HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:47 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,342 Posts
Thanks Kauaiguy, i will try this on my 250 to see if it helps.
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:51 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,465 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sp00fman View Post
Thanks Kauaiguy, i will try this on my 250 to see if it helps.
I don't think they make an extended shaft for the 250, but it sure works good on the 450!
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Mar 29, 2012, 06:45 PM
Looptastic!
Enschede, Netherlands
Joined Nov 2009
2,342 Posts
Well, i was referring to the gyro dead-band . I think the tail blade pitch is plenty when stock.
I have a bit of wag that does not seem gain related, but forcing gain down so it wont hold very tight. Does changing gyro-deadband make it less susceptible to vibrations?
sp00fman is offline Find More Posts by sp00fman
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:11 PM
Kauai
Joined Jan 2011
4,465 Posts
Quote:
Well, i was referring to the gyro dead-band . I think the tail blade pitch is plenty when stock.
I have a bit of wag that does not seem gain related, but forcing gain down so it wont hold very tight. Does changing gyro-deadband make it less susceptible to vibrations?
It has to do with making the area that the gyro doesn't respond larger so if you have a good gyro it could be over reacting (noisy) when I went from 4 to 5 my tail servo stays quiet unless i touch the heli.I was also able to increase my gyro gain 10 points.
Steve
Kauaiguy is offline Find More Posts by Kauaiguy
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:20 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by fretman View Post
There was one of two in this thread reporting a loose pcb inside, check yours just to be sure?
Hi Fretman,

Yep read all about this gyro before I purchased it....and you know me...first thing I did was open it up lol.

Checked the connector pin termination points weren't too long...wouldn't take much for these to hit the case. Double tape on those as well as between the processor and the case...pcb's not moving!

I'll tidy the whole heli up get all the wiring sorted etc and then start playing with tapes I think.

Gyro is working really nice though. No complaints. Default values never ever work well on these smaller helis.

I've left the P and I at stock model 4 and dropped the D to 3. Then played around with the decel to get decent stops. Tail still felt kinda weird...too twitchy in the centre even with +25 expo and 45 rotation rate. Going to more expo +30 the tail was too slow in the centre but I still had unwanted rudder input in flips etc. Increased rc deadband...think I'm running 60 now and reduced the expo back to +25 feels quite nice to me.

Alot more tweaks to go. Running +6 collective/tail and +4 cyclic to tail....it's getting there.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Ok so got everything hooked back up. Ran the heli up without blades as was suggested here. I touched the gyro while holding onto the boom and nothing. No servo twitching. I also tried nudging it, running it at different speeds, touching parts of the heli with metal and the servos didn't move at all. So I suppose I'm stumped now. Had it mounted the exact same place as before. I can feel a bit of vibration in the boom, and also feel a tad of vibration on the cx unit itself while I was touching it. Any ideas.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Mar 30, 2012, 03:22 PM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,984 Posts
Bump!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Doggs View Post
Over the last few flights, my 450 has taken on a pitch instability - it seems to nod up and down, almost in the same way it might if the HS was too low - but I'm running HS2700 governed, and the problem persists when I run HS2900.

I tried reducing pitch P gain from 80 down to 60, and it seemed to help a little, but didn't clear it up.

I tried increasing the Gyro deadband from 4 all the way up to 16, since my cyclic servos are sloppy Coronas - and that seemed to help a bit.

Then, when I got the heli home, I noticed that the elevator ball link on the outer swash was loose! In fact I'm a bit hacked off about it since the thread has stripped on the new HK swash.

