HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 20, 2010, 05:57 PM
Roger
Texas
Joined Sep 2010
15 Posts
Discussion
Interested in scratch building a FPV platform

I believe I want to do this with foam. I am too much of an newbie to think about anything but a very rugged design that will let me crash once and a while. I also want an airframe that would allow slow flight for taking video or pictures.

I have done some searches for the foams in the Easy Star and others, but I don't understand the manufacturing process or where they purchase it. I am assuming these parts (like what Multiplex does) are molded. Is it conceivable to make your own mold? Where can you buy the foam?

Are there other foams that would work? Foams that you can carve?

-I want a large enough plane to easily handle FPV video and a small digital camera for still shots.
-I want the cameras to have an uninterrupted view (no propeller or part of plane in the shot)

Thanks!
RogerGu is offline Find More Posts by RogerGu
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:49 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
I build my own, have for years, love it!
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070373
Page 2 has the updated versions.
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Sep 20, 2010, 08:55 PM
W4UAV
Gainesville, FL
Joined Nov 2005
1,043 Posts
Or you could go the Skywalker route, I have one and love it too!
RaptorAP is offline Find More Posts by RaptorAP
Old Sep 21, 2010, 07:20 AM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,534 Posts
I have scratchbuilt several FPV planes similar to Raptor's gray Ghost. My Scout and Wraith are dual boom pushers. Check my blog for ideas and how-to's. I even cut my own wings with nothing more than a car battery charger and a steel wire (for a mig welder). It's actually quite simple. Try it.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Sep 21, 2010, 09:06 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
If you don't like the hot wire cutting method I've made a few 3D foamy wings using a thin EPP foam spar, EPP ribs and an EPP skin wrapped around. Very light, crash resistant and stiff with a carbon rod spar taped on. I used 3mm EPP but you could beef it up to 5 or 6mm.
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:35 AM
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2007
856 Posts
Here is some photo of mine, its very stable and nice flyer, 35A full speed 75Km/h
cruse at 50Km/h with 9A.
I flew it up to 600m and 8Km far.
I do landing and take off on FPV, I had night flying experience tonight for the first time, it was fantastic, I have two 1W LED on the wing tips with two flashing light at nose and tail, red on nose, blue at tail. on landing those 1W lights will light up the run way very good, the camera turns to BW but has very good vision in dark. almost cant see with eye but it was quiet visible though the video goggles.
Now I'm using IBCrazy's Vee TX antenna on the plane.
Its just lots of fun.

And that is my Helmet modified Headpaly with my copilot on Fatshark
Talajouy is online now Find More Posts by Talajouy
Old Sep 21, 2010, 10:56 AM
Post # 20 million
Joined Aug 2009
2,636 Posts
I've said it before and i'll say it again, i really do like that plane, Talajouy.

Very nice.

Cheers, Kev.
Kev.au is offline Find More Posts by Kev.au
Old Sep 21, 2010, 08:20 PM
Roger
Texas
Joined Sep 2010
15 Posts
Wow, what materials did you build with, and where do you purchase them? Foam?

Where did you get the wing?

Thanks!
RogerGu is offline Find More Posts by RogerGu
Old Sep 22, 2010, 12:28 AM
Joined Aug 2007
231 Posts
I got my EPP from Bob at www.flyingfoam.com

Unfortunately he wont send OS anymore. It cost me a small fortune in postage to get it here but you could probably collect from him in Texas.

I use POR glue and 3M fibregalss tape (now "Extreme Tape) with success. There are other glues preferred by others. I'm discovering that the adhesive used by 3M on the tape is not UV resistant and doesn't like the heat long term. A UV resistant laminate covering would be the answer if you want it to survive longer than a year or so.
Roo2 is offline Find More Posts by Roo2
Old Sep 28, 2010, 03:10 PM
touching cloudbase not cloth!
UK
Joined Dec 2009
358 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roo2 View Post
If you don't like the hot wire cutting method I've made a few 3D foamy wings using a thin EPP foam spar, EPP ribs and an EPP skin wrapped around. Very light, crash resistant and stiff with a carbon rod spar taped on. I used 3mm EPP but you could beef it up to 5 or 6mm.
hi Roo2
that looks awesome!!!
how do you design the airfoil shape and size?
psychosaffa is offline Find More Posts by psychosaffa