Closed Thread
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:47 PM
Fidler & twidler
Cranfield U.K.
Joined Mar 2004
4,083 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by victapilot View Post
Those moon pictures and videos are great!!

Sorry to see the #16 thread closed. Not dead but flat on its back and not breathing!!! Maybe we should use the Mega keyfob thread until...
It is an huge temptation to try to do something like these pictures, except in UK in wiwnter we only see the underside of clouds most of the time .

Tom's #16 thread is locked, but he has posted there that it will re-open again soon when a new firmware release is cleared for release.
there is an orphan thread, origionally opened by FishyComics as a copy thread, which he cleared all his messages from, renamed and abandoned, which remains open (for now) and had some chitchat going on. HERE . the name "Discussion take note of abuse" is ironic as FC seems to have dissipated completely, ?banned? anyone know?
Mike
empeabee is offline Find More Posts by empeabee
Last edited by empeabee; Nov 26, 2012 at 06:48 PM. Reason: sorry for OffTopic. Will not mention again.
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:57 PM
Just thumbing through...
United States, SC, Simpsonville
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Has anyone tried the new #18 firmware in their #11? I assume it works with the early version #11.

Thanks!
victapilot is online now Find More Posts by victapilot
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:07 PM
Dance the skies...
United States, MA, Walpole
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Has anyone tried the new #18 firmware in their #11? I assume it works with the early version #11.

Thanks!
The developer put a block on that... I suspect it is still there. People were buying cheaper #11 cameras then loading #18 FW into them to get a "deal".
Tom Frank is online now Find More Posts by Tom Frank
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:15 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Frank View Post
The developer put a block on that... I suspect it is still there. People were buying cheaper #11 cameras then loading #18 FW into them to get a "deal".
I think they crippled the newer version #11 hardware, but I was hoping the firmware works for V1. Some folks have done this by changing the firmware filename, but prior to the September #18 firmware version as far as I know.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 08:20 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
I think they crippled the newer version #11 hardware, but I was hoping the firmware works for V1. Some folks have done this by changing the firmware filename, but prior to the September #18 firmware version as far as I know.
Oh, I thought you were asking about the newer #11 version accepting #18 FW. I flashed one of the old #11 versions when the #18 FW came out, and it worked but it was a one way street. Flashing back to #11 resulted in tiny 16:9 aspect frame size. I remember posting about all this a long time ago in this thread, so you can probably find it with a proper search key. My #11 cameras have all met their expiration dates, so I've no way to check anymore.
Last edited by Tom Frank; Nov 27, 2012 at 08:25 AM.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 09:01 AM
Just thumbing through...
Joined Feb 2009
4,476 Posts
So sad the #11 vendors don't provide this as after-sales service. I'll keep using the old firmware despite the color instability.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 11:09 AM
Gravity - It's the law
USA, CO, Denver
Joined Jul 2008
1,025 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by empeabee;23370459[COLOR=black
]...([/COLOR]He who's name shall not be mentioned) seems to have dissipated completely, ?banned? anyone know?
Mike
Gawd, I hope so

Yabba
Yabba is offline Find More Posts by Yabba
Old Nov 27, 2012, 03:34 PM
Southwest England
Joined Nov 2010
331 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
I just wondered if anyone had tried the 16 firmware on the 11? Any versions that might improve the brown green colour shift problem? I note that some have tried the 18 firmware. (I've got quite a few old versions of 16 firmware saved.)
bobflyman is offline Find More Posts by bobflyman
Old Nov 27, 2012, 07:16 PM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
I just wondered if anyone had tried the 16 firmware on the 11? Any versions that might improve the brown green colour shift problem? I note that some have tried the 18 firmware. (I've got quite a few old versions of 16 firmware saved.)
I've not tried it, Bob, but I'm pretty sure it will not work. The #11 and #18 were from the same developer and similar in the early versions. The #16 is a totally different developer and circuit design, so I would not try it.
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:09 AM
Joined Nov 2010
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobflyman View Post
I would also very much advise against it. Remember the hardware circuits are completely different, the most important difference being the #16 has three LEDs but the #18 only has two. The LEDs, except the battery charge LED, are controlled by firmware, so I don't know what will happen if the firmware wants to output a signal and there is no electrical connection.

In the worst case you will destroy your camera. In the next worse case you will brick it, but could recover the firmware by reprogramming the SPI. The best case would be if it would work, except for one LED.

Even if you would have the best case, I doubt you would be very happy blindly pressing buttons because of a missing LED.

This is one test I would personally not do.
IMO, you have nothing to gain, but a lot to use.

There are better solutions....
Isoprop is offline Find More Posts by Isoprop
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:15 AM
United States, CA, Morro Bay
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Tom and gang I apologize as I'm a tad late in this LONG thread on the #18. I bought 3 for my sons for Christmas from Helexapro on eBay. I still run my 2 #11's for my heli flight videos and hat cam and they work fine for what I do. I've bought all my cams from Helexapro. No issuer ever.

Now my questions as this is a long thread to search...... Beside the additional features over the #11. Are they at least as good video quality wise as the #11? I ordered them (.MOV) with the latest firmware and the date/time stamp removed. These will pretty much be used by my boys as hat cams for flying and other general purpose filming etc. I also got them Class 10 4GB cards for them as well. Hope I didn't screw the pooch and they work OK with decent video/sound. Just got them the other day. Again sorry for the late jump in as I just need a basic opinion on quality, ease of use (probably like the #11). Thanks in advance for the input........ Tony

Incidentally these are the 3 I ordered and received...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320997840897...84.m1497.l2649
firedude52 is offline Find More Posts by firedude52
Last edited by firedude52; Dec 01, 2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 10:52 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedude52 View Post
Tom and gang I apologize as I'm a tad late in this LONG thread on the #18. I bought 3 for my sons for Christmas from Helexapro on eBay. I still run my 2 #11's for my heli flight videos and hat cam and they work fine for what I do. I've bought all my cams from Helexapro. No issuer ever.

Now my questions as this is a long thread to search...... Beside the additional features over the #11. Are they at least as good video quality wise as the #11? I ordered them (.MOV) with the latest firmware and the date/time stamp removed. These will pretty much be used by my boys as hat cams for flying and other general purpose filming etc. I also got them Class 10 4GB cards for them as well. Hope I didn't screw the pooch and they work OK with decent video/sound. Just got them the other day. Again sorry for the late jump in as I just need a basic opinion on quality, ease of use (probably like the #11). Thanks in advance for the input........ Tony
The #18 is MUCH better over all. More stable image colors (none of that white balance shift the #11 had), and now you can load in firmware which allows changing settings via a GUI program and configuration text file rather than having to load in new firmware for each change.
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:01 AM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Thanks Tom! Just what I was looking for. May order a couple more for myself. I was suppose to receive and email with the GUI program and config file listed on the sellers page, but see it's available here so will download for me and the boys. the boys aren't real techie so they may choose not to mess with it, but In will, Thanks again!..... Tony
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:10 AM
Dance the skies...
Joined Dec 2003
17,980 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedude52 View Post
Thanks Tom! Just what I was looking for. May order a couple more for myself. I was suppose to receive and email with the GUI program and config file listed on the sellers page, but see it's available here so will download for me and the boys. the boys aren't real techie so they may choose not to mess with it, but In will, Thanks again!..... Tony
Both of the files you want are in my #18 thread (you're in the #11 thread here, so you won't find any #18 files here).
Old Dec 01, 2012, 11:12 AM
Joined May 2012
74 Posts
Thanks Tom, I found them.
Closed Thread