HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:16 PM
Joined Feb 2014
13 Posts
Build Log
Laddie's Shearwater build

Hi all, longtime lurker first time poster! I've just received my Shearwater plans and parts and I'm excited to get going, I've just spent the evening writing up a shopping list for the strip/sheet, took a while to figure everything out, I have the rc model world writeup and there isn't much detail on the balsa wing build.

I'm pondering fitting retracts to make it a true amphibian, I'm planning on having the nose gear bay as small as possible and drive the retract/steering/door via rc boat bellows from the next bay. I'm contemplating not trying to achieve a seal on the gear door and just letting a bit of water in at least then it'll escape easily,

I'll try to keep this updated as things progress.

Day 1
Name: uploadfromtaptalk1394489746125.jpg
Views: 70
Size: 49.0 KB
Description:
marc2turbo is offline Find More Posts by marc2turbo
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 10, 2014, 05:27 PM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,263 Posts
I'm in this looks to be a very cool build very sleek looking plane.

Bruce
splinterz25 is offline Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined Feb 2013
261 Posts
One of the most beautiful airplanes I have ever seen. Please keep your build up-to-date, as I have great interest in it.
Lambro is offline Find More Posts by Lambro
Old Mar 16, 2014, 06:08 AM
Joined Feb 2014
13 Posts
I'm currently working on the nose gear retract system, I'm going to fabricate a system from carbon sheet for the runners, can alu for the linkages and an off the shelf oleo leg, because of lack of space it'll use the same up and in motion of the full scale, I'm still working on the door mech. I'll be using a linear actuator from firgelli to drive the slide mech, the logo model isn't literal just a proof of concept, the actual one will be wider to allow the actuator to be attached. Lego Nose Gear mech prototype:
Nose Gear mech prototype (0 min 12 sec)
Old Mar 16, 2014, 12:00 PM
Joined Feb 2013
261 Posts
I have been experimenting with the Firgelli actuator on another retract project, and so far I love them! A huge advantage is choice of gearings which also allows scale-like speeds, and especially the resistance switching which stops the motor if too much resistance is met, without damaging or overheating.

In my case, we are trying to make a functioning retractable nosegear for .40 size balsa floats, which would mostly mimick the out and down action of full-size retracts. No wheel wells and fully castoring nosewheels.

But, I digress, I am wanting to build a Shearwater, so will be riveted to your progress.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 02:53 AM
Joined Feb 2014
13 Posts
Hey Lambro, glad you've had good experience with the actuators, I'm going for the 50mm 1:100 for the nose and 2x 50mm 1:50 for the main gear. Progress is stalled at the moment waiting for the 3 actuators to arrive, the sliders and rails have arrived and the new nose cad for the door mech should be finished very soon. The steering servo is causing some headaches at the moment as I would prefer it not to be in the bay with the mechanical bits to keep it waterproof. I'll get some drawings up when I've got a workable prototype.
Old Mar 18, 2014, 08:55 AM
Joined Feb 2013
261 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc2turbo View Post
Hey Lambro, glad you've had good experience with the actuators, I'm going for the 50mm 1:100 for the nose and 2x 50mm 1:50 for the main gear. Progress is stalled at the moment waiting for the 3 actuators to arrive, the sliders and rails have arrived and the new nose cad for the door mech should be finished very soon. The steering servo is causing some headaches at the moment as I would prefer it not to be in the bay with the mechanical bits to keep it waterproof. I'll get some drawings up when I've got a workable prototype.
Hi Marc, what did you get for sliders and rails? Also, my prototype float nosegear uses the Firgelli L12 100mm 100:1. Cycle time is a majestic 9 seconds, very smooth all the way.
Old Apr 06, 2014, 03:36 PM
Joined Feb 2014
13 Posts
Finally got round to starting the build Name: uploadfromtaptalk1396816496595.jpg
Views: 39
Size: 75.0 KB
Description: going together nicely