SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:29 PM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlilfan View Post
Bad news for me. I attempted to maiden this spring with someone assisting me in handlaunch and the plane just nosed dived right out of the guys hands into the ground. Nose got busted up and broke the plywood wing mount. Got it all back together and decided it would be best to maiden at a lake since I would have a super long runway to work with.

Went to remaiden this weekend. Saturday night was dead calm, all the boats had cleared off the lake, and the water was glassy smooth. Did some taxi tests and the props kept catching water and gurgling. I had seen this before though in youtube videos of the plane and it seems like the plane will end up powering thru it. Decided to fly it. Started the takeoff run, props were gurgling here and there, started to power out of it and get on step. Plane started to look light and take flight. Then all of a sudden as it was starting lift, it just dug into the water nose first, and then flipped over onto it's back!

I just stood there stunned for a minute! I couldn't decide to swim out and get it or run up and grab my kayak (which was stored away behind a shed). Decided to kayak and it took several minutes getting out out and carrying it down the steep shore. By the time I got out there, water was seeping in and it was starting to sink! It was sitting pretty low in the water. The motors were beeping and twitching. I unplugged the battery and got it to shore.

I let everything dry and decided to power up the plane and see what the damage was. Servos all seemed to work fine but the motors were twitching and the right ESC started smoking within 30 seconds. Unplugged everything quickly and luckily no fire. Battery was a turnigy 2200mah and it seems to be fine.

I guess the motors and esc are toast. I will see about getting new ones eventually. Really bummed at what happened. I'm still not really sure what had caused it? Im thinking maybe cg was too far forward although I balanced it at the recommended spot. I installed extra velcro and the battery couldn't really move? I had added up elevator to keep the nose up on takeoff. I am running 3 blade props and my other possible explanation is that I was rolling on the power smoothly and by the time I got to full power, due to the high placement of the props/motors, the change in torque, p-factor, and power, added to the nose in, downward motion. Maybe I need more throw on the elevator?

I had plenty of power. Using the rc-timer 1400kv motors 2212-10's. Using 8x4 3 blade GWS props. Full throttle and the plane will pull out of my hands. Running counter rotating. Detrum 30amp ESCs. 9g HXT900 servos all around (the water proof claim seems to be holding up well). 11.1v 2200MAH battery.
Your motors should be fine. I have dunked mine many times w/ no problems. After dunking your electronics you should let them dry for days though, or, even better, force dry them with a heater fan on low power before trying to connect the battery again.. BTW - Did you apply Corrision X on your ESC's? That may have saved them if you had!

I use those same motors in mine although I run 3-blade 7X4 props. The 8" props on that motor I think may be drawing more current than should be. The side benefit is with a 7" prop, they will be less likely to hit the water. I also noticed with this plane it needs a fair amount of up elevator and from 80 to 100% throttle to ROW quickly and cleanly. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the next flight!
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 04, 2012, 01:46 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2010
829 Posts
I will order some 7x4s. I ordered some HK 20amp esc's just a bit ago. I know the right side esc is toast. Smells like fireworks. Both esc's and motors were submerged for 10+minutes. I placed the ESC's in the nacelles behind the motor for cooling thru the nacelle.
jdlilfan is offline Find More Posts by jdlilfan
Old Jun 05, 2012, 01:59 AM
Bob S.
France, Auvergne, Luneau
Joined Aug 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlilfan View Post
I will order some 7x4s. I ordered some HK 20amp esc's just a bit ago. I know the right side esc is toast. Smells like fireworks. Both esc's and motors were submerged for 10+minutes. I placed the ESC's in the nacelles behind the motor for cooling thru the nacelle.
Sorry about the crash. Please tell me where you order the 3-blade 7x4's.
Bo43 is offline Find More Posts by Bo43
Old Jun 05, 2012, 06:27 AM
I'd rather be flying
United States, NY, Saratoga Springs
Joined Jan 2009
1,314 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43 View Post
Sorry about the crash. Please tell me where you order the 3-blade 7x4's.
HobbyKing

2 links listed for counter-rotating props.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=8092

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=9670
baddb1 is online now Find More Posts by baddb1
Old Jun 05, 2012, 07:30 AM
Joined Sep 2008
705 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by baddb1 View Post
Your motors should be fine. I have dunked mine many times w/ no problems. After dunking your electronics you should let them dry for days though, or, even better, force dry them with a heater fan on low power before trying to connect the battery again.. BTW - Did you apply Corrision X on your ESC's? That may have saved them if you had!

