SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 13, 2014, 05:56 PM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
Discussion
Finishing up servo controller and I need a small favor...

I'm here for not so long and one of the first things to post on this forum is: I would like to ask you for a small favor.

I'm close to finishing design of a controller box for analog RC servos which should be done in a few weeks and I was wondering if you guys and gals could answer a few questions and help me make it even better.

I've been working on this controller during August and am wraping up the design in a week or two so I can have prototypes shipped to me before Halloween.

It will be able to control 16 servos, will have power supply for servos, USB connection to PC with Java and C/C++ programming interface, UART connection for the same interface. There will be a simple software for Win/Mac/Linux that can be used to control servos and write and run control scripts in Lua.

Now, I need your help here. Before I wrap up everything and send it off for prototype manufacturing I want to make sure that I've covered as much as there can be. Basically I would like to maximize return for money paid for prototypes (it's never cheap

That's where you come in. Please take a few minutes and just let me know, out of top of your head:

A) What would you put in/on this servo controller based on your experience/desires:

B) As far as electronics go, what would be the number one thing (or two...) you would put on this servo controller board? (uSD card? 32 servo connectors? LCD? pot to control servo position? anything...)

C) As far as PC software goes, what would be that most important function (or functions to implement? (scripting? mouse control? saving settings? graphs? whatever...)

Of course, if there's anything else you would like to write about servo controller(s), please do )

Thanks!
nidalxbot is offline Find More Posts by nidalxbot
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:12 AM
Canada, MB, Winnipeg
Joined Sep 2014
2 Posts
I forgot to mention what is this for:

I'm building this animatronic dinosaur for Halloween using carbon fiber rods, balsa wood, foam, and RC servos, things you can find in my workshop laying all around. So, yes you are right, just it's not hexapod it's biped (kind of)

Idea is to connect it to PC in design phase and be able to control/move servos one by one or in a sequence (that's where script comes in) to check for soundness of mechanical design. Once I finish that I'll probably put RPi or BeagleBone into the dino and run animatino scripts from there using this servo controller. Script is run on PC (BB, RPi) and just sends commands to servo controller via USB. Command sequences can also be coded and saved in controller's memory to be executed on a push of a button. I'm basically helping myself building this dino more easily, see?
nidalxbot is offline Find More Posts by nidalxbot