HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by valiantGLX, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:07 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Yep. Delete away
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:40 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasAggie View Post
I don't believe I said you could put the paper towels in a glass...
You didn't say that it was not allowed either. The challenge simply states to land on an unwrapped roll of paper towels, which I completed with style

@ everyone:

To avoid similar disputes in the future please clarify in the initial challenge what exactly you want to see in order to secure a win. I also believe the revised rules should prevent such a thing happening again

And.. remember I am open to suggestions on bettering this thread, just about every suggestion so far has been incorperated into this thread
valiantGLX is offline Find More Posts by valiantGLX
Old Aug 28, 2012, 01:46 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
8,934 Posts
Its not that I said anything important in my first post ... considering every challenge only has a "shelf life" that can be measured in hours, thinking about a deadline is moot ... who would complete "outdated" challenges anyway, right?? ... 'cause they are sooooooo yesterday ...
so I agree with whichwaysup ... delete away ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 28, 2012, 03:55 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by valiantGLX View Post
To avoid similar disputes in the future please clarify in the initial challenge what exactly you want to see in order to secure a win. I also believe the revised rules should prevent such a thing happening again
:
I think the revised rules will help, but making a challenge easier so it's not a.....umm, what's the word? Never mind.

Does it really need a list of don'ts? Hmmm...
No picking up the plane/quad/heli and carrying it around the room making "Bzzzz" noises?
No hanging it from bits of string and saying "I know you can't see the props moving, it's just an illusion caused by my weird camera and the lighting"

Keep it classy.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:16 PM
Addict.
United States, NY, Binghamton
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Personally I like a lack of rules... there's no prizes or anything like that so who really cares. It is all just for fun and showing off our skills, I wish I could participate but none of the challenges suit my setup with my non fpv onboard cam unfortunately.
skitchen8 is offline Find More Posts by skitchen8
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:23 PM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,632 Posts
You don't need to actually "fly FPV", just record. I've managed to unearth one a numbe of AWOL 808 keychain cameras I have.
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Aug 28, 2012, 04:27 PM
Fly low or fly home.
United States, PA, Dover
Joined Aug 2011
5,601 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitchen8 View Post
Personally I like a lack of rules... there's no prizes or anything like that so who really cares. It is all just for fun and showing off our skills, I wish I could participate but none of the challenges suit my setup with my non fpv onboard cam unfortunately.
Ding ding ding! These are not competitions, these are challenges to challange yourself. If this hobby is not just for fun then I must be in the wrong hobby.
skarface is offline Find More Posts by skarface
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:10 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
I think the revised rules will help, but making a challenge easier so it's not a.....umm, what's the word? Never mind.

Does it really need a list of don'ts? Hmmm...
No picking up the plane/quad/heli and carrying it around the room making "Bzzzz" noises?
No hanging it from bits of string and saying "I know you can't see the props moving, it's just an illusion caused by my weird camera and the lighting"

Keep it classy.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface View Post
Ding ding ding! These are not competitions, these are challenges to challange yourself. If this hobby is not just for fun then I must be in the wrong hobby.
Summed up nicely Now lets keep the videos flowing
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:18 PM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
You don't need to actually "fly FPV", just record. I've managed to unearth one a numbe of AWOL 808 keychain cameras I have.
The problem is that I have bad vision, flying the fastest speed I can get this thing to go it is too far away to see in 5 seconds, and 5 seconds of chasing traffic isn't really in the spirit of the challenge. I would much rather do the normal quad challenges but have been told that my setup would be ineligible.

I still have fun watching others complete these challenges though, and I set up personal challenges for myself
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:22 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
As djdavies83 said.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdavies83 View Post
So skitchen8, charge up your gear, step out to your front yard, take off while your quad is facing you, then try to capture a vehicle driving past for a second or 2, then post it to show off your skills/complete the challenge/enter the hall of fame. Its really that easy

I have a stripped down key chain cam, but the only things that can carry it is my S300 or my p51, but its been too windy in Berlin over the past days for either one of them. The point is I plan on doing some FPV challenges with a 7 dollar keychain cam.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 05:27 PM
Master of Micro Modding
Australia, SA, Burra
Joined Sep 2011
2,500 Posts
Quote:
The problem is that I have bad vision, flying the fastest speed I can get this thing to go it is too far away to see in 5 seconds, and 5 seconds of chasing traffic isn't really in the spirit of the challenge. I would much rather do the normal quad challenges but have been told that my setup would be ineligible.

I still have fun watching others complete these challenges though, and I set up personal challenges for myself
I believe the challenge isn't 5 seconds, its actually just as long as you can. Also I think it is perfectly acceptable to complete the other quad challenges with a key chain cam too
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:20 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
United States, VA, Roanoke
Joined Apr 2012
2,647 Posts
Okay - I'm going dangerously off topic, but need a little help so I can play too.

I need a cheap, simple, and effective (keychain?) cam. Any recommendations? What does one cost? I don't plan to do any FPV or on-board recording, but wouldn't mind something I could hook up to bill of a ball cap. THoughts?
whichwaysup is offline Find More Posts by whichwaysup
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Clever sayings
Old Aug 29, 2012, 09:30 AM
Addict.
Joined Jul 2010
1,543 Posts
Well the #16 is great, but costs $40. The #3 is not terrible and can be had for closer to $10.
Old Aug 29, 2012, 11:05 AM
We can rebuild it!
United Kingdom, Wales, Swffryd
Joined Apr 2010
3,632 Posts
808 "IN" a baseball cap headcam.

Keycam Pocket cap how to make a hatcam (6 min 34 sec)
djdavies83 is offline Find More Posts by djdavies83
Old Aug 29, 2012, 12:17 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,755 Posts
the hobbyking 808 camera is pretty decent. just make sure you got a SD card that can write at fatser that 4mb/second. transfer the video to a computer before watching, the usb 1.1 can not keep up the data tranfer rate.

the video format is not easy on the computer, either. my acer netbook can not play at full resolution. and any vibration will show up as a 'wavy' video.

but on the birght side, it will give you 'kodachrome' look video at 8 dollars
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull