HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 03, 2002, 09:41 PM
So Much Fun So little Time
Grand Junction,CO
Joined Aug 2002
16 Posts
reno racer flight problems

Have a reno racer first two flights were bad, third flight was off the ground but very slow and draged the tail through the air. the last flight was with my 1100mah batt. out of my F-86. live at 4700 ft. elevation Will the Astro 010 brushless solve this problem and make it fly with some speed?

bill
brcat1 is offline Find More Posts by brcat1
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 03, 2002, 10:27 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
I assume that you are talking about the Wattage Reno... I live in Colorado too, near Loveland at around 5000 feet and have had no problems with the Reno's power. I have used the stock prop, a Zagi prop, and an APC 5.4X4.5 with reasonable success on all three. I have used as well the 800 5/4 nimh, N500 and 600Ae (all 8 cells) and the 600AE's are my favorite.

I would suggest finding an APC 5.4X4.4 prop and an 8 cell 600AE battery. Mine is quite fast and definately not underpowered. Shouldn't need brushles to make it go fast.

For reference, mine weighs 17 oz and that's without the gear and full house controls. Couple of standard things to look at... EPA set to full (100%) on a computer radio on the throttle channel. Prop on correctly. Batteries recently peaked. Good connectors (Deans) I don't use those Tamiya (car) plugs that the batteries come with. Good luck.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Sep 03, 2002, 10:34 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
things to check.

Look at the motor shaft w/ the GB and prop. installed if it's aligned straight.

Check you thrust line, should be straight as well, no downward thrust, a little up your good.

***third flight was off the ground but very slow and draged the tail through the air. the last flight was with my 1100mah batt.***

Check that CG.. Try hand launching it see it there is a difference
genovia is offline Find More Posts by genovia
Old Sep 03, 2002, 10:37 PM
Long Beach, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
28 Posts
Although I am sea level (roughly), I am using a Zagi 6v speed 400 in mine with a APC 5.5x4.5 Speed 400 e-prop and 8-500 NiCads or 9-1000MaH NiMH's. It is very fast (for me at least) with either of these batteries. On my first landing I tore off the landing gear even though I had reinforced them because it lands "way-hot". A little more practice should help.
Take care,
DaveA95131
DaveA95131 is offline Find More Posts by DaveA95131
Old Sep 03, 2002, 10:38 PM
Long Beach, California, United States
Joined Jan 2002
28 Posts
Genovia, uh, the Wattage P51 Reno Racer is a direct drive craft, there is no gearbox ...
DaveA95131
DaveA95131 is offline Find More Posts by DaveA95131
Old Sep 03, 2002, 10:43 PM
I'm Charged!
The end of the Oregon trail
Joined Jan 2001
1,035 Posts
Great responses guy's, I was going to suggest a CG check as well.I also fly my Reno stock, and use 500AR's.( 8 cell) This plane has sparked a lot of interest from the wet flyer's in my club. It flat flies great for an easy build $60.00 airplane. Bill , I hope you get your's dialed in cause you'll love it. I tried my 010 in my plane, then went back to the stock setup. Unless you use a 10 cell pack the stock setup flies better. Don't count out the possibility of a "flat " motor. Good luck....Jeff
megawatt is offline Find More Posts by megawatt
Old Sep 03, 2002, 11:41 PM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Re: reno racer flight problems

Quote:
Originally posted by brcat1
Have a reno racer first two flights were bad, third flight was off the ground but very slow and draged the tail through the air.

Bill -- I also live in GJ (small world!) and have the Reno Racer.
I, too, had terrible trouble getting it to fly at first.
Hand launched, it would BARELY sustain flight, just above stall speed, then I would have to dump it. Cartwheel time!

#1 - your battery is probably too heavy. Use the recommended 800mAh 8 cell NiMH. Fits perfectly, weight is just right. I tried 7 cell 600 AE's - too heavy. Flew, but obviously slower. Like a train.

#2 - dump the Tamiya connectors, if you're using them. Dean's ultra is the way to go. I was losing big time current to the Tamiya plugs. Also, use 14g motor wire, not the thin stuff. You need all power going to that motor, not heating up wire.

#3 - Get a higher pitched prop. Mine would fly so so with the stock 5x2.5, but much better with a 5.25x4.75 speed prop. This plane is very touchy about it's prop (at least at this altitude.) A 5x5 did not work too well (too much pitch, so rpms suffered), and a 6x3 worked well but pulls too many amps and will smoke a NiMH pack. (it melted the covering off mine)

#4 - Get rid of the rudder servo and the landing gear. This is a heavy plane, and at this altitude needs to be as light as possible. The rudder barely affects flight anyhow on this bird, so save the weight and skip that servo. Find some nice grass to belly land on.

#5 - I think that's it. Mine flies great now, fast and stable.

We need to get together at Canyon View and fly some!!

--Steve
eBird is offline Find More Posts by eBird
Old Sep 04, 2002, 12:14 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***Genovia, uh, the Wattage P51 Reno Racer is a direct drive craft, there is no gearbox ...***

Excuse me...LOL... DD not GB.