I use those same motors in mine although I run 3-blade 7X4 props. The 8" props on that motor I think may be drawing more current than should be. The side benefit is with a 7" prop, they will be less likely to hit the water. I also noticed with this plane it needs a fair amount of up elevator and from 80 to 100% throttle to ROW quickly and cleanly. Just my 2 cents. Good luck on the next flight!
If you look book in this thread, you can find my notes on how to waterproof the ESCs, receiver and Servos. The motors are impervious to fresh water, so they won't be a problem at all.

I've drowned many a plane and flown it moments later.

Sorry about your crash.

Since you had 2 episodes with the same problem (diving down), you might want to look at your elevator. The CL415 will climb right off the water with just about no human input.

Mike
va3mw is offline Find More Posts by va3mw
Old Jun 06, 2012, 06:41 PM
Parkcityflier
Park City, UT, USA
Joined Aug 2001
1,735 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo43 View Post
Thanks, I'll see if I can get them; none in stock recenytly.
I'm also looking for an authentic prop for the CL-415, that's to say a 4-blade prop. I tried the 6x3 from Graupner, but it's a bit too weak. Anyone have any ideas from anyone where to purchase a not too expensive 4-blader?
The APC 9" four bladed props look very nice. I was able to adapt the kit provided spinners to the props by cutting two more openings in them. Painted black, the props look very scale. However, the plane flys so well with the stock two bladed props that I never got around to installing them. I've got over 50 flights on my CL-415 and I'm ready to try something different so maybe I'll try them out one of these days.
parkcityskier is online now Find More Posts by parkcityskier
Old Jun 07, 2012, 09:02 AM
Joined Aug 2004
367 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkcityskier View Post
The APC 9" four bladed props look very nice. I was able to adapt the kit provided spinners to the props by cutting two more openings in them. Painted black, the props look very scale. However, the plane flys so well with the stock two bladed props that I never got around to installing them. I've got over 50 flights on my CL-415 and I'm ready to try something different so maybe I'll try them out one of these days.
If someone was building a Vickers Viscount or Fokker F-27 those props would be perfect!

Russ Farris
pookielips1954 is offline Find More Posts by pookielips1954
Old Jun 14, 2012, 08:19 AM
Has Sloped Off
Uk South Wales
Joined Aug 2009
2,322 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookielips1954 View Post
If someone was building a Vickers Viscount or Fokker F-27 those props would be perfect!

Russ Farris
I got a part built F-27 in my attic, but its 120" span so may be a bit big...........lol

Dave
dav3uk is offline Find More Posts by dav3uk
Old Jun 18, 2012, 03:39 PM
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jan 2012
127 Posts
Kmp version

So I just bought the KMP version of the CL-415 and it came with motors pre-installed. The box says they're "2410" but don't list any kv rating and I can't read anything off he motor in the cowl. Does anyone know the specs on these motors? I'm going to start with the stock props (8038 counter-rotating) but I'd like to move into a 3 blade soon.

Thanks!
AirbusDriver is offline Find More Posts by AirbusDriver
Old Jul 22, 2012, 07:36 AM
Fly Micro Scale to Full Scale
United States, VA, Brandy Station
Joined Nov 2011
204 Posts
Joining the Thread & Building R/W CL-415

Morning Guys.... I ordered the RED/WHITE CL-415 from HK and have received the notice that it has been picked & are on the truck headed for the HobbyKing Front-End Warehouse.

