Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:13 AM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,089 Posts
cant decide over the Turnigy 3536/8 or the TH 100g motor....any thoughts? Seems the TH motor is rated higher amps? 30 v 45A
uptime4downtime is online now Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:44 AM
Team Twisted!
United States, CO, Denver
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick662u View Post
cant decide over the Turnigy 3536/8 or the TH 100g motor....any thoughts? Seems the TH motor is rated higher amps? 30 v 45A
I don't have any experience with the Turnigy motor you mention, but do have the 100g TH motor in my ExtraVaganza, it works well in these larger airframes.
cdee
cdee is offline Find More Posts by cdee
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:42 PM
United States, TX, Portland
Joined Apr 2008
248 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenelder View Post
Hey Toolman18, GREAT knife edge spins!!! Glad Gravity introduced you to the Sbach.

For those that haven't seen it, the Sbach will really wrap up great, more like a larger plane than a foamy. I've got quite a few foamies and none of them do it as well as this one!
Thanks Ken. I'm not able to get the 20 ft tail slides like you did but I am working on it.
toolman18 is offline Find More Posts by toolman18
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,089 Posts
More decisions... almost done! The choice for me is between the Extra 48" from Telink, or this? Any thoughts? It would appear the Extra is perhaps more balsa like, while the Sbach is a little lighter in feel? I know some of you have both. Thanks Rick
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:58 PM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
More decisions... almost done! The choice for me is between the Extra 48" from Telink, or this? Any thoughts? It would appear the Extra is perhaps more balsa like, while the Sbach is a little lighter in feel? I know some of you have both. Thanks Rick
I have been flying both on a pretty regular basis the past couple weeks. I would agree the 330 is more balsa like and not floatie, the Sbach has a bigger presents in the air and can be slowed down and flown "softer" in high alpha.
cdee
Old Oct 11, 2012, 03:47 PM
Gravity gets me down.
USA, FL, Brooksville
Joined Jan 2008
1,388 Posts
Not having ever flown a balsa plane, can anyone describe what is meant by a "more balsa feeling"?

I too am considering 330 or this one and maybe having this understanding will help a little in the decision.

I am assuming a "balsa feeling" is a good thing - maybe more precise - just not sure.

Thanks
Bob
helicow is offline Find More Posts by helicow
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:07 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,089 Posts
Yes, probably that. More precise, probably more intertia type feel in tumbles, blenders to flat spins etc, and not so floaty I guess. I recall my little 3dHS 41 edge having a super fast roll rate, and extreme performance in spins, blenders, etc etc. My foamies are not quite the same. However, I have not flown any of the 48"sbach or 48" extra. I too am trying to decide. Both would be a good option. I already have a 48 skywing, which is very much different moves that benefit from the added inertia and it does quite impressive blenders, KE spins, etc due to this. Makes a very nice noise in doing so also!
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:29 PM
3d Kiwi
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,089 Posts
Pulled the trigger. Purchased this model with some CF servo arms. I will see how I go on the motor, and will either purchase the Turnigy or the TH 100g motor.

Decision made due to liking a little more float, and will add the Extra maybe later on. My only other plane in mind would be another small balsa for the crazy action moments - probably the little 42 AJ Slick, but out of stock for a while. Then, the hangar is full. Already have a Crack Pitts, a backup Crack Yak, and a Telink Yak to build over summer, and now the sbach. That's enough for one person, surely!!!
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by uptime4downtime; Oct 11, 2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 07:57 AM
Team Twisted!
Joined Jun 2011
1,688 Posts
Quote:
Pulled the trigger. Purchased this model with some CF servo arms. I will see how I go on the motor, and will either purchase the Turnigy or the TH 100g motor.

Decision made due to liking a little more float, and will add the Extra maybe later on. My only other plane in mind would be another small balsa for the crazy action moments - probably the little 42 AJ Slick, but out of stock for a while. Then, the hangar is full. Already have a Crack Pitts, a backup Crack Yak, and a Telink Yak to build over summer, and now the sbach. That's enough for one person, surely!!!
nope... you can never have too many...
cdee
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:16 AM
Sparta,WI,USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,542 Posts
After wearing out the air here in Wisconsin with my TH Pitts I am starting to enjoy slower manuvers. That is the reason a little truck will be stopping by today with my new SBach from TH. My crack yak will spin til it becomes a blur...fun at first but honestly unrealistic.
With the Pitts I learned to slow things down, fly lower and really enjoyed it.

Now, the weather is rapicly changing here. Hope I can get the SBach togerather fast enough to get some stick time in berore it gets nasty. Think it is a little to big for the "indoor" season.

RonJ
RonJ is offline Find More Posts by RonJ
Old Oct 17, 2012, 04:55 AM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Wanna say hi :)

First post on here. Flying helis for 15 years, flying my friends planes very sparingly and randomly for 15 years, but bought my first plane of my own which is of course this one, the 48" RCF Sbach. Coming on Friday and I'm looking forward to it.

