HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Feb 14, 2013, 08:15 PM
United States, OR, Eagle Point
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
Discussion
T-Rex 600N

I have a T-Rex 600N that I converted to fbl with a DFC head. Im going to be putting a futaba gv1 on when it arrives. Has anyone used this govenor with a DX7S, and if so what did you set the radio to for head speeds,, and what were they? I dont have a tac but will eventually. Thanks in advance for any help.
brandyjdavis is offline Find More Posts by brandyjdavis
Last edited by brandyjdavis; Feb 14, 2013 at 08:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:21 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,445 Posts
You will have to go through the manual of the GV1, and setup each feature. No short cut of others settings. As far as head speed the GV1 can show that, as long as its setup correctly.
How much head speed depends on what you want out of the helicopter, and what engine it has. Like maximum power at the cost of fuel, and engine life. Or good power, longer life, less fuel wasted. Or just putting around. I usually set mine around 1950 rpm in idle up. Decent power, but not pushing it real hard.
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:12 AM
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
gv 1

Im just looking for good power. No need for excess for sure. I have a os 50 hyper for motor and a outrage pipe. Im not a hard flyer but I like to do flips and rolls with some inverted flight. Not a hard core 3-D guy. I will say im not that good. Yet! I appreciate your input for sure. To get your head speed of 1950 where abouts were on your radio for settings? Thanks.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:44 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,445 Posts
The head speed is set on the governor. How the transmitter changes that rpm depends on how you set it up. If you have a free channel, you can plug the governor into that channel to control the head speed. The manual is fairly vague, and has some typo's. Been awhile since I thought about it. You need to understand every menu, If not you should ask about that menu. So there is a basic way, and several ways more advanced.
I'll tell you the basic way. When you set the rpm in the governors menu, you use the transmitters switch, to switch between 3 headspeed settings. When you put the switch into each position, the rpm can be set. Under 1000 rpm is governor off. I use a 3 position switch, and set one position under 1000 for off, the middle to around 1700, and one to 1950 (or my maximum speed).
For this I leave the switches travels to the default (100% travel each way, center position at center of travel).
Old Feb 16, 2013, 04:55 PM
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
I plan putting on my 3 position gyro switch. Normal mode- off, Idle 1- mild head speed, idle 2- 3-D head speed. I have to set through my tx (DX7S) for the rpm's. The gv 1 logs your rpm's for you? You would be able to see that way what your actuall head speed is? Im buying the govenor used from another member on here so im not sure it will come with the manual but I did find one on line that i've been reading. Now I think I will have to experiment on what numbers will =what speed.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:25 PM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,445 Posts
Yes, the GV-1 can display the rpm. I little hard to read from a distance though. You have to input the correct gear ratio first. You enter in the gyro the actual rpm you want, for the switch position. head speed should be very close to the inputed value, as long as you don't change the travel settings of the channel after setting the governor.
The manual is not very good, takes a few reading to figure it out. Hard to write out the instructions in so little space.
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:40 PM
Joined Jul 2011
25 Posts
From what I read so far it says the gv will log the highest rpm after 90% throttle input for a flight. Maybe I miss read. My radio is programed for the hh on the same switch as the govenor will be on. Its the only 3 position switch or maybe I should put it on f mode to either just have on or off. I was hoping to put it on the 3 position so as to have 2 different speeds for the govenor for experiment until I find what I want for the speed.
Closed Thread