HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:53 PM
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Nov 2007
128 Posts
Discussion
Simple, Bright Lights

I'm new to lighting up a plane, so maybe this is old news. But I found some awesomely bright LEDs that can be hooked directly to the flight battery. The white LEDs draw about 100 mA at 4V, the green draws about 60 mA. Only the red needs a series resistor (10 ohms), which I just soldered into the wire, and it draws about 100 mA. Hard to tell how very bright they are from the picture, but the H-stab is being lit from underneath.

Being able to connect directly to the balance port on the battery simplifies things a lot. I put each set (front white and green, rear white, and red) each on a different cell of the 3S flight battery. Of course, they don't flash.

Here's the links. I got the widest angle, highest brighness ones. And the company is rock solid. I've ordered many times from them for other purposes.

http://www.theledlight.com/5mmcoloredleds.html
http://www.theledlight.com/5mmwhleds.html
Neko is offline Find More Posts by Neko
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 26, 2013, 05:56 AM
Electric only
Graz - Austria
Joined Nov 2002
286 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neko View Post
I'm new to lighting up a plane, so maybe this is old news. But I found some awesomely bright LEDs that can be hooked directly to the flight battery. The white LEDs draw about 100 mA at 4V, the green draws about 60 mA. Only the red needs a series resistor (10 ohms), which I just soldered into the wire, and it draws about 100 mA.
From the datasheets these are standard diodes with 30mA Imax and 100mA if you pulse them with 1:10. So life expectancy should be rather low for your setup.

Direct connection is seldom a good idea.

RK
rkopka is online now Find More Posts by rkopka