So the moral of the story is not to neglect the basics of mechanical setup before diving into FBL controller tweaks!
The blue threadlock seems to be holding, and the bobble has gone, with cyclic P and I gains back up to 80. And as a bonus, the tail seems a bit better too.
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 30, 2012, 10:34 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,384 Posts
Glad you sorted that problem out. My Fitec tail servo is still working great with the gyro gain about 28. Heli is flying really nice too.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Old Mar 31, 2012, 12:14 AM
just gotta mess with it!
North West Louisiana
Joined Nov 2009
4,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Glad you sorted that problem out. My Fitec tail servo is still working great with the gyro gain about 28. Heli is flying really nice too.
Yes, I reckon the Fitec is the best 9257 clone I've tried so far - must get another one!
2Doggs is online now Find More Posts by 2Doggs
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Nano Tech 1800mah 4S 25-50c
Old Mar 31, 2012, 11:31 AM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
I'm setting up this gyro on a 250 and I have a question. Servo number 2 (the pitch servo) seems to behave oddly compared to the others. It seems to worj when using aileron, but when doing elevator or pitch, it seems to not follow the rest of the servos. I'mnot saying it's doing the opposite, but it seems very sluggish. When I am contolling pitch, it is reveresed for pitch functionality, so when I increase pitch it drops, however when I decrease pitch it does not really move at all. Any suggestions?
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Last edited by GetterDragun; Mar 31, 2012 at 01:49 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:46 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Nov 2010
2,384 Posts
Well assuming the servo works when plugged directly into the rx, you can reverse the servo in the program menu for the gyro.
ridge_racer is offline Find More Posts by ridge_racer
Last edited by ridge_racer; Mar 31, 2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 02:54 PM
Joined May 2005
1,113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ridge_racer View Post
Well assuming the servo works when plugged directly into the rx, you can remove the servo in the program menu for the gyro.
Everything was setup correctly prior to putting the gyro in. Swash was level and pitch was set correctly.

If I take it out of the program, how will the gyro be able to work without that servo being controlled by the gyro?
GetterDragun is offline Find More Posts by GetterDragun
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Dec 2010
109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.M View Post
Nice flying!

That tail hunting (not wag) doesn't look healthy. Possible causes: vibes, slop, deadband set too high, or tail servo dying.
Hmm...I've tried many times to increase the deadband. I guess I should try decreasing it now that you suggested it. You are talking about gyro deadband NOT rc deadband right?

Quote:
That slow wag looks like too much I-gain to me. Lower it by 20 and see if its gone.
Lowering the I-gain deffinetly tames it down but it doesn't seem to go away until about 20 and then it doesn't feel locked in anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kauaiguy View Post
I had a tail hunt that I couldn't tune out until I turned the gyro deadband up to 5,I was then able to turn my gyro gain up to 35 and now it's working good!I have also tryed the microheli extended tail shaft on my BA and now have 45 degrees both directions (tail holds steady in pitch pumps)also the shaft is few thousands bigger in dia. so bearings fit tighter and the pitch slider has less play.I also made my own 3mm tail shafts with ejector rod and locktited the aluminum pulley on and it's much slicker( nitride coated)and perfectly straight!I haven't been impressed with the quality and machining of shafts from China.Havent bent any shafts since I've been making my own and collateral damage seems less as well.
Steve
I tried increasing my deadband little by little up to 20 and there was not much change at all and the wag persisted. at 30 the tail became scary loose :/
Pitchlynn is offline Find More Posts by Pitchlynn
Old Mar 31, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetterDragun View Post
Everything was setup correctly prior to putting the gyro in. Swash was level and pitch was set correctly.

If I take it out of the program, how will the gyro be able to work without that servo being controlled by the gyro?
Are you programming with the software? It sounds like either that servo needs to be reversed or you have either the servo plugged into the wrong spot on the gyro, or the wrong wire going to the receiver. Check the manual for the gyro and your receiver and make sure you got it all hooked up correctly. If so it probably just needs to be reversed. If you dont have the software you can probably just reverse that servo in your radio. Also check your end points on that channel in your radio as well as the software if your using it and make sure its 100% both directions. It should do the opposite as the other ail servo when ail is applied, and it should move the same direction for elev and pitch provided your referring to the correct servo. Also make sure you have your swashplate setup in the gyro correctly. I'm not familiar with the 250 but im assuming its 120 degrees like all the other rexes are. I know for my setup I had to reverse a servo as well as reverse the pitch range in the software.
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Mar 31, 2012, 05:02 PM
United States, WA, Issaquah
Joined May 2011
1,524 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchlynn View Post
Hmm...I've tried many times to increase the deadband. I guess I should try decreasing it now that you suggested it. You are talking about gyro deadband NOT rc deadband right?
Yep gyro deadband. I would not go higher than 7-8 on the tail.

How's the slop in the tail? what about binding? Are your grip bearings good? Pull out hard onto the blade grips and try to move them around to feel for any notchiness or binding under load.

Finally how's your tail servo? Put it on the tester, or connecter directly to the Rx and watch for problem spots, stripped gears, or other weirdness.
Dr.M is offline Find More Posts by Dr.M