SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2014, 11:19 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,116 Posts
Well, I finally got around to shooting a "non snow" video with the Beaver. The colours on the trees are getting their first good blush. In another week or so they will be in their full glory. It was a fantastic evening for flying, a little bit of turbulence coming off the hill in front of the setting sun, but it soon died off.

I tried a different approach this time instead of the camera in the cockpit mode. This time I stuck the Go Pro on top of the wing. Great field of view, but the extra weight combined with the heavy Dubro wheels made the Beaver quite nose heavy. Also the extra drag was noticeable with the camera poking up in the air. I think in future, any more shots from this angle, the camera will have to be moved aft a bit to balance the model out a bit better.

E-Flite Beaver -fall colours flight 2014 (7 min 41 sec)
Rem Fodder is offline Find More Posts by Rem Fodder
Old Sep 30, 2014, 09:01 AM
Happy safe flying :-)
United Kingdom, Liverpool
Joined Jan 2013
434 Posts
Very nice indeed! Like the warm colours of the autumn trees.

QUOTE=Rem Fodder;29565150]Well, I finally got around to shooting a "non snow" video with the Beaver. The colours on the trees are getting their first good blush. In another week or so they will be in their full glory. It was a fantastic evening for flying, a little bit of turbulence coming off the hill in front of the setting sun, but it soon died off.

I tried a different approach this time instead of the camera in the cockpit mode. This time I stuck the Go Pro on top of the wing. Great field of view, but the extra weight combined with the heavy Dubro wheels made the Beaver quite nose heavy. Also the extra drag was noticeable with the camera poking up in the air. I think in future, any more shots from this angle, the camera will have to be moved aft a bit to balance the model out a bit better.

E-Flite Beaver -fall colours flight 2014 (7 min 41 sec)
[/QUOTE]
richard1971 is offline Find More Posts by richard1971
Old Sep 30, 2014, 02:33 PM
New Zealand, Auckland, Manukau
Joined Jun 2008
161 Posts
Beautiful flight, love the approach between the trees and a great landing. Text book !!! Was the vid at recorded speed, it looked a little fast, but then again always best to fly them on ? A classic for Beaver flight training.

I've just built up an ASI for my son-in-law who is putting together a fixed wing drone. He has a Taranus and we'll have an audio call out for airspeed, might just be worth putting in the Beaver for a few tests.
RCFlyingKiwi is offline Find More Posts by RCFlyingKiwi
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:05 PM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCFlyingKiwi View Post
Beautiful flight, love the approach between the trees and a great landing. Text book !!! Was the vid at recorded speed, it looked a little fast, but then again always best to fly them on ? A classic for Beaver flight training.

I've just built up an ASI for my son-in-law who is putting together a fixed wing drone. He has a Taranus and we'll have an audio call out for airspeed, might just be worth putting in the Beaver for a few tests.

Thanks for nice words. The video speed is at normal rate. I do not think that recording speed on a Go Pro can be sped up? The camera is set up for 960 resolution at 30 fps. Things do appear to go by rather quickly with the wide field of view. When coming through that gap in the trees which is about 25 feet wide, the flaps are full down and throttle about fast idle. From the ground it appears the Beaver is moving along quickly. I'm finding that flying the final in this manner I can still get good control response all the way to the deck. And again, because the landing area is so small, there is no time to leisurely let the model settle on to the grass. I have to put it down every time or end up in the weeds. That approach from the south is quite tame compared to the north approach. That involves splitting trees as well, but the approach has to be even steeper as the plane has to clear a 10 foot rise in the ground that is about 75+ feet in front of the strip. That one is little more of a white knuckle ride but entirely doable.
Old Oct 08, 2014, 01:25 AM
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jun 2010
103 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmisuinas View Post
I am using Kavan wheels on my Beaver project as well. To enhance the appearance I cut down the plastic rims. Pictures tell the story...Pete M
Nice job, looks more scale. I've so many mods slated, idk if I'll ever redo the wheels, but will keep in mind.
el touristo is offline Find More Posts by el touristo
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:32 AM
Joined Jun 2014
2 Posts
I live in Somerset County and was wondering where you fly your Beaver? I too have a few of the Beaver planes. I 'm a better builder/Repair than a skilled Pilot at this point.
10Bears is offline Find More Posts by 10Bears
Old Dec 01, 2014, 07:48 AM
United States, CA, Rancho Cordova
Joined Jan 2011
3,864 Posts
Hi everybody, I'm gluing my beaver back together after bonking the nose and breaking the motor mount.
I think it will be ok
barnstorm100 is offline Find More Posts by barnstorm100
Old Dec 07, 2014, 11:47 AM
Canada, MB, La Broquerie
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
DHC-2 Beaver

Here a few pics how I changed the look of my beaver I think it looks a lot better I cut the engine cowl bigger in the front showing more of the dummy motor and also change the color from gold to black.
leslie zaluski is offline Find More Posts by leslie zaluski
Old Dec 07, 2014, 12:52 PM
Joined Jun 2008
161 Posts
Nice touch. You are on the right track with the scale look, wonder no one has thought of it before.
Old Dec 07, 2014, 02:28 PM
Canada, MB, La Broquerie
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
beaver

Thanks I was getting bored flying it I figured if I change the look I'd start flying it again
Old Dec 15, 2014, 08:31 PM
Joined Jun 2008
161 Posts
Seasons greetings to all the Beavers out there. Have a great time on the skis, lucky buggers.

We have had an early Xmas gift, some yobo AXN guys have been badly misbehaving resulting in flying being banned in our local park by the authorities.

Fly safe and have a nice break.
Old Dec 16, 2014, 06:08 AM
Radio-active flyer
Canada, ON, Port Hope
Joined Apr 2012
1,116 Posts
Cheers from the Great White North Kiwi! Shame about the yobs ruining your fun. No matter what activity it is, hooligans seem to permeate them all at some level or other. Maybe for a good lark later, we northener's can compare our frostbite to your sunburn! Have a good one!
Old Dec 18, 2014, 11:30 PM
Canada, MB, La Broquerie
Joined Oct 2014
24 Posts
cessna 185

Well I was going to put my beaver on skis but the store didn't have any in stock good thing I have my Cessna on skis