I made a simple way to get rid of the hassle changing batteries.

Let me some it up in few words than one:

1) Your CG is off. Double check all the time, mark if changes are changed
2) Your crashing more than your flying, check motor/Prop. center line. Thrust angle.
3) 8c 600AE's is your best choice and 480 motor is your inexpensive upgrade. And the best overall prop. is Cam folding props.

Check out my threads on the WRR.
Last edited by genovia; Sep 04, 2002 at 03:47 PM.
Old Sep 04, 2002, 12:33 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by genovia
***Genovia, uh, the Wattage P51 Reno Racer is a direct drive craft, there is no gearbox ...***

Excuse me, I do have this plane, check out my threads on the Reno Racer, I even made a simple way to get rid of the hassle changing batteries.

3) 8c 600AE's is your best choice and 480 motor is your inexpensive upgrade. And the best overall prop. is Cam folding props.
Gen -- No one said you don't have the plane, Dave just pointed out it doesn't have a GB, something you suggested may be out of whack.

I have to disagree here. Cam folding prop? Why put a sail plane prop on a heavy pattern plane that needs all the thrust it can get? Most folding props sacrifice some efficiency. After much experimenting (both with tach, amp meter, and test flying) I have found the 5.25 x 4.75 to be a good prop at this altitude (4700 ').
More diameter or pitch will draw too many amps for the 8x800 NiMH.

Don't use a 7 cell 600AE pack. Too heavy, mine barely flies with that pack (heavier than the 8x800 NiMH). Several people have mentioned success with the 8 cell 600AE's, so I guess the weight of the extra cell is overcome with the NiCd's quick power dumping ability. Mine flies fine with the 8x800 NiMH.
Old Sep 04, 2002, 01:05 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***Gen -- No one said you don't have the plane, Dave just pointed out it doesn't have a GB, something you suggested may be out of whack. ***

He probably did not know My suggestions in out of wack????? What the heck!!! What wind are you flying?

***I have to disagree here. Cam folding prop? ***

Yes! LOL.. A folding cam prop. My Dear Watson, lot's of flyer are flying them with the LG off, can you guess the first think that goes in a landing (hard and miss landing)? Front nose and prop (motor forward and prop. broken) If you like to Race this thing go with the best stuff..... the best...

***Don't use a 7 cell 600AE pack. Too heavy, mine barely flies with that pack (heavier than the 8x800 NiMH). Several people have mentioned success with the 8 cell 600AE's, so I guess the weight of the extra cell is overcome with the NiCd's quick power dumping ability. Mine flies fine with the 8x800 NiMH.***

Expand this statement for me. "Don't use 7 cell 600AE", while the rest are having fun with the 600AE's, even racing with them? 8X800NiMH from Watt-age has no name, your comparing it to the power of Nicads pull in power? It can fly with 8X800NiMH poor, very poor in picking up alt. 8c 600AE get you right up there and with ease and power, once your up, enjoy.

***Gen -- No one said you don't have the plane, Dave just pointed out it doesn't have a GB, something you suggested may be out of whack. ***

Thus I excuse myself and it's stated, aint it? Experiment and expand your imagination, it's very rewarding, if they think that 1+1 is 2 and you can come up with 1+1= 11........ I'm outta wack....

Thanks.... (check out my WRR thread, you will learn something)
Old Sep 04, 2002, 01:43 AM
Look! Up in the sky!
Grand Junction, Colorado
Joined Jul 2002
4,636 Posts
Genovia, I suggest you use a spell checker and a grammar checker before replying if you are going to be "teaching" me something. Otherwise, it loses its punch.
These are informal forums, and I am not the grammar police. Type as you like, but don't get the "gonna lern you somethin" attitude unless you'd like to "speak" like an adult.

Quote: ----------------------
"Expand this statement for me. "Don't use 7 cell 600AE", while the rest are having fun with the 600AE's, even racing with them? 8X800NiMH from Watt-age has no name, your comparing it to the power of Nicads pull in power? "
---------------------------

After figuring out what you were trying to say, here is my response:
The 7 cell 600AE pack does not have enough power for it's weight to fly the Reno well at 4700 feet. I have tried this battery twice, to no avail. Too heavy. 7 cells, A size, 600 mAh. Weighs more than 8x800 NiMH. Simple enough. As I stated, others have found success with 8 cells. NiCd's dump power faster than NiMH, and the 7 cell NiCd pack ran the motor very similarly to the 8 cell NiMH (but was heavier). That's the rule of thumb, add a cell if you switch to NiMH. I haven't tried 8 600AE's. The 8x800 NiMH work well in my set up.
The additional NiCd cell, as I stated, must overcome the extra weight with enough additional power to fly the plane well. Use 8x600AE. If you are at sea level, maybe 7 will work, they did not for me.

