Old Feb 05, 2013, 12:13 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,142 Posts
Question
DS realism in RF 6/6.5

Hello, all.

I'm a 30-year power pilot who just started flying TD electrics last season. I was playing around with gliders in RF 6.5 the other day, and decided to try the DS Ridgeline site with default wind conditions. Wow! I managed to get the Shuriken Sloper w/heavy ballast up to about 200 MPH, but it would break when I went faster. So I tried the Mistral 3m w/heavy ballast. Much better! I had it up to 300+ MPH a few times - and I didn't even break it! I did get too low a few times & lost the energy to make it back up the ridge, but I eventually figured out how to gain enough energy to make it back up into stronger air. I found landings to be particularly challenging, although I was able to get the plane back down in one piece most of the time. That was absolutely the craziest & most intense RC sim experience I've ever had, and I loved it! I ended up spending a few hours flying the Mistral. I'd like to try it for real someday, but we're a bit shy on DS sites here in Minnesota.

I was surprised at how quickly I was able to DS successfully in the sim. I assume that it must be more difficult in real life. I searched the forum, but didn't find any info on this particular topic. Any experienced pilots on here try DS in RF 6 or 6.5? If so, how realistic do you think the DS site is with the default wind settings?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 10:12 PM
JWs are Shear Fun!
USA
Joined Sep 2008
2,694 Posts
Realflight's physics and DS Ridgeline are not even close to reality. However, you can use it as a tool to ingrain the correct stick movements to avoid hitting the hill. This will help you when you DS for real.

If you modify the properties of the Mistral 3M (infinite strength), you can break the sound barrier in the sim.
Aerogance is offline Find More Posts by Aerogance
Old Feb 06, 2013, 05:46 AM
DS will change your life
Danmark, Nordjylland, Sæby
Joined May 2010
1,661 Posts
Realflight G 5,5.
If you play with the size of the glider/ weight/ strenght of the glider/ windspeed then it can give you a pretty good DS training.

Real flight G5. How to DS your glider. DS ridge. (0 min 58 sec)

S
SpeedsterDEN is online now Find More Posts by SpeedsterDEN
Old Feb 06, 2013, 12:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,142 Posts
Aerogance,

We meet again! Nice to run into you again on the threads. Thanks for the info! That's pretty much what I had expected. The sim seemed much too easy. After posting the question, I ended up getting it into sort of a 'mode' in which the speed increased rapidly & the Mistral shed its tail feathers at approximately 400 MPH. Given that I am unlikely to get an opportunity to fly DS for real unless I move to a different part of the country, I'm primarily interested in finding new ways of improving my flying skills & keeping my reflexes sharp during the off-season. DSing in the sim seems to fit the bill. However, I'd still like the experience to be as realistic as possible - just in case I get the opportunity to try it someday.

SpeedsterDEN,

Thanks for the clip! What exactly did you change to make DSing more realistic in the sim?

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 06, 2013, 07:19 PM
Confirmed Chronic
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN View Post
Realflight G 5,5.
If you play with the size of the glider/ weight/ strenght of the glider/ windspeed then it can give you a pretty good DS training.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3h-tOec_7U

S
And here I thought I was the only one who saw giant arrows in the sky while flying!
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle