Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jun 26, 2009, 03:49 AM
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
Discussion
Help

hey, i just bought a used trainer. and need help.
i need to know proper way to start my engine.
and how to turn it off properly. is a starter necessary?
also, te plane came with a plastic prop. many tell me that i should replace it with a wood prop. but that means i have to balance it.right?
how is that done.?? iam eager to fly but still need the basics and fix minor
issues on the plane. please help me.

thank you
tobyedge23 is offline Find More Posts by tobyedge23
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 26, 2009, 08:25 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Southwest Mississippi, USA
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
to start:

Fill the tank. Prime the engine (open throttle - put finger over exhaust outlet or carb opening and turn prop (CCW from front) until fuel draws in to the carb - close throttle to idle setting and turn over a two or three more time). Clip glow driver to glow plug. Use a chicken stick or elect starter and start engine (throttle should be opened roughly 1/3 to start). Get engine running and smoothly and remove glow driver.

Also, make sure plane is secured when you do this - a spike driven in the ground with a length of thick sting/thin rope looped over the tail and spike works good. There's a "sticky" at the top of the engine forum to help you with tuning the engine. What engine is it?

Turning off:
Set the trim on you radio for your throttle servo in conjunction with your throttle linkage so that when the trim is all the way down, the throttle is totally closed - when trim tab on radio is slid all the way down, the engine will die - you also adjust your idle with this tab. When you're ready to turn the engine off just slide the tab down.

Electric starter:

Not necessary but when a beginner it is sure nice. Some people never use oneYou more or less get a feel for hand starting as you get used to it. You don't have the feel when you first start and may get frustrated - especially on getting the prime right. A starter will make the engine prime it self by spinning over and over. I can live without my starter now, but I liked it when I was a beginner and use it now when I'm lazy or having tuning issues. Again, nice but not necessary.

Prop/balance.

The weight difference between a wood prop and a plastic one is not significant enough to appreciably change the cg of the plane. I like the plastic props because they are more durable but others prefer the wood ones. You still need to check your cg before your fly.

Get an instructer to teach you to fly. I'm assuming you don't already know how to.
rodneygt is online now Find More Posts by rodneygt
Old Jun 26, 2009, 09:17 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,161 Posts
Stop right there......if you have never done RC aircraft...get on down to the local flying field and ask your questions there where you can be shown...props will, and do, cut through the bone...I know mine was long ways at the tip....besides you want to hook up with an instructor any way
jetmech05 is offline Find More Posts by jetmech05
Old Jun 26, 2009, 05:35 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
Join the AMA, join a local AMA affiliated club, and get a qualified instructor. You do NOT want to hurt either yourself, or others, either personal or property ! ! !

R/C flying is NOT to be taken lightly. There is a fairly steep learning curve involved, and a lot of safety and other issues which need to be taught and learned. You cannot do it on your own. And if I am wrong on that statement, it would only be because you are a very unusual case.

Good luck, and find that local flying club ! Jim S.
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:04 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobyedge23
right now im just having trouble learning how to trim it so that when i slide the tab down the engine shuts off.
any tips??
Toby,

My response was too long for a pm so I cut and pasted it here.

The answer depends some on how your throttle servo is connected to the throttle arm of your engine. I'm by no means an expert but I have four fuel planes and a couple of additional engines. Anyway, I'll give it a shot.

The way that my throttle servos are set up follows: The servo is mounted in the fuselage with a control arm on it. Mounted to one of the control arm is one of these (or similar but different brand): http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXD929&P=7 . Then there is a straight wire going from that ez connector to the throttle arm on the carb. Mine are either connected to the throttle arm with a Z-bend in the wire or a clevis or some use a ball joint. If you don't use the ez connector it's just more of a pain in the butt to adjust.

Here's the physical things can you adjust in your throttle linkage: 1) loosen the screw on the ez connector and change the length of the linkage - this is the main adjustment, 2) move the servo arm to different positions on the servo by unscrewing it, picking it up off of the servo and moving it forward or backwards (axially), 3) the throttle arm on the carb can be loosened and moved like the servo arm, 4) if you're using a clevis to connect the rod to the throttle arm, you can tighten of loosen the clevis to shorten/lengthen the rod some, 5) where you connect the rod/ez connector to the throttle servo arm and where you connect to the throttle arm can also be adjusted - further out on servo arm = more movement, further out on the throttle arm = less movement - and vice versa, and 6) if you don't use an ez connector you can cut and rebend the wire but that's a real pain

First, I have the throttle servo set so that when the servo is at the end of its travel (thrott stick on radio pushed all way forward) that the servo arm is just at the end of it's arc. In other words turn on your plane's rx and your tx. Then, push the throttle all the way forward (trim tab in middle). Make sure that the servo arm is pointed to the engine without it going toward the engine and then coming back. If not, unscrew the screw and move the servo arm on the splines until it is at that position. If this isn't how you set it up, it will go to wide open before you get the stick all the way forward and start revving down when the stick is all the way forward. This will have be reversed with some engines; e.g., some four strokes.

I don't know what radio you have. Some computer radios have sub-trims etc. I'm going to assume that you have a basic radio with just a trim tab by the throttle.

Next, turn on radio and plane. Set throttle trim to middle position. What you want to see with the radio set in this manner is with the throttle all the way off, a small slit open in the carb (this is idle) . With the throttle stick pushed all the way forward the carb should open all the way (literally wide open throttle - WOT). With the stick pulled back to idle, you should see that little slit again. Slide the trim tab down and it should totally close the slit in the carb, which would kill the engine if running.

The reason the trim lever needs to be set in the middle initially is because you'll need a little space on each side for adjusting idle. In practice, you may wind up with your idle being a bit above or below the mid point.

You're going to have to adjust the linkage with the methods I mentioned above to get it set up right. Those ez connectors are really helpful on setting up the throttle. Otherwise, you're going to have to adjust in the other areas and maybe cut and rebind the wire itself.

I know it sounds complicated but once you fiddle with it a bit, you'll get it. It's really not that difficult.

What engine and radio do you have?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:36 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,161 Posts
rodneygt...where did you get that quote from tobyedge23? it is not in post 1, and he has not responed since.
I feel he would be better served to get with someone that know airplanes and can show him what to do...than chance getting hurt trying to start his engine...we all know expeirenced guys that have gotten bit
Old Jun 27, 2009, 08:30 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetmech05
rodneygt...where did you get that quote from tobyedge23? it is not in post 1, and he has not responed since.
I feel he would be better served to get with someone that know airplanes and can show him what to do...than chance getting hurt trying to start his engine...we all know expeirenced guys that have gotten bit

Thought it would be clear from my first sentence that I was responding to a pm with a response that wouldn't fit in a pm. But, I see now that it was not. Sorry. The quote was a small part of a pm I received.

He has flown some before but his brother who is apparently not around did all of the set up etc. I think he needs to seek assistance too and encouraged him to seek same. I understand your concern about his/others safety and it is a good concern.

But, this is a beginner forum. And our answers can't always be: "Join AMA, go to a club and ask them." Otherwise, we could just close this forum and put a big sticky in it's place that says the preceding. If that was the only response I got when I started, I never would have learned to fly.

He can take the information in this thread, cogitate on it, set his plane up and when he does go to an instructor, be better prepared because of it.
Old Jun 27, 2009, 09:33 AM
Deletedfor proving Nauga wrong
Joined Mar 2005
15,855 Posts
Best is to get in-person guidance on safely operating the engine.

Whether that means finding an AMA club or not is another issue.... (and may not apply since the OP didn't specify his location and my not be in the US)

Plastic props are OK.... if they are not the VERY OLD Top-Flite white nylon or similar. If its a Top Flite white nylon prop don't even think of starting the engine using that prop. These props get brittle with age and have not been made in many years. I can guarantee that any that are still out there are dangerous to use.

Tornado also made white and yellow nylon props... and old ones would be dangerous. This brand is back in production with a new formula white nylon that does not get brittle, so I can't guarantee that its a bad prop... If its still good you can bend the blades almost till the tips touch each other.

Master Airscrew black nylon props are fine. Not the most efficient prop made but there is nothing wrong with them.

APC grey props are also OK. They are generally more efficient than wood or other plastic props.

So... chances are good that the plastic prop on your plane is OK if its not white.

If you can't get help learning to operate the engine you need an electric starter.

Remember that most accidents where people get thier fingers in a prop occur while the engine is running. Keep your hand WELL clear of the prop arc when taking off the glow ignotor or tuning the engine. Avoid reaching over the prop.
fhhuber506771 is offline Find More Posts by fhhuber506771
Old Jun 27, 2009, 02:11 PM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,161 Posts
rodney...you have a good point...I didn't think of it that way.....
I was just thinking of my scars...from my less than brillant moment.....
with that said I'll amend..my previous answer...If there is a club near, go there and seek help.
DO NOT start your airplane alone get someone to hold for you....
be careful and have fun doing as rodney says
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:39 PM
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
i live in the los angeles area. went to the field. and found out it was
a private rc field. then went to another, to find out i needed a membership.

still trying to tune my engine. wen i turn it on. it gushes fuel through the
exhaust. any tips help>>??
Old Jun 27, 2009, 07:55 PM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
What engine do you have?

Does it start at all?
Old Jun 27, 2009, 08:05 PM
Hagerstown, MD
Joined Jan 2008
692 Posts
I don't think we can do better, than to refer him to this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205602

Good luck ! Jim S.
jim_ag3y is offline Find More Posts by jim_ag3y
Old Jun 28, 2009, 02:10 AM
Joined Jun 2009
7 Posts
i have an OS 40.
it does start. but spitz alot of fuel, and then turns off.
Old Jun 28, 2009, 06:14 AM
Jacksonville Fla.
Joined Mar 2007
2,161 Posts
most RC clubs are private....and most RC clubs won't let you fly there, unless its an intro flight, unless you're a member of the AMA......insurance purposes....but someone should have explained that to you...If you would have come to our field I would have shown you a little on how to start, then explained to you about the AMA requirement.....our field's land is owned by the city, the city requires AMA membership as we are a AMA charter club, the club requires AMA membership...AMA membership required is pretty common
You are what we call an outlaw flyer (no AMA insurance) I can kinda understand someones reluctance to help you out in this lawsuit happy country
Old Jun 28, 2009, 07:03 AM
Registered User Wannabe
Joined Jan 2008
1,529 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_ag3y
I don't think we can do better, than to refer him to this thread:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205602

Good luck ! Jim S.
That's really good but doesn't that thread have you starting your engine really rich - almost to the point where it won't run - at 4 turns out?

By comparison, my os 46 fx is tuned at a little over 1 turn out (gotta double check that one) and my tt pro 46 is set right at two turns out.