Old Nov 10, 2014, 08:06 AM
Old Submariner
United States, WI, Milton
Joined Dec 2007
587 Posts
Build Log
Couldn't Resist-ANOTHER SLOWPOKE

Hi Guys:

Well it has been a few months since my last posted Build, and as those who may have followed by previous builds (thank you) you know I love Slowpokes. Built 5 or 6 Sport 40's and probably a equal number of the .10-.15 Smaller Slowpokes.

This one will be a little different, it will be a .10-.15 but with a few modifications. As on the previous I will add ailerons but will also modify the polyhedral wing.

The GP kit is no longer in production (should be) but I found one on E-Bay.

I won't go into all the details of the build, more of a overview.

So with all that being said I will post a few pics, some of previous Slowpokes for those who missed the previous builds and then on into my new little bird. This one will be powered by a Saito 30 and of course all Saito's are 4-strokes. The only 2-stroke engines I fly are a few 1/2-A's , .074, .10 and .15

I use either Century 21 Coverite or Solartex fabric on Sport 40's and Ultracote Film on the 10-15's but on the new build I may use Solartex. The fabrics are so great to work with and almost never need a re-shrink.

Thanks for looking,

Tom
teeceeveecee is offline Find More Posts by teeceeveecee
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Nov 11, 2014 at 07:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2014, 03:51 PM
United States, IL, Lemont
Joined Sep 2010
124 Posts
Hi Tom,

I perfectly understand. I'm sure there are many of us in this hobby who have a certain plane that we just can't get enough of. I myself LOVE the Ultra Sport, either the 60 or 40 size. Your Slow Pokes look very cool. Enjoy

Smooth Air & Strong Signal
Ron
RTLIKES RC is offline Find More Posts by RTLIKES RC
Old Nov 10, 2014, 05:04 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
587 Posts
You Betcha !

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTLIKES RC View Post
Hi Tom,

I perfectly understand. I'm sure there are many of us in this hobby who have a certain plane that we just can't get enough of. I myself LOVE the Ultra Sport, either the 60 or 40 size. Your Slow Pokes look very cool. Enjoy

Smooth Air & Strong Signal
Ron
Hi Ron:

You are so right, this air frame just grabs me. I can understand your love of the Ultra Sport it is way cool. I am really into the 20's and 30's look, "the Golden Age" because I saw so many of them first hand at little grass strips when I was a kid. If you look at some of my other builds you will see what I mean, in particular my Robinhood 80 which is a take off of the Curtiss Robin. I have a Robinhood 25 which will be my next build.

Happy skies,

Tom
Last edited by teeceeveecee; Nov 13, 2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2014, 02:02 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
587 Posts
Progress Update 11/11/14

`Hi Guys;

Just a little progress report. Finished the tailfeathers, added some extra beef for the Robart hinges.

Started the fuselage, they go pretty fast.

Been thinking about the covering and colors. If the airframe weight comes in on the lite side I will use fabric covering, Century 21 Coverite, or Solartex. If a little on the heavier side I will use Ultracote.

Colors have not settled in my mind yet. Open to suggestions.

Tom
Old Nov 20, 2014, 02:41 PM
nothing
Joined Jan 2011
925 Posts
Nice job so far looks great!!!
Kerwin49 is offline Find More Posts by Kerwin49
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:34 PM
United States, NY, Eldred
Joined Jun 2012
742 Posts
I'm subscribed. Wow! You got some great looking slow pokes. Not sure which is my favorite, but I really like the orange and white...with a radial no less.
kimchiyuk is offline Find More Posts by kimchiyuk
Old Nov 20, 2014, 06:45 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
587 Posts
I Have A Hard Time Too !

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimchiyuk View Post
I'm subscribed. Wow! You got some great looking slow pokes. Not sure which is my favorite, but I really like the orange and white...with a radial no less.
Hi kimchiyuk-

I have a hard time too, I love them all. I guess my sentimental favorite is the red and white Sport-40 since she has been with me almost from the start of my love affair. She was the first one I built.

The orange radial is a jewel when she drifts by about 20 feet out and 10 feet off the ground at half throttle.

Thanks for the comments and sub. I will post a progress report tomorrow. Camera batts were down when I started to take few pics.

Tom
Old Yesterday, 12:43 PM
Old Submariner
Joined Dec 2007
587 Posts
Pregress Report 11/21/14

Hi Guys-

Just a little progress to report. Got the fuselage framed up, ready to add the turtle back and nose top blocks. Put in a 4-oz tank, the little Saito .30's just sips fuel.

Total frame up and weigh-in a few days from now. I added some extra bracing and gussets but don't think I added too much weight to change anything.

Happy Turkey Day,

Tom