SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:34 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
... A smaller, smooth, composite airframe may push more towards 70%. ...
Yes I think the composite, sleek nature and the well designed relatively thin wing should make it go reasonably fast without a whole lot of power.
Herb is offline Find More Posts by Herb
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:40 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by chalmrast View Post
... Also attached is my buddy's ProEDF Mig 15 on 6S 90mm. It is very similar in size to this T-45. He was radared at 120MPH! ...
The MiG-15 is a fantastic EDF airframe (perhaps the absolute best?), it will go fast with very little power. The Hawk is close but perhaps not quite as efficient. But yes, the argument is certainly valid, a sleek low drag airframe will fly with a lot less power ( & therefore less weight & fewer burnt motors).
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:41 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Well the motor/fan combo on my L-39 can be purchased assembled & balanced for $70.00 plus shipping. Makes short work on your build!!!
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:42 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
The MiG-15 is a fantastic EDF airframe (perhaps the absolute best?), it will go fast with very little power. The Hawk is close but perhaps not quite as efficient. But yes, the argument is certainly valid, a sleek low drag airframe will fly with a lot less power ( & therefore less weight & fewer burnt motors).
And that very same Mig flies great on 5S too!!!
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:47 PM
Lithium Member
Irvine, Calif USA
Joined Feb 1999
12,177 Posts
Well that seems like a good deal ... What motor ?

I will use a WeMoTec MidiFan that I already have ... I know it's a good fan that has served me well

Regarding the motors, I don't mind investing a bit more in a quality inrunner ... most motors & fans outlast the airframe ... I have e.g. three Hacker B50's that are more than 6 yrs old and have been through hell Two are in one of my Rafales. I have Megas that also outlasted every airframe ...

I found out today the Neu 1515/1.5 shorted out in my large MiG-21, and was the cause of my controller going up in flames ... I am NOT happy
Old Nov 17, 2010, 09:58 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
I need to stop buying motor and fans and just wait to see how you set yours up Herb...

Will we see maiden flight before end of the year?
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 17, 2010, 11:30 PM
usa
Joined Nov 2008
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I will glue the canopy to the canopy tub with silicone. Then put a wood dowel or wood tongue in the front, and a simple latch in the back.

I usually end up doing maiden flights with the canopy taped on with masking tape

Parkzone pilot before & after tamiya acrylic work

Nice
where you get the latch from?
ripping is offline Find More Posts by ripping
Old Nov 18, 2010, 01:31 PM
UAS Pilot/Tech Instructor
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2000
1,497 Posts
Well, The bits I've needed have started rolling in for my build. Here's a quick cell phone pic of my retracts (RC Lander from Sonic) and struts (Hobby City). They are just posed together here on my desk for the pic. Final fitting will happen when I get them in the plane.

Herb,
Have you done anything about the gear rail mounting and the balsa rib yet. Interested in seeing how you beefed that area up before I tackle it my self. Also, in a previous post you mentioned something about using JB weld on the gear rails??? Just wondering what you did there?

Thanks,
Mike
CryHavoc is online now Find More Posts by CryHavoc
Old Nov 18, 2010, 02:02 PM
Everett, WA
Joined Aug 2002
659 Posts
Just wanna say "Thank you!" for the build thread

Dave
eaticus is offline Find More Posts by eaticus
Old Nov 18, 2010, 06:44 PM
RO1
Joined Nov 2010
47 Posts
Gentlemen ,

Herb is right , the above video depicts my Schübeler Hawk . I had to close it again due to gema sensitiv music . However , if you should be interested I could open it for a day or two
I guess at the moment mine is probably the heaviest on the market and also one of the most scale one - having 4444 g being 158,7 ounces with 8 S 3700 and all the gadgets in it .
But it flies excellently and take off and landing is easy - even on our humpy Bavarian grass .

Since about 2 years I got the " T 45 - fever "

This CMP Hawk is also very tempting and exciting to watch this thread .
I look forward to your maiden !

I agree with you using 6 S giving you plenty of power and speed . The lighter the better the overall performance . A midi fan on 6 S with a motor at around 2040 to 2085 rpm will give you a static thrust - provided you have lipos that don`t go much below 3,6 V per cell under load - of around 2800g to 3000g ( built in the jet ) . Of course , you have to consider the peak amperage of 94 to 97 amps .
Neu Motors , ARC , Mega and also the new HET motors cope quite well with this performance .

Herb, do you think that the nice little aluminum struts you might be using can stand up to the weight of this Hawk - even the stronger springs being supplied might just weaken after a couple of uses .
I did try them in a L-39 with an AUW of 1,8 kg - being 64.28 ounces - and they just worked fine .

Here a few pics of two different T 45 s - have a guess

Regards

Rolf

SANY0005 (3).jpg

SANY0021.jpg

SANY0022.jpg

SANY0002 (6).jpg

SANY0004 (6).jpg
RO1 is offline Find More Posts by RO1
Last edited by RO1; Nov 21, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old Nov 18, 2010, 07:21 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
Rolf,

Thanks for sharing! The work on your T-45 is outstanding!

Chad
Old Nov 18, 2010, 08:38 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,582 Posts
Thanks for sharing Rolf! Beautiful T-45.
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Nov 18, 2010, 10:56 PM
1.21 Gigawatts!
Irvine, CA, USA
Joined Oct 2000
7,537 Posts
Rolf that is a beautiful plane, an inspiration for me to work on the CMP kit.

I'd love to see your video if you could open it up. Better yet, put it on vemeo to avoid all those silly music censorship.

Got a HET 700-2085kv motor coming which will run on 6S. Problem is, it doesn't fit in the wemotec fan I have. So I need to source one of those new HET 90mm fan.
Steph280 is offline Find More Posts by Steph280
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:00 AM
Chandler, AZ
Joined Nov 2008
544 Posts
That jet is just fantastic Rolf!
balistc1000 is offline Find More Posts by balistc1000
Old Nov 19, 2010, 12:02 AM
North Royalton, Ohio
Joined Jan 2002
397 Posts
I am thinking of using an RCLander 90mm aluminum fan on 6s. It looks like it puts out up to 3Kg thrust which is .5Kg more than the Changesun. It is more expensive though. Thoughts and recommendations? I fly from grass so I am looking for light weight with high thrust. I don't have a 90mm fan so I am open to suggestions.
jonnyspeed is offline Find More Posts by jonnyspeed