So the wait begins. I really don't expect it to arrive for another two weeks .... but with one exception (which was my fault - I chose the wrong shipping option), I have always gotten stuff from HK quickly and it has always arrived in great shape.

I also ordered
- 6 HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servos
- 2 Hobbyking SS Series 25-30A ESCs
- 2 Turnigy L2210C-1200 Brushless Motors (150w)
- 2 GWS HD8040 3 Blade Props sets, both clockwise and counterclockwise.

I am placing another order today for
- 2 DX8 batteries
- 2 D2822/14 Brushless Outrunner 1450kv motors
. . . . . Insurance in case the L2210s don't work out.
- 2 OrangeRx R710 Spektrum DSM2 Compatible 7Ch Rxs w/Failsafe

I am going to add lights to mine for dusk flying

Questions:
- Has anyone put wheels / retracts on one of these?
- Is anyone actively flying FPV with this airplane?

Jim
fun2av8rc is offline Find More Posts by fun2av8rc
Old Jul 22, 2012, 08:54 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fun2av8rc View Post
Morning Guys.... I ordered the RED/WHITE CL-415 from HK - Is anyone actively flying FPV with this airplane? Jim
i do fly it FPV really fun ! take off & landing splash lots of water all over this plane so make shure the camera is in a water tight environement...

orange RX+satellite are really good choice, specialy the 7ch wich you can place the
wire antenna for good diversity...

aileron are not much effective, make shure to get BIG 45deg throw up & down...

CL 415 FPV flight :
CL 415 au lac Brompton (5 min 43 sec)

i also own a FPV POLARIS XL :
FUN (3 min 48 sec)
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:08 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
I also ordered
- 6 HXT900 9g / 1.6kg / .12sec Micro Servos

Mmmmmmmmmm.Don't like those little buggers.
I used to order them all the time, but about a year ago found that one after the other had problems.
I go for Corona 939s now. Only $4 with metal gears.

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 22, 2012, 11:14 PM
Per Ardua Ad Astra
Australia, VIC, Rosebud
Joined Feb 2007
2,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggtronic View Post
i do fly it FPV really fun ! take off & landing splash lots of water all over this plane so make shure the camera is in a water tight environement...

orange RX+satellite are really good choice, specialy the 7ch wich you can place the
wire antenna for good diversity...

aileron are not much effective, make shure to get BIG 45deg throw up & down...

CL 415 FPV flight :
http://vimeo.com/35098265

i also own a FPV POLARIS XL :
http://vimeo.com/45642929
Hey gg - like the idea of lights for dusk flying!
Reckon that would look fab with a sunset backdrop.
I live on a beach (can't afford a house ) and if we ever DO get our sun back again from you guys then I'll enjoy giving the beach walkers a display on some of those warm evenings.

That guy on the nose of the CL-415 - he's not fishing is he? Can't be - he's wearing headphones.
OK I give up what IS he doing?

Re the cam location. Why not Corrosion X the inside of it? It works!

Kev
Berkie is offline Find More Posts by Berkie
Old Jul 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
Darwin Australia
Joined May 2002
6,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
That guy on the nose of the CL-415 - he's not fishing is he? Can't be - he's wearing headphones.
OK I give up what IS he doing?
Kev
Most probably connecting or disconnecting a line from the seaplane to a mooring buoy.

Ken
kensp is offline Find More Posts by kensp
Old Jul 23, 2012, 08:45 AM
AP-stick
Montreal
Joined Nov 2005
1,627 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berkie View Post
That guy on the nose of the CL-415 - he's not fishing is he? Can't be - he's wearing headphones. OK I give up what IS he doing?
Re the cam location. Why not Corrosion X the inside of it? It works!
Kev
yes i might try that cX some day...

Kensp... yap i think that what he's doing

Berkie... fully agree... i use HITEC hs55 with plane i want to "survive"
ggtronic is offline Find More Posts by ggtronic