Old Oct 23, 2011, 03:24 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,611 Posts
Help!
Need help!!!!!

I'm just getting into aerial R/C and have bought a SkyFun ARF pusher jet from Hobby King. It came in the mail and I assembled it and such, then I had it set up by my LHS because I've never set up a RX for a plane before. The guy did well, but I didn't know which way to push the sticks on the radio, so I pushed the right stick up, thinking that the plane would go up, and it went down, so I changed the servos so that when I move the stick up the elevators in the back go up (or whatever those parts are called).

The parts move up, but with the plane at full throttle it won't lift off. It is thrown, then coasts straight with me slamming the stick upwards, nothing happens. Still seems to just nose-dive again and again.

I'm getting frustrated because it doesn't makes sense. When those elevators in the back move up, the plane moves up, right? Or am I wrong? The plane can't go upwards, it can only go straight forward and down.

NEED HELP!

Dan
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:26 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
United States, FL, Clearwater
Joined May 2011
1,665 Posts
Well, if you don't know which way is supposed to be up on the controls, then you have no experience at all. What that means is that you have about zero chance of learning to fly on that airplane.

"Down" on the right stick is supposed to be "UP" on the airplane, Think of it as "pulling the nose up" or "pushing the nose down" with the right stick.

If you you really want to get into the hobby and be successful, set your jet aside for a while and get a Hobby Zone Champ to learn the basics on.

Wolfe
wolfewinde is offline Find More Posts by wolfewinde
Old Oct 23, 2011, 04:35 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfewinde View Post
Well, if you don't know which way is supposed to be up on the controls, then you have no experience at all. What that means is that you have about zero chance of learning to fly on that airplane.

"Down" on the right stick is supposed to be "UP" on the airplane, Think of it as "pulling the nose up" or "pushing the nose down" with the right stick.

If you you really want to get into the hobby and be successful, set your jet aside for a while and get a Hobby Zone Champ to learn the basics on.

Wolfe
LOL! Well, I always set up my simulator to have the stick move up to make the plane move up and I learned that way... so.. yeah... lol

I switched around the servos so that my way of controlling should work - but it doesn't lift the plane's nose high enough, that's my question.
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:20 PM
RIP Ric
Marietta, GA
Joined Jun 1999
43,312 Posts
Four words: "join club, find instructor"..

Also, spend some time in the BEGINNER forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...aft-electric-8
..a
Andy W is offline Find More Posts by Andy W
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:22 PM
**** 37130 ****
Joined Aug 2007
1,781 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post
Who can fly with the controls reversed.
RobC(UK) is offline Find More Posts by RobC(UK)
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:35 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy W View Post

Also, spend some time in the BEGINNER forum: http://www.rcgroups.com/beginner-tra...aft-electric-8
..a
I didn't even know there was a beginner forum... lol there's so many forums on here, still adjusting to all of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobC(UK) View Post
Who can fly with the controls reversed.
Yeah... I guess I'll have to learn the right way... groan... I dunno, it makes more sense if you move the stick up that the plane goes up to me...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 23, 2011, 05:47 PM
Senile Member
Moab, Utah, USA
Joined Apr 2003
6,285 Posts
It's all a matter of orientation. I hold my transmitter horizontal, or at least nearly horizontal. Therefore I view it as moving the elevator control forward and rearward just as in the full size airplane. Pushing the stick forward makes the airplane dive and pulling the stick back makes the airplane climb.

Just a note: holding the transmitter in a horizontal orientation puts its antenna in the same plane as the airplane's antenna. That is as it should be for maximum signal coupling.

Larry
Lnagel is online now Find More Posts by Lnagel
Old Oct 23, 2011, 10:02 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
I didn't even know there was a beginner forum... lol there's so many forums on here, still adjusting to all of it!

Yeah... I guess I'll have to learn the right way... groan... I dunno, it makes more sense if you move the stick up that the plane goes up to me...
Play a lot of video games, I'll bet?

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Oct 24, 2011, 07:26 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Play a lot of video games, I'll bet?

Chuck
I do not own a single gaming system.

(Other than my simulator)

-Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 24, 2011, 10:19 PM
Balsa to the Wall
Deep in the East Texas Piney Woods
Joined Dec 2001
4,603 Posts
Quote:
I do not own a single gaming system.

(Other than my simulator)

-Dan
Interesting, many video gamers use the "push to look up" method on the sticks. Makes it hard to teach them how to use the elevator on RC planes.

Good luck.

Chuck
Chuck is offline Find More Posts by Chuck
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:16 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck View Post
Interesting, many video gamers use the "push to look up" method on the sticks. Makes it hard to teach them how to use the elevator on RC planes.

Good luck.

Chuck
Thanks! I may not be staying with aerial R/C for long, probably going to get back into trucks. If I stay with the air, I'll get a cheap HK trainer and learn MY way of flying..
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by DJO; Oct 25, 2011 at 09:28 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 PM
The earth sucks! Thankfully.
United States, OK, Tulsa
Joined Jun 2003
447 Posts
You have been given good advice. If you stay with RC flying and a friend lets you fly their airplane will you remember that the elevator is reversed on everyone else's setup or will you crash their plane? Perhaps stubbornness isn't the better part of valor here.

- Jim
JimHSoars is offline Find More Posts by JimHSoars
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:47 PM
"Free crash instruction"
long island N.Y.
Joined Jan 2004
1,717 Posts
Like everyone here on forum,I recommend going to club field or ask for help from an experienced flier. I'm sure one of the guys has a cheap trainer rather than buying, shipping and waiting???????......HK, if you have a problem with purchase it's iffy also. The local guys will help you, stress free and save you some money and grief when you dork one in. You can also ask LHS if they have any used champs or similar trainers. I hear ya when you say truck guy cause theirs racers and fliers....rare, do I see both on a regular use. Plane guys fly plane's and some can fly heli's too, but usually stick to one mostly. Enjoy the humor as my stubborn attitude got me a few times......I'm not the only
RC Flying Newbie (3 min 36 sec)
Cr@sh is offline Find More Posts by Cr@sh
Last edited by Cr@sh; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:59 PM.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 11:01 PM
You sabotaged my plane.
Arizona
Joined Jun 2002
2,846 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I may not be staying with aerial R/C for long, probably going to get back into trucks. If I stay with the air, I'll get a cheap HK trainer and learn MY way of flying..
If you are going to learn "your way" why are you here asking questions? Listen to the advice of the people here who have taking the time to help you. There advice will save you a tremendous amount of frustration. By taking time out of their day to offer help and not taking it wastes their time and yours if you refuse to use it. Remember the pilots here have years of combine experience which can save money and help make the hobby very rewarding.

Jim
eliworm is online now Find More Posts by eliworm
Old Oct 26, 2011, 07:33 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,611 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliworm View Post
If you are going to learn "your way" why are you here asking questions? Listen to the advice of the people here who have taking the time to help you. There advice will save you a tremendous amount of frustration. By taking time out of their day to offer help and not taking it wastes their time and yours if you refuse to use it. Remember the pilots here have years of combine experience which can save money and help make the hobby very rewarding.

Jim
The conversation got off-topic and I'm not refusing any advice, I just do what makes more sense to me. My original Q was about getting it in the air, not about my backwards controls.
RCG Plus Member