HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 01, 2003, 12:29 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
United States, CA, Riverside
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
Why do you need insurance

Because you don't always hit your own car!
TFLG is offline Find More Posts by TFLG
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 01, 2003, 12:31 AM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
A 60 ounce Me-109 into your hood leaves a mark

TFLG
Old Sep 01, 2003, 01:27 AM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
Fallbrook, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
2,226 Posts
I see the need for insurance.. I just question whether the AMA will cover you for hitting someones car.. obviously you weren't following all their "Safety rules" (that mainly apply to Gas guys).. I am not trying to buck the system... it just seems like a scam in a sense.. you need this "license" to fly at some spots... but if something happens you probably weren't flying safe and you are on your own... just my two cents..

BD
BeeDee is offline Find More Posts by BeeDee
Old Sep 01, 2003, 01:45 AM
Cho Oi! Hay Qua!
Here
Joined May 2003
4,033 Posts
1500 Grit sand paper. Wet sand. 3M compound...bam shiny!
tomi is offline Find More Posts by tomi
Old Sep 01, 2003, 02:12 AM
San Diego
Joined Sep 2001
413 Posts
Are you sure that was a Me-109, at closer glance it looks more like a GU11

Johnny...................
Lil' Johnny is offline Find More Posts by Lil' Johnny
Old Sep 01, 2003, 04:53 AM
PWP!
USA, HI, Makawao
Joined Oct 2002
3,911 Posts
TFLG,

Can you explain the process of filing a claim. I've got AMA insurance, but never had to *knock on wood* use it as of yet.

Thanks

John
ajroahkni is offline Find More Posts by ajroahkni
Old Sep 01, 2003, 11:13 AM
No fuse too fat
USA, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Apr 2002
3,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Lil' Johnny
Are you sure that was a Me-109, at closer glance it looks more like a GU11

Johnny...................

Or maybe a B1RD.
slopeiron is offline Find More Posts by slopeiron
Old Sep 01, 2003, 11:59 AM
Vitruvian JART
San Francisco
Joined Mar 2003
5,023 Posts
If you wind up in court because you broke something or injured someone with your little toy, imagine the difference in attitude the judge/jury might have if you made the effort to obtain insurance vs. you standing next to your $200 an hour lawyer saying, "well, I heard they never pay anyway."

No one likes to drive around with un-insured motorists on the road. Yet we know how hard it is to get those guys to pay up sometimes.

And hey, maybe they will pay! That'd would surely be worth your $45.

Get AMA. It's better for all of us.
Reed is offline Find More Posts by Reed
Old Sep 01, 2003, 12:26 PM
That Freeking Laird Guy
Joined Feb 2002
9,117 Posts
I dunno how to file a claim with the AMA. Call them and they will be glad to explain it. This issue came up with Torrey Pines when it got shut down. The AMA wrote a nice long OFFICIAL letter stating that YES you are covered when slope soaring even though you can't follow that particular part of the saftey code. It does not apply to us nor do some of the other rules as they also don't apply to free flight or control line modelers.

I have never had to file a claim with the AMA only my homeowners for an RC related incident. Let me just say that I am sure glad the $4500 did not have to come out of my pocket. I don't care if anyone has AMA or not but you need something.

I will probably never use the AMA insurance because I have homeowners and any claims will go against that first. The AMA however does far more for us than provide some insurance. (besides how much insurance do you expect for $50 a year?) They cover our butts everytime the boneheads in Washington DC come up with some new bill to give our frequencies to someone else or some other brainstrom like that)

I did not post this as an AMA thread just to show you that it's pretty easy to do some damage even with a foamie. That was not the initial impact point. It must have hit the ground first because that mark was made by the tail of the plane. Fortunately it's just paint from the plane and can be buffed out but had it dented that hood imagine how much that woulda cost to get fixed.

TFLG
Old Sep 01, 2003, 01:26 PM
papasmurf
n/a Posts
Try your home woners insurance first. I believe that AMA would prefer that also. But before you file any claim remember that I'll count against you on your next premium, when you may really need it. So... for such a small ouwie, fix it yourself (of have someone do it).