HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:50 PM
Another one on the way...
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
I am currently replacing the air retracts and brakes with electric retracts and brakes as well. So really the only original part of the Yellow landing gear are the struts.
ysolomon is offline Find More Posts by ysolomon
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:54 PM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
234 Posts
Edit: I'm starting to think that the fact that since the location where the 4lb were applied moved 2" to cause the servo arm top to move 9/16" means that it was as if the 4lb were really only applied at the equivalent of 1.4" from the servo center, which would mean that the torque was really only 5.6lb-in or 90oz-in. Makes more sense.[/QUOTE]

I must be reading this wrong, the stab moved 2" by applying a 4 pound load 5" from the pivot??

You need to account for the servo arm length, and the stab arm lenght to figure this.
70 ragtop is online now Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:04 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
No... The stab didn't move 2" WHEN I applied the 4 lb of force. That would have been worrisome... What I meant is that at the point in which I applied the 4lb, 2" movement would translate into 9/16" movement at the servo arm. The reason for this translation is exactly the piece of information you were looking for--the stab arm. In this plane it will take major "surgery" to open it back up to find that number. However, if you know that 2" translated into 9/16" movement on a 3/4" arm--then it is as if the 4lb were actually applied 1.4" from the servo center. Or I could be wrong...

Either way--those 4lb felt as if they were a lot. I really felt that I was about to break the stabilator, so I stopped at 4lb. I can't imagine that there are forces stronger than that during flight, but the important part was to learn that the servo only consumed 0.5 Amp to counter that force, which means that if I "support" the Guardian with 10 Amp power bus (by connecting more power from the receiver to the AUX output of the Guardian--it should be enough... That was the reason of this whole exercise...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:28 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
Yorom, (hope i spelt it right?) You know my build is a a bit different, while I'm not in a position the to weights on the stabs yet-- -- my linkages are about in line with what you found.. I do need to cut down the length of the control arms on the shafts some, and I figure my servo horn moves about 1/2 "..
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:38 PM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
It's Yoram, but that's OK... I wouldn't cut the control arms on the shaft shorter, if you can avoid it, or your would be putting undue force/torque on them...
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:22 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
United States, MN, Hermantown
Joined Dec 2008
5,981 Posts
My apologies.

Mine aren't stock Y/A arms, mine are from SiearaGiant , and from the center of the shaft to end of arm, there 1 1/2" long. 1 7/8" overall .
To the first hole , it's 1 14" --Correction, first hole from center of shaft is 1 1/8th ", 2nd hole is 1 1/2"

Mine are more like the ones in the pic from Dreamworks... http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...5&postcount=79
CoolerByTheLake is offline Find More Posts by CoolerByTheLake
Old Dec 18, 2014, 08:15 AM
United States, CT, Oxford
Joined Jan 2009
234 Posts
[QUOTE=ysolomon;30229429]No... The stab didn't move 2" WHEN I applied the 4 lb of force. That would have been worrisome...

Yup! Figured I read it wrong
70 ragtop is online now Find More Posts by 70 ragtop
Old Dec 18, 2014, 09:39 AM
Plano, Texas
Joined Feb 2009
2,457 Posts
I do measure some slop over there, and I can trace it to the servo gear. However, I'm talking about something between 1/32 and 1/16" at the trailing edge of the stab (again, 5" from its shaft), which translates to some 1/96 slop at the servo itself. It's small...

Meanwhile, yesterday I've put washers on the ball servo connectors to make sure they never come off, and started the replacement of the air retracts with the electric ones. The Guardian should arrive soon and allow me to finish the job.

Since I don't yet have the retracts reversed yet--I will keep the landing gear down permanently until I have the new ones.