Quote: -------------------------
"Thus I excuse myself and it's stated, aint it? Experiment and expand your imagination, it's very rewarding, if they think that 1+1 is 2 and you can come up with 1+1= 11........ I'm outta wack....
Thanks.... (check out my WRR thread, you will learn something)"
-------------------------------

Experimenting is exactly how I came to the conclusion of best prop/battery for my flying conditions. As I stated, amp meter, tach, and flight testing.

I did not respond to your post to argue, and the "you may learn something" crap is out of line. You ain't lerning me much, you write like an 8 year old.

'nuff said about this topic
Old Sep 04, 2002, 02:30 AM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
Just riding your level of intelligence... ***I did not respond to your post to argue, and the "you may learn something" crap is out of line. You ain't lerning me much, you write like an 8 year old. *** I was dipping in your psychological, tender growing age, as well..LOL

Your experimentation's is still minute to this the hobby, but your getting there .. "Wack" as for a man, whom you say you are, you don't fuel me up, as far info's and contributions. mods or other wise. I will let me thread on this great nice aerobatic flyer speak for itself ( I sometime sound Irish..hehehe) ... At least, I have a lot to share about this airplane that you Farm boy (oops farm buyer??? Farm buyer..lol)

Man, sounds to me, that your the one in need of a whole lot of spelling work to do...HEHEHE.

***I did not respond to your post to argue, and the "you may learn something" crap is out of line. You ain't lerning me much, you write like an 8 year old. ***

LOL!!! I really got you thinking, did I not Mr. Watson, good job I asked for you to expand your statement and you did in a good detail, opinionative way, but your ways is not the best way, read other threads, and lean and take heed from the experts advice, before us ... You tickle my funny bone... (Sigh**** Your bore me, laughing 6 feet under)

Your right, this is child like, and I do apologize for warming up your brain cells

---- Stock works fine, but for a stronger less expensive motor upgrade go for a higher line 400, give 480 a shot
---- This particular Racer's body similar to that of a slimer's fuse, give the cam. prop a try + 8 c 600AE's will work in any level, air is the best..LOL sea level, it's power will compensate. Inari is tested these batt's in Nevada. Works great

---Dave,
Sorry to mess up your thread, I basically responded to Farm Boy's post, labeling as "Wack" LOL.. others aside from farm buyer suggestions. Megawatt.. Cool guy, suggested the 500AR's.( 8 cell), can make this plane glow with speed..

Farm, don't take it personal... You tickled my funny bone, and I sparked a provoking response.. Sorry man, I'm known for that. .. We will fly side to side again my friend, have faith in me to be you wing man, as I will have faith in you, when I call for your assistance, as my lead, leading me towards the right direction in flight, for variables and possibilities is limitless in this hobby....

P.S.. Spelling? Who cares, were scientist, and mathematicians...LOL (not me, I'm an English 201 drop out)LOL!!!
Last edited by genovia; Sep 04, 2002 at 02:36 AM.
Old Sep 04, 2002, 12:32 PM
Scott Stoops
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Mar 2002
8,411 Posts
Gotta agree with Farmbuyer here and say that the Prop is critical in Colorado and yes the 8X600AE's work great as well as the 8Cell NIMH's.

Geno,
I am not the best with punctuation, sentence structure, etc... but Farm's point was that your's (sentence structure, use of correct tense, etc... ) makes your posts challenging to read and appreciate. For the most part, we can understand what you're trying to say, but its a bit of work. (FWIW... the Reno does not have a gearbox and yes I too own one!).

Best wishes to brcat1, and I hope he keeps us updated on his positive progress fixing his problem with the Reno.

Scott
sukhoi26mx is offline Find More Posts by sukhoi26mx
Old Sep 04, 2002, 03:44 PM
The One....
San Jose, Ca.
Joined Jan 2002
5,813 Posts
***I am not the best with punctuation, sentence structure, etc... but Farm's point was that your's (sentence structure, use of correct tense, etc... ) makes your posts challenging to read and appreciate. For the most part, we can understand what you're trying to say, but its a bit of work. (FWIW... the Reno does not have a gearbox and yes I too own one!).

On my second post, I corrected my self, GB slip in mine, Okay!!! DD not GB

---***) makes your posts challenging to read and appreciate.***

Challenging to read, hopefully not hard to understand, I hope, funny thing, I always thought the Bible was a challenge. Words are words, brushed in tongues of color, what we paint reflects who we are. Don't paint the color of the rainbow, for it might smear in clouds of gray.. Be selective, mysterious, and yet have a sense of humor...

The Reno, does not have a GB, please refer to my second post, in this thread, and Dave thanks for the PM... Dave this is not your basic plane, this plane is fast. It's low wing would be a handful for a beginner, for it has a tendency not to correct itself.

The CM would be a good ailo. trainer, then the one, and only beauty the SwitchBack
Old Sep 05, 2002, 09:22 PM
So Much Fun So little Time
Grand Junction,CO
Joined Aug 2002
16 Posts
thanks

thanks to all who replied to my question on the reno racer.
Hey Farm Buyer sound like a great idea about Cayon View.
We'll have to get together and do that.
brcat1 is offline Find More Posts by brcat1