HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 22, 2014, 11:36 PM
A different attitude to RC
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
Just to clarify, a Pro Mini could also do POV, it is just how to get the data into the firmware. It would need to be hard coded. It's possible, but not as easy as having onboard memory and a way of communicating.

Also, to do light painting and creating patterns, a Pro Mini on its own will do that with the existing patterns in the existing code.
extremewing is offline Find More Posts by extremewing
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 12:54 PM
Joined Aug 2012
31 Posts
would you have or could you point me to an example of how to hard code a bitmap?

assuming i hook a BT module up to a mini pro...which android app would be used? is this something you've developed?
tfmccull is offline Find More Posts by tfmccull
Old Oct 23, 2014, 01:13 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
Yes, I developed the App and will share it.

It allows control over a lot of parameters, like pattern, mode, brightness, sleep, and more.

It will also format and send the pixels from a bitmap to the device. I could make it generate a bitmap matrix to hard code into the device. Let me think about that a bit...
Old Oct 27, 2014, 02:04 AM
United States, CA, San Gabriel
Joined Apr 2014
326 Posts
following
bergovoy is offline Find More Posts by bergovoy
Old Oct 31, 2014, 10:38 AM
United States, LA, Baton Rouge
Joined Aug 2014
225 Posts
Just a check in for apps and info
FunN4Lo is online now Find More Posts by FunN4Lo
Old Nov 03, 2014, 07:14 PM
still a 'lil green...
United States, WV, Parkersburg
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
Think I'm catching on how the LED's work.

basically the uC sends out 24bit packets for each "LED" and the LED's bucket brigade the data on down 'til it reaches the last LED.. with all the data sent for all LED's by the time the first data packet reaches the last LED,
then it ceases data for at least 50us so the data in the LED's will "latch" and thus display the color/brightness for each of the RGB led's.
So it seems there would be some hand coding put in prior to compiling the code, depending on how many LED's are on your strip/project.

This is the kind of usbasp I have to program an KK2.0 FC/avr. Shouldnt I be able to make some kind of hookup adapter to get the data across to a Mini Pro?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/High-Quality...item3cddd5477d

I'll gnaw on this info a bit more before I buy a LED strip. Looks like the best price I could find in ebay was about $15 shipped for a 60 LED 1M strip.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/281452702547...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I'm fine with simple patterns. I have no need for POV at this time with multirotors.
I'd really like to play around with the pulses coming from the Rx to indicate higher throttle, if it's a quad being moved fwd/back left/right.
A lot of possibilities.. just going to take me awhile to wrap my head around the coding enough to figure out new patterns to run on it.. let alone how to read the Rx's pulses and use the info to alter the patterns.

I noticed my mini pro is 16mhz.
Will the code/compiler make up for the faster speed automatically or do I need to locate the proper code for my Mini?

and finally.. can it be possible to use a BT module like this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Wireless-Ser...item5b074e1b31

to stream data to the mini Pro?
Synthetech is offline Find More Posts by Synthetech
Last edited by Synthetech; Nov 03, 2014 at 07:31 PM.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 10:07 AM
Joined Aug 2014
225 Posts
After scouring the web, there does not appear to be a premade LED kits for multirotors that do more than turn on or off. I am looking for addressable LEDs with controllable light patterns. If I can build a quad copter, I am sure I can connect lights, power, and controlling boards. My limitations will be programming a controlling board as I have never done that.

Two questions

Reading through this thread, it appears some programming is available in links at the beginning. It also appears some will be posted for android control. (I like that) For a newbee to these controllers, what should I get for easy programming and android control?

To power lights and controlling board only, would the Li-ion battery in the link below work? I use these every day in my high drain tactical lights. I have chargers to charge them separate from the model. They have similar voltage range to 1s lipos. They have protection built in with auto disconnect from the circuit, in case of short circuit, extreme temperature, abnormally high current. They also have and over-voltage, over-charge, and over discharge protection, all that I know works from daily use and abuse.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:07 AM
still a 'lil green...
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
you may want to visit this site for options and help in programming devices to control these

http://fastled.io/

Looks like some decent documentation describing how they work and on how to use them.

