SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 20, 2012, 10:55 PM
Kurt Zimmerman ≡LSF 4461≡
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,393 Posts
Gallery
Show me your best floater.... Bent wings galore.

OK, so here I have just giving a major face lift to a 3m Viking MK I. Has not been in the air yet but I thought I'd post it here. Then I thought why not see other bent wing beauties. So here is the Viking before and after to start.
kzimmerm is offline Find More Posts by kzimmerm
Last edited by kzimmerm; Sep 20, 2012 at 11:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:00 PM
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,393 Posts
Some additions to the Bent Wing Beauties

Included here is my 27 year old Gentle Lady along with my 35+ year old Std. Aquila. The Gentle Lady has gone through 1 face lift. I had some wing repair work I did some time ago. The Aquila has gone through 2 face lifts. Both still are flyable, just need RX and battery.

FYI, my avatar is a picture of me hand-tossing the Aquila after the second face lift!
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:19 PM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
I'll play Kurt,

Here's one of my Aquilas, Sagitta 900, Oly 650, Wanderer, Lil' T and a 40yr old Doodler

chip.greely is offline Find More Posts by chip.greely
Old Sep 20, 2012, 11:36 PM
Montrose, NY
Joined May 2003
1,393 Posts
3m Scooter

I added this 3m Scooter to my collection this year. Has REF. I was really surprised to see that this plane has legs! My "season opener" saw close to 30 minutes on the my last flight of the day.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 05:25 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
Great thread idea! I guess my stretched flap driven OlyIII has been the float monster amongst my fairly humble TD sailplane fleet in recent years, it just keeps on giving and responds well to any skerrick of lift the terrain or air provides. Fingers and brains are more important than the aircraft when looking for airtime, so most good sailplanes can be lift monsters if well designed, built and fairly well trimmed for the days conditions.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:05 AM
United States, TX, Richmond
Joined Aug 2003
1,317 Posts
Houston Hawk, Number2.

My very first build with the help of designer Jack Womack in 2003. It's still flying. This was a club project back then, and we even molded the fuselages under the direction of Don Cleveland, who had the Condor fuselage mold.

AJ
solo6796 is offline Find More Posts by solo6796
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:10 AM
United States, PA, Columbia
Joined Feb 2002
222 Posts
Chip,

What was a Doodler? I have a plane in the attic called a Doodler that my wife started to build circa 1972. Without going to check, I think it was by Southwest Sailplanes model. All solid balsa wing and tail feathers. I think it was designed by Dave Thornburg.

Charlie
cpc625 is offline Find More Posts by cpc625
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:37 AM
Balsa addiction since age 3
Upstate NY
Joined May 2005
1,275 Posts
I like your Viking! How about a Viking Mk2 built in 1983 with semi-symmetrical airfoil - talk about high speed and penetration capability! Yes, it is a hybrid with an electric motor. Tape repair for grass popping through the covering on the right stab is from 1984 - still holds. Longest flight this year was over 80 minutes on 200Meter launch - two pilots because after 1 hr my neck gets too sore and my floaters (in my eye sadly) are sometimes bigger than the plane. And never too high as my vision is limited. Has a real time altimeter which has been a blast to use (FrSky RF, FlySky 9x and Winged Shadow systems - How High sensor)

Second picture is a Sagitta 900 built in 1983 freshly recovering in coverite fluorescent red and yellow to help my bad eyes see it! Also a hybrid.

Scott
PS - Each has flown more the last two years than the last 20 combined! So much easier popping a battery in and going. ALES is quite a nice change.
ScottSails is offline Find More Posts by ScottSails
Last edited by ScottSails; Sep 21, 2012 at 08:38 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:47 AM
If it flies - I want one!
Werribee, Victoria, Australia
Joined Jul 2008
1,079 Posts
Yingani and Mimi

Here are my favourites: Yingani (the rainbow) is own design for gentle XC and thermalling - average flight time over 30mins. RES, plus vario.
Mimi is slightly modified from the excellent plan by Franz Bals on RCGroups DLG forum - built-up wing and more shapely pod to suit my gear and taste.
Cheers,
PeteM
Petem is offline Find More Posts by Petem
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:58 AM
Kyle Clayton
United States, VA, Dinwiddie
Joined Feb 2008
2,438 Posts
Not a "pure" sailplane, but boy did she float. 4 meters of monocote overcast, she would thermal as easy as a butterfly and ride lift lighter than my 9oz DLG's could catch.
Wave Glider is offline Find More Posts by Wave Glider
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Old Sep 21, 2012, 07:59 AM
aejr sucks little black ones
United States, TX, San Antonio
Joined Nov 2007
3,876 Posts
PeteM, that is close to being float heaven!

Cheers for putting the pic up, boys and their toys.
atmosteve is offline Find More Posts by atmosteve
Last edited by atmosteve; Oct 03, 2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:31 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,545 Posts
Now that some electric's have been shown I'll chime in.
Piper J3 is offline Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:37 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpc625 View Post
Chip,

What was a Doodler? I have a plane in the attic called a Doodler that my wife started to build circa 1972. Without going to check, I think it was by Southwest Sailplanes model. All solid balsa wing and tail feathers. I think it was designed by Dave Thornburg.

Charlie
Charlie,

I honestly can't remember if it was Dave's design or not,....

....but yes it was the solid balsa sheet wood wing, angled together to create the airfoil. The rest of the plane was minimal construction to help make up for the wing weight.

Not too surprisingly, the wing was the first part damaged and after several repairs, I ended up building my Lil' T wing for use with the Doodler (Lil' Toodler?). That combo has survived a wide band AM radio failure at Torrey Pines and 40yrs of house moves, children, pets and an occasional flight.

If you pull it out of the attic, I'd love to see pix of it. It's a good flier, even better with the Lil' T wing

Chip
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
United States, PA, Columbia
Joined Feb 2002
222 Posts
Chip,

That's why I didn't recognize it. The Lil T wing threw me off. I started gliders with a Lil Tee back in '72. What a lead sled I built. I still have 2 unbuilt kits somewhere.

The Doodler still rests in the same unfinished state it was in when my wife lost interest.

Charlie
cpc625 is offline Find More Posts by cpc625
Old Sep 21, 2012, 09:47 AM
Carlsbad, Ca
Joined Mar 2007
3,165 Posts
Giant Oly - 20ft ws

This one is not mine,

....but my friend Neil has a 20ft ws Oly. I'm certain this one could take a small pet for a ride and at least twice a year I try to get him to pull it down and give it a flight. He usually responds with, 'I should just sell it'.

Sorry for the picture quality, but I honestly can't fit the whole thing in one shot.

BTW-The Paragon pictured is a great flier