golden Age look, before the Golden Age.

Speaking of the fuze, I'm not much at covering yet, but if I can make a decent job of this plane....... I might consider myself a hand. I'll also be learning to do laminate wing tips. She's (yes, airplanes are girls to me) got a lot to teach me.

Just took a quick look at the Pfalz. A rounded fuze and it looks like the lower wing is faired to the fuze. That would be very instructional build as well.
Last edited by Mazzepa1; Jan 04, 2012 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Add a comment.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:33 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Mazz-- I'll try to post a link to the HK stuff I'm going to use.

Did a little more work on the lil' Fokker.

For laminating the rudder

My balsa soaker

Drying in place

The tail pieces

Still needs sanding

Tissue on the lower wings

RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 08, 2012, 12:18 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
966 Posts
Pelligrino for softening balsa, now that's new one. Appears to have worked just fine, though. What kind of glue did you use?
Wait a minute, what's the liquid in the bottle?

I see the rubber band dowel mounts place. I was planning to cut them out of my M1c to reduce tail weight, but yours appear to be more needful as vertical support structure for the longerons. It does seem as though you may be able to cut them down some, though. What's you're thinking here? That leaving them as is becomes needful on removal (good move) of the angled support sticks? Looks like you might be able to get away with cutting them down to the same size as the horizontal members of the "box" they complete. Weight savings here would be even more significant on the DR1 than for the M1c as we're looking further aft.

I'm thinking of lightening the tail structure any way I can on the M1c, it just looks like there's more than necessary back there for an rc version. Correct balance w/out adding weight to the short nose of these planes would seem to be a significant concern to me. That being said, I'm not going so far as to remove stringers which would compromise that nice rounded shape I like so well.

I like the looks of the lower wings. Is the spar a hardwood dowel? 2 points of connection on different planes to the fuselage should be effective, and helpful in getting correct alignment to the fuze.
Old Jan 08, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
I thought that the Pellegrino bottle would het noticed. I was looking for something to lay the strips in when the Pellegrino bottle caught my eye. It looked tall enough to fit the full length strip wood so I chugged down the rest of it and filled it with hot water, dropped in the sticks and closed the cap. Thirty minutes later the balsa was as soft as overcooked pasta. I used the tan colored carpenters glue applied with a small paint brush.

I will Dremel out most of the peg mount stick. The spar is 1/16" hard balsa. It does look round but it's square.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 02:15 AM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
Some pics:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 09, 2012, 03:39 PM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
966 Posts
Coming right along and looking good. Are these "photo-op" pics of sub assemblies fitted, but not glued yet?

Cool saw horse propping up the tail.

For fitting of electronics.

Tell us about how easy/difficult it was it or is going to be to get correct fuze to wings alignment.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
Joined Jan 2004
9,130 Posts
New pics of the slow progress.

RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:23 AM
This is kid stuff.
USA, AR, Harrison
Joined Aug 2010
966 Posts
That cowl looks really good. I'd give a nickel to know how you got those holes radiused so nicely.

Me likee the motor mount - simple, light, effective. I look forward to seeing the cowl/motor assembly attachment method you use.
Last edited by Mazzepa1; Feb 04, 2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Correct typo.