HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 30, 2010, 05:13 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Discussion
Ice 80HV spoolup question???

I imagine I am grasping at straws with this question but I'll ask anyway.

I am flying curves instead of gov. on a 600-class/12S and would like to have my spoolup be 1-to-1 when I am in Normal flight mode so I control spoolup totally with the stick. But, I would like to maintain the Soft Start function for my Idle-up flight modes. Any way to do this?
RMG2 is offline Find More Posts by RMG2
to remove ads between posts
Old May 01, 2010, 12:49 PM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
I'm guessing the answer to my question above is..., "no"???
Old May 01, 2010, 05:05 PM
X-Era Motors
Newport, NC
Joined Jan 2002
2,225 Posts
Controlling the spoolup with your stick is pretty abnormal these days but I think you can still do it. Just set your "headspeed change rate" really low and it should work fine although your curves won't work very well since the controller will be lagging your input. IMHO there is no reason not to use the governor, but thats just me.
DavidB. is offline Find More Posts by DavidB.
Old May 02, 2010, 01:08 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidB. View Post
Controlling the spoolup with your stick is pretty abnormal these days but I think you can still do it. Just set your "headspeed change rate" really low and it should work fine although your curves won't work very well since the controller will be lagging your input. IMHO there is no reason not to use the governor, but thats just me.
I've been called worse than, "abnormal"!

Let me explain. I have learned to fly with smaller helis (450) using lesser ESCs that have very poor "Soft Start" features. Consequently, I have learned to spoolup in Normal mode with throttle input that is 1-to-1 ratio. I switch into Idleup while in the air where the poor "Soft Start" function has little affect on the headspeed increase. Though this may sound less than good to you, I actually like it as it's what I am use to. I just thought it would be nice to have a 1-to-1 spoolup in Normal, and a nice Soft Start in Idleup if possible, thus the original question.

I tried making the changes in Castle Link that you suggested and the ESC does not respond to the "Headspeed Change Rate" any differently no matter what the setting???

Bye the way, after reading for months about all the data I can find on several forums about throttle modes for large electrics, I would guess that just as many still fly curves as fly gov. even on 600e helis.

The group that hangs in the TRex 600e forum on HF have found through data recording that they actually get slighlty more flight time using curves verses gov. mode. Their argument suggest that the headspeed stays so close with curves that the issue of headspeed is insignificant and the fact that they get more flight time has them favoring curves over the gov.

The Compass 6HV I am building is my first large eheli and I plan to experiment with both curves and gov. to find my own preference regardless what others prefer.

Thanks for the suggestions, they just don't work the way I wish.
Old May 06, 2010, 09:08 AM
Castle Support
USA, GA, Statesboro
Joined Oct 2007
966 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMG2 View Post
I imagine I am grasping at straws with this question but I'll ask anyway.

I am flying curves instead of gov. on a 600-class/12S and would like to have my spool-up be 1-to-1 when I am in Normal flight mode so I control spoolup totally with the stick. But, I would like to maintain the Soft Start function for my Idle-up flight modes. Any way to do this?
You can set your initial Spool Up to a very High value and that might spool up the way you want. The custom value is available of 0-20 with 0 being slow and 20 being fast.

If I am using 0 at the bottom of any flight condition I always make sure that I dont try to fly very much set this way. Even in a beginner throttle curve setup I would rather use soft start at 5 and then have a curve like 30-50-60-60-60 or something like that the motor will slow down but not get into a soft start condition. I use hold for arming and going back to soft start for these setups. I hope this helps.
Clintstone is offline Find More Posts by Clintstone
Old May 07, 2010, 02:17 AM
Oregon, USA
Joined Dec 2007
1,812 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintstone View Post
You can set your initial Spool Up to a very High value and that might spool up the way you want. The custom value is available of 0-20 with 0 being slow and 20 being fast.

If I am using 0 at the bottom of any flight condition I always make sure that I dont try to fly very much set this way. Even in a beginner throttle curve setup I would rather use soft start at 5 and then have a curve like 30-50-60-60-60 or something like that the motor will slow down but not get into a soft start condition. I use hold for arming and going back to soft start for these setups. I hope this helps.
Thank you for your thoughts.

I don't fly at all in Normal. I just spoolup in Normal and switch into an Idleup flight mode where the heli stays until it's back on the ground. Just something about knowing the motor can be shut off at low stick until I get in the air that is comforting to me.

The build is almost complete and I plan on experimenting with the ESCs various setiings. I'm sure it will work fine for me.