One thing I would like to know for now, what is the distance measurement for the carbon servo arm extensions (from servo horn screw hole to control ball hole)? I read pretty much every post in the thread (hours of reading) and thought I saw the distance of 1" somewhere. I thought paying $13 for those few arms was quite expensive for what I would be getting and I already have spare carbon material lying around from broken parts on my helis so its very easy for me to make them.

As all my reading has taken me, I am decided I'm just going to build exactly as RCF recommends for everything and take my time. I want to build this plane trick clean and as light/yet strong as possible. I hope to make it almost too light as I can always add weight, but harder to take off if build from the get go too heavy.

I want to lay the servos over to have them flush with the wing and then will white paint the case so it blends in, the black case from the picture just look a eyesore to me that my obsessive compulsive in me lol.

I got the 78 gram motor TH recommends and the 45 amp esc and am going to be running 2200mah and 1800mah packs. My flying is going to be more so along the lines of patterns/big air with learning 3D moves as I've never really owned a plane of my own to sit there and try things over and over.

Well just thought I'd stop by and say hi. Hopefully my build will go smoothly, from all the talk, it seems like RCF is a good kit and going to be pretty easy to build. Well, again, Hi and take care
LVknockabout is offline Find More Posts by LVknockabout
Old Oct 17, 2012, 06:52 AM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVknockabout View Post
One thing I would like to know for now, what is the distance measurement for the carbon servo arm extensions (from servo horn screw hole to control ball hole)? I read pretty much every post in the thread (hours of reading) and thought I saw the distance of 1" somewhere. I thought paying $13 for those few arms was quite expensive for what I would be getting and I already have spare carbon material lying around from broken parts on my helis so its very easy for me to make them.
1" center to center (servo screw to link) is the magic number.

The arms are worth it for 99% of us. If you have the time, skills and materials then it makes sense to make your own.

Enjoy your new plane!

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:45 PM
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Oct 2012
8 Posts
Thanks for the reply JC Spohr! You're post throughout this thread has been very invaluable and informative, thank you. It's very nice to have dedicated and greatly experienced RCF Sbach users at such a disposal! I will get started on the carbon arms in a little bit, should only take about 15 mins per arm to produce.

The weather here in Vegas is simply prime this time of year and can't wait to enjoy the RCF Sbach.
LVknockabout is offline Find More Posts by LVknockabout
Old Oct 17, 2012, 02:08 PM
3D Hack
United States, IL, Glen Carbon
Joined Jul 2010
1,862 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVknockabout View Post
Thanks for the reply JC Spohr! You're post throughout this thread has been very invaluable and informative, thank you. It's very nice to have dedicated and greatly experienced RCF Sbach users at such a disposal! I will get started on the carbon arms in a little bit, should only take about 15 mins per arm to produce.

The weather here in Vegas is simply prime this time of year and can't wait to enjoy the RCF Sbach.
I love mine! It is my go to outdoor 3D foamie.

JC
JC Spohr is offline Find More Posts by JC Spohr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: About Me
Old Oct 19, 2012, 10:28 AM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,030 Posts
Well I maidened mine today and put five 1800 packs through it.

Specs are:-

AXI 2814/16 (106gm) with 11 x 5.5E & 12 x 3.8SF props
Jeti Advance 40 Pro SB ESC
Nano Tech 1800 3s lipo
4 Savox SH0255 metal gear digital servos (16gm)

It weighs in at a whopping 800gms and my C of G is at 105mm from the LE.
I can confirm that it does fly more like balsa although I'm not sure if that is simply due to the fact that it flies a lot faster than my Telinks, most likely due to the weight. I chose to replace the Kevlar thread for the rudder control with nylon covered fishing trace, as I am aware from previous RC Factory models I have had, that the stuff they provide goes slack in our damp UK weather. It was damp today, in fact raining some of the time I was flying and no such problem with the fishing trace.
On balance, I think I prefer the 12 x 3.8SF prop, it certainly hovers more easily with this as opposed to the 11 x 5.5E.

My verdict, better than the Telinks in some respects, it is very positive and accurate, but worse in others, too heavy for a foamie for my liking. It doesn't feel as 'locked-in' in knife edge as my Extra Slick and it drops its nose quite sharply on a rudder only turn, whereas the Slick will do this level.
One of my favourite manoeuvres with the Telinks is a 'death slide' (steep KE descent with little power) and they do this with confidence. The SBach on the other hand has this really weird trait of losing direction when slowed right down in KE and ultimately flipping inverted despite my bet efforts to stop it.
Not too impressed with the U/C either, it deflects way too much for my liking on landing. With the 12" prop on, it can touch the ground.

So, mixed feelings to be honest.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart