HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:18 AM
Joined Aug 2008
177 Posts
Hi Kha,

could you explain why you made a new fork from the thUndeadMod?
Why should users choose ur mod instead of the original code or the thUndeadMod?

Maybe put the explaination on Github Readme.md?

Thanks,

merry xmas

Sibi
_Sibi_ is offline Find More Posts by _Sibi_
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:28 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by _Sibi_ View Post
could you explain why you made a new fork from the thUndeadMod?
Why should users choose ur mod instead of the original code or the thUndeadMod?
Two good reasons:

1) ThUndead stopped maintaining it

2) my friend was using it and had problems like PPM not workking. I fixed that and a few other things and also did major cleanups in the code, this basically was my initial version.

Compared to the thUndeadMod it adds
- 10bit servo resolution (instead of 8)
- distress beacon
- binding (and PC less rekeying)

Since that I have added a few more features.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by kha; Dec 24, 2012 at 06:37 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:43 AM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
Seems I've been good, look what I got in the mail today.

Later today going to test this out and load my code in it.
I'm speccially curious about the antennas.
IceWind is offline Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:02 AM
18t
Joined Mar 2010
121 Posts
still no dice with this, openlrsng outputs:

āEEPROM data not valid or bind jumpper set, forcing bind
Waiting bind

I have no jumpers set, I wonder if I need to use something to properly clear eeprom before reflash.
18t is offline Find More Posts by 18t
Old Dec 24, 2012, 10:50 AM
kha
openLRSng haxor
Finland, Espoo
Joined Mar 2011
2,013 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18t View Post
still no dice with this, openlrsng outputs:

āEEPROM data not valid or bind jumpper set, forcing bind
Waiting bind

I have no jumpers set, I wonder if I need to use something to properly clear eeprom before reflash.
Before first bind it should output this... there is no good data on eeprom so it goes to wait for bind for ever.

Startting TX in bind mode while the RX is in this state should make it bind itself and write data to eeprom.
kha is online now Find More Posts by kha
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:13 PM
18t
Joined Mar 2010
121 Posts
same issue, no change. I put TX in bind (loud beep followed by clicking), plug in ftdi which allows me to open serial monitor and that's what it prints. Ive done it with randomizing the hop list and header letters and I've left them alone. The tx and rx files match exactly except for commenting out TX to do the RX.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:27 PM
Joined Sep 2011
478 Posts
Any chance someone did a range test with stock antennas @ 100mw ?
RoboSerg is offline Find More Posts by RoboSerg
Old Dec 24, 2012, 05:53 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
If weather allows I'll do it tomorrow. With stock FW as well.
Old Dec 24, 2012, 06:10 PM
Questionable judgement
Charles Town, WV
Joined Jan 2008
3,074 Posts
Mine arrived today. Now to figure out how to load firmware.
bracky72 is offline Find More Posts by bracky72
Old Dec 24, 2012, 07:00 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Yay, mine arrived at 8pm yesterday. I'd just finished transferring my fpv gear from my Bixler to my Raptor. The Bixler has one last tour of duty before retirement - a LOS range test.

I opened up an antenna last night: Pretty much what I've seen on many cb radios. Should be OK for a few km.
lobstermash is offline Find More Posts by lobstermash
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:29 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,691 Posts
So far all test passed. The stock software version seems to work ok.

Tried the PPM out, placing a 2.4Ghz plug binding chan 1 and 3 on the signal pin. It signals the PPM mode with 3 fast blinks on start. (similar to openLRS)
But the PPM out is on Chan 7 (openLRS is on chan 8).

Also tried Failsafe settings. Set stick positions press button for 3 - 4s and it beeps the TX and blinks the RX to signal the change.

Still need to check:
- With the Freq Scanner check the channels that is using/hopping.
- Signal lost alarm (tried with the usual method of placing the rx inside the microwave and it lits the second led, but the TX doesn't do anything. May need to further reduce the signal)
- RSSI out
Old Dec 24, 2012, 09:40 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
I put mine up in the air a few minutes ago to test it LOS with the stock firmware. I laid the antenna flat parallel to the plane to see if I could discover low signal behaviour LOS (I've got pretty good eyesight and can (just) see my Bixler to about 600m). At about 400m I noticed the motor cutting in and out occasionally. Also, the servo response time was fairly slow, but good enough to control the plane. No noise from the tx.

I brought it in and set the antenna vertical. This time I flew out as far as I could see (about 600m) and the motor stayed constant. I'm not 100% sure, but the servos seemed to be a little slower.

I'm 50/50 about sticking this on for FPV just yet. I think I want to know audibly about signal strength loss like you get with FrSky. Either way, it works well enough for the next phase of testing, but keen to hear other people's experiences...
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:06 PM
18t
Joined Mar 2010
121 Posts
also looking forward to hearing more reviews.

btw lobster, you answered me on hk but I've tested it in a few channels, never the first row to account for rssi. I'm surprised that I haven't gotten it yet, I do quite a bit of random electronic things. I'm flashing the way I've done a bunch of mwc boards, same 5v 16mhz board set.

anyone know what thundead meant by this, I may have tried it. "!!! PLEASE DO NOT USE ARDUINO 1.0 SDK! IT will break things! use 0.22 or 0.23 instead !!!" Does he mean brick hardware or the communication wont work until reflashed?
Old Dec 24, 2012, 11:28 PM
Joined Jul 2012
109 Posts
Ah, did you try it before flashing? Usually if the firmware's not right you don't get any leds going at all.
Old Dec 25, 2012, 05:46 AM
Finland
Joined Mar 2011
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18t View Post
also looking forward to hearing more reviews.

btw lobster, you answered me on hk but I've tested it in a few channels, never the first row to account for rssi. I'm surprised that I haven't gotten it yet, I do quite a bit of random electronic things. I'm flashing the way I've done a bunch of mwc boards, same 5v 16mhz board set.

anyone know what thundead meant by this, I may have tried it. "!!! PLEASE DO NOT USE ARDUINO 1.0 SDK! IT will break things! use 0.22 or 0.23 instead !!!" Does he mean brick hardware or the communication wont work until reflashed?
Most likely thundead just wrote the code to work with 0.2x compiler. Compilation with Arduino 1.0 would not work. There is no danger of destroying your tx/rx.

If you have Arduino 1.0, you could just use kha's openlrsng. Works like a charm.
kalasatu is online now Find More Posts by kalasatu