HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 17, 2013, 05:26 AM
United States, NY, Yonkers
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Discussion
Control Line Clubs in NewYork ?

Hi, name here is John. I used to be an avid CL builder and flyer back in the 1970's and early 80's. I quit CL soon after I started in RC back around 83 or 84 or so. These days I am into RC helicopters. I still have my old CL planes and engines in the attic. It would take a considerable amount of repair work and cleaning to make them air worthy again. It's funny, the planes seem to get more damage sitting around in storage than when they are being flown regularly. Also the old oil in the engines has gummed up and they would need some soaking and thorough cleaning.

In any event I have been toying around with the idea of maybe pulling one out of th attic one day and giving it a go for old times sake. In my younger years I would fly almost anywhere I could find a clear field. But these days neighbors probably wouldn;t take too kindly to one of these loud contraptions buzzing circles on their soccer fields. So if I do fly I would like to fly at a CL club site. Only problem is I don;t know if there are any CL clubs in the New York City / or Westchester areas. If anyone knows of of one please fill me in.

Back in the day I used to use a Jim Walker U-Reely control handle. One reasons I liked it was because I didn't have to precut my lines. I could just unwind ad much line as I needed depending on the size of the field and kind of model I was flying. Anyone know if UReely's can still be had ? Or is there a similar handle available these days ? I guess I could always track one down on ebay.
Dimateo is offline Find More Posts by Dimateo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 17, 2013, 10:58 AM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Hi John! Don't know about the clubs up there but you welcomed to come fly with us here in Titusville Florida!! And as for the U-Reely, my flying buddy loves his and Ebay was where I got mine but I guess I'm "ol' school" because I prefer the regular handle. To each his own I guess!! Good luck.
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
Last edited by propaplace; Sep 17, 2013 at 10:58 AM. Reason: mispelling
Old Sep 17, 2013, 12:41 PM
Joined Oct 2004
570 Posts
When I was a kid back in he sixties in n.y. , I few at a dedicated c/l field in Forest Park very close to the Golf Course . I believe it's still visible on Google earth .
About a moth ago , I dug out the old ureely and pull tested the lines . After over fifty years , they're still flyable . I guess you can't beat made in the u.s.a. stainless steel .
jetmaven is online now Find More Posts by jetmaven
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:43 PM
What, Me Worry?
United States, FL, Sanford
Joined Feb 2007
229 Posts
As far as the engines being gummed up, my experience has been that soaking them takes forever, and even then, doesn't always work. My recommendation is to use your monokote heat gun. Just apply the heat and hold it there. The engine will get hot, and using gloves to handle it, should be able to turn over and get lubrication. Install a prop first to give you some torque, and squirt some light oil onto the piston and in the intake so it will lubricate as you are able to turn the crankshaft.
edbu1 is offline Find More Posts by edbu1
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 18, 2013, 02:14 PM
Old Timer
USA, TX, San Antonio
Joined Jun 2010
831 Posts
The easiest engine clean-up of all uses auto engine antifreeze in a small crockpot, allowed to simmer all day, somewhere the fumes aren't a problem, and spills won't offer a temptation to pets. You also don't want to re-use the pot for anything else afterwards.

Kiwi
The Kiwi is offline Find More Posts by The Kiwi
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:30 AM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
Come Out to Flushing Meadows park this weekend. Sunday is our annual funfly. Great bunch of guys. You can make a bunch of new friends.
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:41 AM
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by propaplace View Post
Hi John! Don't know about the clubs up there but you welcomed to come fly with us here in Titusville Florida!! And as for the U-Reely, my flying buddy loves his and Ebay was where I got mine but I guess I'm "ol' school" because I prefer the regular handle. To each his own I guess!! Good luck.
Thanks for the offer. Unfortunately you guys are a bit far for me but, if I am in your area I''d be glad stop by your flying site and say hello.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:44 AM
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmaven View Post
When I was a kid back in he sixties in n.y. , I few at a dedicated c/l field in Forest Park very close to the Golf Course . I believe it's still visible on Google earth .
About a moth ago , I dug out the old ureely and pull tested the lines . After over fifty years , they're still flyable . I guess you can't beat made in the u.s.a. stainless steel .
I think I remember that field. In fact I think that is the field where, as a young child, I first saw a fuel powered model airplanes for the first time. In fact it is that very field that spawned my interest in model aircraft. As soon as I saw it I knew that this was a hobby that I had to get involved in when I got older. I was fascinated by the idea that people were building model airplanes that actually burned fuel and really could fly. The hobby captivated me for life and I have been active in it in one form or another since.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 11:46 AM
Joined May 2010
195 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bogusbob1 View Post
Come Out to Flushing Meadows park this weekend. Sunday is our annual funfly. Great bunch of guys. You can make a bunch of new friends.
Sounds good. Flushing Meadows is not too far away and I could probably get over there one of these days. Do you guys have a club website or any place I could find out more info ? What days and times of the year are best for me to visit ?
Old Sep 24, 2013, 10:24 AM
NYC
Joined Apr 2005
326 Posts
Due to weather the funfly has been moved to the first sunday in October. We have no website, but we are there almost any Saturday where the conditions are right, Most sundays,some mondays and wednesdays. Almost always in the morning, now break out one of those old planes and come fly with us. Send me a PM with your E mail and i'll foward it along and get you in on any club emails.
William
bogusbob1 is offline Find More Posts by bogusbob1