HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:27 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
407 Posts
I will see what I can manage to post this evening. Going flying now.

-Randy
Westranm is online now Find More Posts by Westranm
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:10 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
DX18 Update issue

Hi All,

I have just downloaded the DX18 update to remove the annoying register your product nag.

I have two issues to report. 1 Minor, 1 really major.

1. The update instructions say to click "Download" however the button to click actually says "Updates".

2. How long should it take for the update to apply to my DX18?
I downloaded the .sax update file to the SD Card, inserted the card into the DX18
Started the DX18, and it displayed a progress bar which ran all the way through in about 2 seconds.
Then it started the Progress bar again and progressed all the way through to about 99% and has sat there on that screen for over 30 minutes.

At this point obviously I became suspicous.
I turned the transmitter off regardless of the warning, tried the update again. Same behaviour.
Tried removing the SD Card and starting the transmitter.....Doesn't start, simply cycles through the start up screen continuously.

Ultimately, I now have an un-useable transmitter that cost me near $900 AUD, and have not even got to use it yet.

Very disappointing experience.
adrian.bear is offline Find More Posts by adrian.bear
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:13 PM
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
DX18 RX Question: Can this 9020 RX i got with my dx18 work without the 2 satellites? i cant get it to work. If i have one or both sat disconnected the rx gives a solid connected light when the tx is on, but nothing moves. I have tried binding without any sat connected and still nothing. i have tried all the different combos of the 2 sats in the 3 sat port.

I am asking because its going in a sailplane and there is NOT alot of room in there and i cant really extend out the sats. the rx and the sats would have to be all clumped up in the front.

i have read the rx manual... nothing about running without sats connected. seems to me of there is a RX in the main body i dont need the 2 sats.
R/
ltdorn1 is offline Find More Posts by ltdorn1
Last edited by ltdorn1; Jun 30, 2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:16 PM
Stop scaring my donkey!
Greenland
Joined Mar 2012
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.bear View Post
Hi All,

I have just downloaded the DX18 update to remove the annoying register your product nag.

I have two issues to report. 1 Minor, 1 really major.

1. The update instructions say to click "Download" however the button to click actually says "Updates".

I downloaded the .sax update file to the SD Card, inserted the card into the DX18
Started the DX18, and it displayed a progress bar which ran all the way through in about 2 seconds.
Then it started the Progress bar again and progressed all the way through to about 99% and has sat there on that screen for over 30 minutes.

At this point obviously I became suspicous.
I turned the transmitter off regardless of the warning, tried the update again. Same behaviour.
Tried removing the SD Card and starting the transmitter.....Doesn't start, simply cycles through the start up screen continuously.

Ultimately, I now have an un-useable transmitter that cost me near $900 AUD, and have not even got to use it yet.

Very disappointing experience.
That is really tragic-I'm sorry.
JohnathanSwift is offline Find More Posts by JohnathanSwift
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:45 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltdorn1 View Post
i have read the rx manual... nothing about running without sats connected. seems to me of there is a RX in the main body i dont need the 2 sats.
R/
You need the remote receivers. We make sailplane-specific receivers like the AR6255 that are intended for close quarters.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2012, 06:48 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,517 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.bear View Post
About 30 seconds.

There are two scenarios where I have seen this happen.

1) The file was not completely written to the SD card. This is easy to correct. After you copy the file to the card, right-click on the SD card and select "Eject" then wait a couple seconds. This gives the OS time to write the rest of the file to the card.

2) The SD card has some sort of flaw. This is easy to fix, too, and you even have two options:

a) Format the SD card, then go to step (1) above.

b) Use a different SD card (see step (1) above). The DX18 will accept anything from an ancient MMC card to a 32g SDHC.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 30, 2012, 11:07 PM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,197 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You need the remote receivers. We make sailplane-specific receivers like the AR6255 that are intended for close quarters.

Andy
I noticed that with the included Rx. Was trying to play with some programming by just hooking up the Rx. Will not work without at least two sat Rx's hooked up.
davidmc36 is offline Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:48 AM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
407 Posts
Screen Glitch Videos

For those of you who requested for a photo/video of the screen glitches I am seeing on my DX18, two examples I shot with my phone are contained in the attached ZIP.

