Knaughty 5 26.32%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old Nov 10, 2012, 10:34 PM
who has rabbit ears down
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Hi Gang! Too much fun- and The Right Stuff is on HBO - Now_
Hey Sean! Got any beeman's it's my last wish!I have a fun story for ya'll, after combo of scanner job/ Right Stuff
Captain Canardly is offline Find More Posts by Captain Canardly
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: One printer running!
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:19 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Getting back to topic,
"Request Permission to Relieve Bladder" I'm a wet bag now
Yesterday the boss asked me how anger management was doing- I said pretty good- he said- cuz ya have an eviction letter @ home. "it's time for that again huh?" I got home and wife @ computer,( Safari not on the dock, but that's a different story )and found a new duplex-ended up being a cracker box hotel- wrong layout- a hospital bed in a 'bedroom' of 6X12??
another viewing tomoroww!
BTW Thunder storming now- WHAM speed-- big winds- about 50!
So Robh: I'm not gonna make ya duck- but I have sumthin for ya!
I had to redo the Sarah Wing so I could print out a paste together mode- so here that is, plus the wrong name on the notice!
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:53 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
United States, CA, San Jose
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I did some work on the Radian. I *finally* got the adapter off, with a good amount of cursing and a decently aggressive bastage file. Ohhh, yeah. Nothing eats up aluminum like a piece of roughened steel.

Anyways! Just as I suspected, there was a groove cut all around the motor shaft. In fact, there were two grooves cut. Something about this bugs me. The little tiny set screw did not have a flat bottom. It was deeply concave, and was basically just a hole punch. This, I think, contributed a little to the problem. The screw was originally set in the middle of the flat on the motor shaft, but when the prop spins up, the screw can move just a little before it digs in and holds on. (normal) This puts the screw on one edge of the flat. Then the screw gets tightened, and a permanent ring is cut into the flat. That ring makes the start of a nice ramp, and as the screw loosens with vibration and time, it takes that ramp one day, and leaves the prop spinning freely.

What I did about it was, after forcibly removing the adapter, I smoothed the shaft all around, removed the aluminum spalling that built up, and cleaned up the flat. I then dug in a little, and deepened the flat a smidge, only about .010", and tried to remove some of the ring. That didn't work as well as I wanted, and then I had a thought. I put the set screw on the end of the (thankfully very magnetic) screwdriver and I filed the end flat, so that it had more surface contact with the shaft and wasn't sharp, and wouldn't dig into the shaft any more.This also gives it more "foot" against the flat, and more leverage.

Once I, uh, buy a new adapter, I'll give it a whirl *ahem* and see how it holds. If I'm right, it should hold nicely.

I might give it a few more licks with the file though. Maybe widen the flat by the .020" required to get the better file to fit, and give it a few more gos.
Lil Stinkpot is offline Find More Posts by Lil Stinkpot
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:00 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 02:58 AM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
How do get such clean Macro pic Katie?
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:04 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Verrrrrrrrry carefully.

But that? That's a really sucky macro. Here's some of my better ones:

And yes, I do end up with a sticky lens sometimes.

By the way, all of this work was done just to give me SOMETHING on the end of the Radian while waiting for a paycheck (some day? please?) so that I can upgrade.
Last edited by Lil Stinkpot; Nov 11, 2012 at 03:09 AM.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:12 AM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
Hi Stinker

If you can hold the back end of the motor where the shaft is sticking out and keep the shaft from moving, then lightly move your new adapter back and forth at the same time gently tighting the allen set screw you can feel it find the center of that flat in the shaft.

If the adapter is a tight fit then it is harder to know you have the flat lined up just right for the set screw, so screw it in then out and look to see if the set screw is leaving its mark on the egde or in the center.

After seeing the set screw mark off on the side of the flat that is why it got loose and rotated on you.

That set screw you have is a ' cup point ' and meant to dig into softer metals but not on the harder motor shaft.

I take those set screws on a allen wrench and sand the end smooth on a belt sander, then a scotch brite wheel to smooth out the sanding marks then it works good up against a hard shaft.

Hope this helps.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:14 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
I forgot to add a tip: If you can, extend a finger or two of your left hand from the camera to the object you are trying to focus on. It helps stabilize your subject. Or, take it a step further HERE. (I wrote that)
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:18 AM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by granada don View Post
Hi Stinker

If you can hold the back end of the motor where the shaft is sticking out and keep the shaft from moving, then lightly move your new adapter back and forth at the same time gently tighting the allen set screw you can feel it find the center of that flat in the shaft.

If the adapter is a tight fit then it is harder to know you have the flat lined up just right for the set screw, so screw it in then out and look to see if the set screw is leaving its mark on the egde or in the center.

After seeing the set screw mark off on the side of the flat that is why it got loose and rotated on you.

That set screw you have is a ' cup point ' and meant to dig into softer metals but not on the harder motor shaft.

I take those set screws on a allen wrench and sand the end smooth on a belt sander, then a scotch brite wheel to smooth out the sanding marks then it works good up against a hard shaft.

Hope this helps.

G Don
Ya do the wiggle. Yep, I do that. Alas, this is a used plane I bought, and the gouge was already there. Nuttin' I could do about it by the time I got it, except pray and fly it. Looks like it finally gave out. Spectacularly!

I already have the screw filed down, though I might take it down a little more.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:06 AM
I need some building time in t
United States, AZ, Douglas
Joined Nov 2007
1,617 Posts
Hey Katie, What type of camera are you using? I might be able to give you a couple of tricks to try that could make your photography even better. Greater depth of field etc when in macro mode. I've been a major shutter bug for going on 40 years now and have a lot of tricks up my sleeve.
scaflock is offline Find More Posts by scaflock
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:21 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
Thanks Katie!- bookmarked,I'm running a Cannon SX20, my only legitimate purchase before the foreclosure in '10,up tilll then was film in a Pentax 500 from Maritius Islands 1974- Christmas, no batteries available of course.
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:34 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Jeff, it's a Canon SX 130 IS I think! Too lazy to go look. Click the link in my next to last post (the words verrry carefully) and it'll take you to a review of the camera. Great little point'n'shoot. There's a group of people that make a kind of software that goes on your card that gives you WAY more options and controls, but that last time I checked, there was still a bug with my model that would brick the camera. Thanks for the reminder-- I gotta go check and see if it's ready now. BTW, thanks for the reminder. I'll go checkthe manual and see how to set ISO and aperture manually. I'm still learning the camera, and I haven't ventured into the manual setting much.

Cap'n, I still have my old Pentax K-1000. That sucker is as old as I am, or older. Mom & Dad bought it used when I was born. I love that sucker, and I could do so much with it. I gotta find a lens reversal ring for it, or just tighten the belt and get a real macro lens. No batteries required, except for the little button battery, a common sort, for the light meter, that took 20 years to go out last time.

The Canon does really well. I sometimes have arguments with it on which object to focus on. Once I download the "hack" (Canon doesn't mind the software- won't void warranty), I'll have better focus controls. I can also get motion activated shutter, long exposures, and a lost of cool features I forgot. It'll be as close as I can be to a DSLR, without the SLR part.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 01:45 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Joined Jul 2011
3,324 Posts
Here's the website. http://chdk.wikia.com/wiki/CHDK

It looks like the hack for my model is still BETA, and the software is unstable. Darn. I'll check in from time to time.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:24 PM
life long racing nut & modeler
Granada Hills Ca.
Joined Nov 2009
2,039 Posts
In the 90's i bought a Nikon 6006 with a 35-135 zoom with macro, used 2" ring and it would fill the screen with a quarter.

Did not know enough about photog so let set, 3 yrs ago up graded to a Nikon D80 and last yr spent a few months building a 12' track & trolly with 2 swinging 3' arms.

One holds the softbox light, the other 3 54" wide paper back drop rolls , white - black - color?.

Had all the parts polished now some will anodized and strart to put all the pcs togerther, i build 1/16" scale car models that are custom painted with candys & pearls- scollops - flames - gold leaf - and pinstriping.

Now i can get serious about getting some neat shots of the models, and use the macro for the detail stuff.

Not enough time to get it all done and at 71' i run out of gas myself, just keep plugging away each day.

G Don
granada don is online now Find More Posts by granada don
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:32 PM
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,092 Posts
Don't know much about photography but those pics Katie posted look awesome to me!
seanpcola is online now Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:42 PM
who has rabbit ears down
Joined Jan 2007
3,682 Posts
That's fer sure!
I had to wright fast, as we had another viewing of the perfect place @ 1300-just got back from groceries/wife forgot the checkbook, so had to return to lock it down- not making that mistake again! details @ RochesterSoaring if interested
now I have to repack boxes during dexter& All
12-1 move - hopefully-
edit for Rochester--
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...239263&page=20
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Captain Canardly; Nov 11, 2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: add url