I'm looking into how to alter preset patterns using the PWM signals from the Rx.
Would be cool to have directional indication from A & E.
Throttle could change speed of patterns too.
Last edited by Synthetech; Nov 15, 2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old Nov 15, 2014, 11:59 AM
hopeless newbie
Joined Oct 2014
74 Posts
re: "other than blinking"

Using 5mm RGB LEDs with integrated WS2811, in combination with the code here: http://bleaklow.com/2012/12/02/drivi...16mhz_avr.html, I added simple support into MultiWii and have 4 individually addressable RGB LEDs attached to a 120mm (diagonal) micro quad frame that flies well using the atmega 328 based Micro MWC fc avail from HobbyKing. The FC has 2 outputs exposed beyond the 4 brushed motor outputs, making this pretty simple to wire up. I'm only using 1 of them.

Currently experimenting with what to do with the LEDs For now have just been playing with having them change based on pitch and roll of the quad. But there's many possibilities. To set 4 of these LEDs it takes 120 microseconds (.12 miliseconds) of having interrupts paused and monopolizing the FC. I don't really know enough yet to understand if this is supposed to be an issue, and my flying skills aren't great so far, but I haven't seen any ill effects in practice - the quad flies just fine.

There are a few pictures in the Dreamcatcher thread in mini-multirotator forum if you are interested. Anyway, it's definitely possible to do this on something that flies. Ideally, there would be a separate AVR controlling the LEDs that can take input with a less timing specific protocol and handle the LEDs without monopolizing the FC. This way many more LEDs could be handled - 4 is probably pushing it already with an atmega328 that is also controlling flight.

I'm powering the LEDs straight off the 1S lipo that drives the quad - so far this works OK, though there is the occasional flicker. A better power solution would be required for more LEDs.
offbyone is offline Find More Posts by offbyone
Old Nov 15, 2014, 12:34 PM
Joined Aug 2014
225 Posts
I just want to build a red rear, white front pattern for orientation and then a few "UFO" patterns to generate UFO reports in my hood.

Looking at all the code makes my head hurt. Maybe I would understand more if I actually bought a control board to try. Are there any boards with a graphical programming interface that is smart enough for a dumb "Windows click on the screen guy" to use?
Old Nov 15, 2014, 01:04 PM
still a 'lil green...
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
I was going to use an arduino Uno to mess around with first.

like this one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Low-Cost-UNO...item4d20ec2f95

then later perhaps load the code into a Mini Pro, like this..

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161094027756

I figured it would be best to buy a strip of lights like these with the waterproof covering

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161137599633
granted, $24 is a little high, but it comes from a USA seller and has the waterproof protection, which is handy to protect them from bumps and bruises (crashes and other mishaps)

eventually I'd imagine there'd be a bluetooth setup to use with a mobile device.
right now I think the tech of these addressable LED's is so new that there isnt much out there that is PnP ready, so it's pretty much build what you want/need from scratch.
and I have not seen anything PnP ready for multirotors yet, that's for sure!

Here is a slideshow on how to get patterns loaded in using FASTled

http://www.slideshare.net/atuline/pr...ble-led-strips

find example patterns here
https://github.com/atuline/FastLED-Demos
Last edited by Synthetech; Nov 15, 2014 at 02:31 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:00 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
Those boards you linked will both work.

Why not get the LED's from China (as per the link in the first posts)? You may need to order a bit more (4M), but you get them for less than $12 per meter.

The code in the first posts also contains a lot of patterns and is ready to go for whatever board you use.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 01:03 PM
Draper, Utah
Joined Sep 2008
2,735 Posts
PS, be aware that the FastLED library may or may not support 8Mhz processors?

The NeoPixel library I use in the provided code does.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 08:37 PM
still a 'lil green...
Joined Jul 2014
86 Posts
I finally got my ws2811 strip of LED's.
(its an earlier version of the ws2812b's)

Hooked it up to my Uno and got it going right away!

I got both NeoPixel and FastLED working with it, no problem!

Here's a vid of one of the first demo's I loaded up on the Uno...

WS2811 LED strip ran on Arduino Uno (1 min 30 sec)
Last edited by Synthetech; Nov 20, 2014 at 08:47 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 09:55 PM
Joined Aug 2014
225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthetech View Post
I finally got my ws2811 strip of LED's.
(its an earlier version of the ws2812b's)

Hooked it up to my Uno and got it going right away!

I got both NeoPixel and FastLED working with it, no problem!

Here's a vid of one of the first demo's I loaded up on the Uno...

http://youtu.be/SCafDBBMtFo
That looks great. I have Neopixel rings and a trinket with a battery adapter on the way. I can't wait