The Servo Setup screen shows the glitches the best given that it has lots of horizontal lines. When looking at the Main Screen video, the glitches are easiest to see in flight mode (Aggressive) and the model name.

I would appreciate it if other DX18 owners would check for this issue. I know of only two others that have reported it on RCGroups. I would be especially grateful if someone who doesn't think they have this issue would post an equivalent video of the Servo Setup screen.

Thanks! -Randy
Westranm is online now Find More Posts by Westranm
Last edited by Westranm; Jul 01, 2012 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Hadn't specified where I heard others report this issue.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 04:44 AM
Joined Nov 2008
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
About 30 seconds.

There are two scenarios where I have seen this happen.

1) The file was not completely written to the SD card. This is easy to correct. After you copy the file to the card, right-click on the SD card and select "Eject" then wait a couple seconds. This gives the OS time to write the rest of the file to the card.

2) The SD card has some sort of flaw. This is easy to fix, too, and you even have two options:

a) Format the SD card, then go to step (1) above.

b) Use a different SD card (see step (1) above). The DX18 will accept anything from an ancient MMC card to a 32g SDHC.

Andy
FWIW the SD Card supplied with my DX8 was faulty and on attempting the update to V2.04 would continually loop.

I tried formatting the card... no luck... tried downloading the file from a different PC... no luck.

Utilizing a different SD card however solved the problem.

Cheers,
AP
powella is offline Find More Posts by powella
Last edited by powella; Jul 01, 2012 at 04:46 AM. Reason: clarification on steps tried.
Old Jul 01, 2012, 05:09 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2 Posts
Thanks for the ideas Andy, but none have worked.
I have tried 3 different SD Cards, de-registering and re-registering my product.
I have also tried a different computer
I have also tried creating a whole new account with a differrent email address.
All result in the same behaviour.

Any other ideas?
adrian.bear is offline Find More Posts by adrian.bear
Old Jul 01, 2012, 06:31 AM
Certified Propellerhead
Copenhagen, Denmark
Joined Mar 2001
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post
The Servo Setup screen shows the glitches the best given that it has lots of horizontal lines. When looking at the Main Screen video, the glitches are easiest to see in flight mode (Aggressive) and the model name.
Wow. That does look quite bad. It seems you have both vertical and horizontal pixelshifts. I've just checked my own DX18, and it only show infrequent horizontal shifts on the monitor screen. Nowhere as bad as yours. However, my battery is at 7.7V, so it may become worse as the battery discharges further.
Mikael Pedersen is offline Find More Posts by Mikael Pedersen
Old Jul 01, 2012, 09:50 AM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
867 Posts
I am also experiencing this but not as bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westranm View Post

I would appreciate it if other DX18 owners would check for this issue. I know of only two others that have reported it on RCGroups. I would be especially grateful if someone who doesn't think they have this issue would post an equivalent video of the Servo Setup screen.

Thanks! -Randy
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Old Jul 01, 2012, 10:01 AM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Perhaps a Poll would be useful.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:37 PM
United States, AZ, Sierra Vista
Joined Dec 2007
14 Posts
Quote:
DX18 RX Question: Can this 9020 RX i got with my dx18 work without the 2 satellites? i cant get it to work. If i have one or both sat disconnected the rx gives a solid connected light when the tx is on, but nothing moves. I have tried binding without any sat connected and still nothing. i have tried all the different combos of the 2 sats in the 3 sat port.

I am asking because its going in a sailplane and there is NOT alot of room in there and i cant really extend out the sats. the rx and the sats would have to be all clumped up in the front.

R/
Sorry i am coming from futaba were the rx are nice and compact.
I thought the beauty of the spectrum system was that there were independent Rx's, (Main and the sats). it would be nice if the documentation actually said this Rx is useless without the 1,2, or 3 sats attached.
Learning curve for me. I fly both now.
ltdorn1 is offline Find More Posts by ltdorn1
Old Jul 01, 2012, 12:59 PM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:

R/
weird case.. it should work without the sats.
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon