HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2014, 01:59 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportpak View Post
This is a prime example at how sketchy we all are with these chargers.
why wouldn't the charger have discontinued the cycle if it detected such huge variations in cell voltages ?

... on another note, what say the crowd about something like this to power the 4010 beast ? I charge mostly 3s and 6s packs and seem to be hitting the buck/boost problem with either one 12v or 2x series 12v server supplies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-341-00...#ht_909wt_1107
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2014, 08:24 PM
Joined Sep 2010
529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan W View Post
... on another note, what say the crowd about something like this to power the 4010 beast ? I charge mostly 3s and 6s packs and seem to be hitting the buck/boost problem with either one 12v or 2x series 12v server supplies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Cisco-341-00...#ht_909wt_1107
I use four DPS-1200FB units in series to power a 4010. That unit appears to fit the bill, provided it's stable without loads on its lower voltage outputs. 50V is right at the edge of the charger's specs.

One advantage of that unit over my multi-supply stack is there's only one PS involved, if it fails your charger will simply stop charging. If one of mine unexpectedly shuts down the charger could end up being current spiked. OTOH, the multi-unit stack is capable of greater output power, so it's less likely to be operated at full or near full output.

I usually limit my PS stack to 26A @48V to avoid overloading a 120V 15A AC outlet. That PS, if it still meets its original specs, should be able to drive a 4010 to about 900W output charging power.

Either 36V or 48V input power avoids the buck/boost issue, at least for 6S packs.
LizardMan is online now Find More Posts by LizardMan
Old Jul 29, 2014, 03:11 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Apr 2014
64 Posts
One single PS is always better (safer) than two ore more in series. These supplies are simply not made to use them in series...
I use two in series at 24V and (I think) the one where I cut the ground from the housing now produces so much rF noise, that I donīt get any radio station in my flat when the PS are under little load, like discharging internally..
xenoRC is offline Find More Posts by xenoRC
Last edited by xenoRC; Jul 29, 2014 at 03:16 AM.
Old Jul 29, 2014, 07:04 PM
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined Feb 2010
1,613 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenoRC View Post
the one where I cut the ground from the housing now produces so much rF noise, that I donīt get any radio station in my flat when the PS are under little load, like discharging internally..
Thats because you removed the ground (and thus EMI shielding) from the case.
You need to decouple the DC -ve from the AC ground, that is all.
desertstalker is offline Find More Posts by desertstalker
Old Jul 30, 2014, 02:06 AM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Apr 2014
64 Posts
I cut every dc connection to the housing, but I thought it would be better for EMI shielding to let the connection from ac over capacitors to the housing in place, was it wrong and causes the rF noise? How should I go now to reduce the noise?
Old Yesterday, 05:39 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedOctobyr View Post
If either the computer or the charger are running off a battery, and are not plugged into the wall, you are ok to use a normal USB cable.

The problem can come from *both* being grounded, and being at different ground voltages/potentials.

I'd power the charger with a LiPo during the process, if it were me. That way the charger is not grounded.
Very good advice. Wish I'd heard that 2 years ago, before mu Hyperion Duo 720i blew up the motherboard on my laptop.

On another note I kept up my search and now have 2 x 1500W 24V PS. I have the Cotek I posted on the other thread and now have the TDK Lambda coming.

I found another decent looking one on eBay but it only has a 10% up voltage adjustment. I'm not sure if 26.4V is enough to prevent the buck/boost you guys were talking about.

Cosel 24V 1.5kW 65A PSU
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Today, 01:43 AM
United States, CA, SF
Joined Mar 2012
208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
Very good advice. Wish I'd heard that 2 years ago, before mu Hyperion Duo 720i blew up the motherboard on my laptop.
No bashing of Hyperion, FMA, or Thunder Power in this thread: you might start to make the iCharger look good !

-=dave
tungsten2k is offline Find More Posts by tungsten2k
Old Today, 06:33 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta Capital Region, Djakarta
Joined Apr 2007
405 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungsten2k View Post
No bashing of Hyperion, FMA, or Thunder Power in this thread: you might start to make the iCharger look good !

-=dave
The Powerlab is ok with both connected to ground while updating firmware I think the ground on the adapter is isolated.
rizky_p is online now Find More Posts by rizky_p
Old Today, 02:42 PM
Germany, HE, Frankfurt
Joined Apr 2014
64 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty10 View Post
I found another decent looking one on eBay but it only has a 10% up voltage adjustment. I'm not sure if 26.4V is enough to prevent the buck/boost you guys were talking about.
How much people really had an issue with this buckboost-same-voltage-stuff? Does the charger instantly blow up when this happens, or is it only a problem of 0.0001% of the people who always charge at maximum current? Or is it already fixed with an update maybe? I donīt really know whats going on with this

I always use a lipo to power the junsi when updating. Simple and protective.
Old Today, 03:32 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
3,607 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tungsten2k View Post

-=dave
I'm not really bashing the charger. It's actually a very good charger, not an iCharger now but still very good one. I am bashing the idiot engineer that designed the USB interface.
Liberty10 is online now Find More Posts by Liberty10