HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 06, 2012, 07:33 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
The XPS radio link is much better than anything you can get from Hitec or Spektrum. Neither is true frequency hopping - and that's why you hear all these 2.4 shoot-downs. XPS signal resolution is 2x that of Hitec, so better control, and the range is good as well. Also, the XPS nanos are tiny and light, and they operate stable down to 2V.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 07, 2012, 04:13 AM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTRotary View Post
The XPS radio link is much better than anything you can get from Hitec or Spektrum. Neither is true frequency hopping - and that's why you hear all these 2.4 shoot-downs. XPS signal resolution is 2x that of Hitec, so better control, and the range is good as well. Also, the XPS nanos are tiny and light, and they operate stable down to 2V.
Please point me to all those Hitec shootdowns.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Dec 07, 2012, 11:42 AM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
It's easy to lock out the Hitec's adaptive hopping mode. Just turn on two FPV systems on channels 1 and 2 (wipes out 1/2 of the 2.4GHz band), then turn on and connect your Hitec setup with adaptive mode. Now, change the channels of the FPV device to channels 3 and 4, and presto - instant lock out. Why? Because the adaptive mode does not fill back in unused frequencies (like ours does). So, only the frequencies originally selected when their system starts up will be used - and if those frequencies get walked on, the system locks out. Try it yourself.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 07, 2012, 12:35 PM
Rangers Lead the Way
Joined Mar 2010
2,203 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4*60 View Post
Please point me to all those Hitec shootdowns.
I personally lost 2 planes to Hitec, hence my decision to switch to XPS. Search my user profile for threads started by me and you can read all about it. Hitec concluded the module may have been faulty but they didn't know for sure. That does not give me my planes back, nor would itr help the child or person I could have injured. One of the issues with Hitec is that they release stuff before it is fully vetted, so most of their stuff requires upgrades and firmware patches. You buy a new RX and the first thing you have to do is update it. This is a ridiculous situation that Mike M. acknowledges. The radio itself is great, as I have stated before.

One thing can be said about XPS - Jim may be slow to get things out, but the stuff is solid by the time it gets into the user's hands.
TTRotary is offline Find More Posts by TTRotary
Old Dec 07, 2012, 01:42 PM
most exalted one
Canada, BC, Blind Bay
Joined Aug 2002
3,603 Posts
Quote:
One thing can be said about XPS - Jim may be slow to get things out, but the stuff is solid by the time it gets into the user's hands.
understatement imnsho. Carry on !
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Dec 07, 2012, 06:50 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
I hope this is true. RC Model Reviews said otherwise but they haven't said anything recently about XPS.

I bought an A9 after so many Spektrum lockouts thinking that if XPS failed to get things together I could at least go with HiTec. Your report and Jim's update are incentive for sticking with XPS.
I haven't flown anything of consequence since September
RyanNX211 is offline Find More Posts by RyanNX211
Old Dec 07, 2012, 08:04 PM
Xtreme Power Systems
Lake Havasu, AZ
Joined Jun 2005
15,938 Posts
Do you know anything about RC Model Reviews? It is run by a crack pot, nut case, who claimed to have built a cruise missle and was investigated by our government (as well as the New Zealand government). This guy knows next to nothing, and is trying to pass himself off as an expert. He actually works (or did at one time) for one of the competing Chinese 2.4GHz radio companies, with his mission as propaganda against all other 2.4GHz manufacturers. Do some research... I think the 20/20 or 60 minutes bit about him is still on YouTube... showing what a kook he is.
JimDrew is offline Find More Posts by JimDrew
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2012, 09:34 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2006
353 Posts
RC Model Reviews aka XJet. Claimed he was a jet designer. Found out he built pulse jets. I did that in high school. Claimed he was going to build his own 2.4 system and showed a picture of the XBee module. All you had to do was donate to him. No one got anything.

If you believe XJet I have a bridge in New York for sale.
skubacb is offline Find More Posts by skubacb
Old Dec 09, 2012, 11:38 AM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,519 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimDrew View Post
Do you know anything about RC Model Reviews? It is run by a crack pot, nut case, who claimed to have built a cruise missle and was investigated by our government (as well as the New Zealand government). This guy knows next to nothing, and is trying to pass himself off as an expert. He actually works (or did at one time) for one of the competing Chinese 2.4GHz radio companies, with his mission as propaganda against all other 2.4GHz manufacturers. Do some research... I think the 20/20 or 60 minutes bit about him is still on YouTube... showing what a kook he is.
This is interesting information. If you find the YouTube link, please post it.

See you in Toledo. Last year, I placed 2nd with one of your systems
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:30 PM
Tennessee
Joined Sep 2003
2,350 Posts
About 5 years ago, I began to question some of the information on RC Reviews so spent an idle afternoon searching the internet for information about XJet. A most entertaining afternoon and since then I have never believed anything he posted unless verified by an independent source.
ChuckA is offline Find More Posts by ChuckA
Old Dec 09, 2012, 12:47 PM
Upper Arlington, Ohio
Joined Dec 2007
1,519 Posts
Someone find the video!
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:18 PM
BANG IT!!!
United States, PA, Bellefonte
Joined Dec 2007
12,448 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanNX211 View Post
Someone find the video!
http://www.interestingprojects.com/c...ceonsunday.wmv
DaOldGuy is offline Find More Posts by DaOldGuy
Old Dec 09, 2012, 03:51 PM
Brisbane Australia
Joined Mar 2003
568 Posts
In the video he admits that he pretends to be an engineer and pretends to be a software developer.

It sounds like he is admitting to be a con artist.

Graeme Marion is offline Find More Posts by Graeme Marion
Old Dec 10, 2012, 01:32 PM
Pusher jets rule!
Mesa, AZ
Joined Jan 2006
17,678 Posts
XJet is Bruce Simpson. Google that name and I hope you have several hours available for some highly entertaining reading! Especially the part where he got a club shut down because of unsafe flying on a private airfield in New Zealand.

Pat
crxmanpat is online now Find More Posts by crxmanpat
Old Dec 11, 2012, 04:23 AM
Son, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
3,417 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
Especially the part where he got a club shut down because of unsafe flying on a private airfield in New Zealand.
By hitting an obsolete tower with a foamy?

He obviously had a point regarding XPS. If not, why was the system changed from the original hopping(?) algorithm? After the change, he stated that XPS is as good as other systems, dealing with interference.
flarssen is online now Find More Posts by flarssen