HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 26, 2014, 07:12 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
827 Posts
Discussion
R2 Amigo 2M; Anyone Flown One?

Hi group!
This sailplane looks like a great floater!

http://www.r2hobbies.com/3ch-rc-ep-2...sailplane.html

Specs are sketchy, though; and R2 can't add any info that the manufacturer doesn't provide. I was able to get them do make some area measurements for the wing. From these, I calculate an area of ~576in2. At the advertised .53kg, this is 4.7oz/ft2! No indication of what airfoil it has, but from picture in instructions, it looks pretty thin.
Anybody own one?
Thanks!
Mike
ForeverFlying is offline Find More Posts by ForeverFlying
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:09 AM
Sydney
Joined Aug 2005
87 Posts
Hey Mike,
I ordered one yesterday. Will post once I receive it. Would be good to hear if anyone else has got one. I already have the R2 hobbies gliderman. ...quality is pretty good for the price.
Grant
RSeeG is offline Find More Posts by RSeeG
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:56 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,733 Posts
Well I'll be... it looks quite a bit like the Graupner Amigo 2, and the name's about the same too. If it flies as well and is as well made as the original design (which is half a century old), it's quite the deal.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Dec 04, 2014, 05:08 PM
Joined Sep 2002
1,091 Posts
The old Amigo 2:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4428
Pippin is offline Find More Posts by Pippin
Old Dec 04, 2014, 06:32 PM
Dennis Keith
Dana Point, CA
Joined Nov 2006
32 Posts
Thanks for the link Pippin. Been a long time since I saw a dethermalizer... The outer wing panels on the ARF seem longer, the vertical fin more streamlined, and the epoxy fuse certainly are a bit different. Has anyone scratch built the Amigo II for RC? Just thinking
DennisKeith is offline Find More Posts by DennisKeith
Old Dec 04, 2014, 07:57 PM
slope'n the Colombian Andes
Colombia, Antioquia, Girardota
Joined Mar 2001
4,733 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisKeith View Post
Has anyone scratch built the Amigo II for RC?
The Amigo II was designed for Graupner's then super-modern Variophon radio, never meant as a free-flight glider.

Dieter Mahlein, ShredAir
ShredAir is offline Find More Posts by ShredAir
Old Dec 04, 2014, 08:26 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
827 Posts
Thanks for the plan, Pippin!
I wonder what airfoil that is, and if the R2 model uses it?
I guess I will find out, as I pulled the trigger the other day.
I hope it is as light as they advertise; I was able to email the company, and they said the spec was without radio gear.
Best regards!
Mike
Old Dec 04, 2014, 09:50 PM
Charleston, SC
Joined Nov 2007
499 Posts
Airfoil looks kind of like an Eppler E193
AMBeck is offline Find More Posts by AMBeck
Old Dec 05, 2014, 09:21 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
827 Posts
The E193 is a great floater airfoil. I remember Daryl Perkins liked it. I had a NE sailplanes 2 meter with the E193, that flew like it had helium in it!
Old Dec 06, 2014, 12:13 AM
Dennis Keith
Dana Point, CA
Joined Nov 2006
32 Posts
The plan at the link http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4428 posted by Pippin is definitely called Amigo II, is by Graupner and is a free flight design. I agree that the Amigo II of the late 70's or early 80's was RC but this must have predated that. There isn't a title block for a data so I don't know how much earlier it was.
DennisKeith is offline Find More Posts by DennisKeith
Old Dec 09, 2014, 06:43 AM
Sydney
Joined Aug 2005
87 Posts
The glider arrived today. Seems to be well finished. Here are a few pics before I finish it off on the weekend. The underside of the airfoil seems flat so it may not be an E193. I plan to build it without ailerons and to just keep it as a RE glider like my Radian which I really enjoy flying. Will use it on a bungee for our club competition hoping of course that the wings are strong enough. Name: uploadfromtaptalk1418125347552.jpg
Views: 45
Size: 216.3 KB
Description:
Last edited by RSeeG; Dec 09, 2014 at 06:53 AM.
Old Dec 09, 2014, 08:57 PM
Christiansburg, VA
Joined Sep 2002
827 Posts
Nice pics RS!
No, unfortunately that's not an E193. In fact it is probably a 40 year old airfoil. It might be floaty, but will not penetrate. Looks like plenty of dihedral for R/E use, though. I might try reshaping the airfoil with my belt sander. I hope it does good for you. I wonder what it weighs?
Thanks!
Mike
Old Dec 10, 2014, 06:38 AM
Sydney
Joined Aug 2005
87 Posts
Weighs 550g excluding hardware
Old Jan 26, 2015, 02:45 PM
Sydney
Joined Aug 2005
87 Posts
Maidened it yesterday... used a bungee (measured at 10lb) into a 10knot breeze. Seemed to hold up just fine and after adjusting the hook a bit, managed to get 140m altitude on launch. I like the way it flies just with R & E. The only weakness is the friction fit rudder which I will probably glue in.
Old Feb 25, 2015, 06:49 AM
Sydney
Joined Aug 2005
87 Posts
Flew the Amigo in our club competition a few weekends ago. It was a humid hot windless day... Perfect conditions for this little floater. Seemed to handle the 10lb bungee launch well. Will be adding servos for the ailerons so I can use them as spoilers for spot landings.

I think there will be a few more Amigo's at the next club comp... Especially as the are on special at 50% discount.

http://www.wrcs.org.au/images/storie...b_8th_2015.pdf