Old Jun 01, 2010, 05:52 AM
speedfreek
Newcastle, Australia
Joined Apr 2003
3,208 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbello View Post
Waz,
I went there to have a look today. Wow, it certainly looks promising! Which direction would you DS there? It looks to my inexperienced eye that it could be ok in either Southerlies or NE winds. A bit turbulent launching over the trees into a southerly though! It was blowing 20 - 25 knots S when I was there today. No walkers, and I agree, I don't think you would encounter any, or very few. So close to Coffs, yet secluded.
The NE facing cliff might be good for front side foamie flying too.
What sort of plane do you think would be good to start DS flying with?

Jim.
Hey Jim,

Yeah, it does look good. I reckon that the N to NNE winds would work best from recollection (probably S as well), but have a look on google earth and sus out which wind direction hits the front slope face on.

The northern side face has a fairly good landing zone so I think you could fly crunchies there without too many problems.

If you want to start DSing, get a Windrider Bee or Bat (the Bat is better) and make it stiff with a decent spar system and go practice. The reason I suggest Windrider planes is that they take a lot of punishment and are very cheap. The Scorpion from Off The Edge Sailplanes is also a great buy, and better suited to DS than the Bee. Just my opinion.

Waz
alkoo is offline Find More Posts by alkoo
Last edited by alkoo; Jun 01, 2010 at 06:01 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 01, 2010, 06:45 PM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkoo View Post
Hey Jim,

Yeah, it does look good. I reckon that the N to NNE winds would work best from recollection (probably S as well), but have a look on google earth and sus out which wind direction hits the front slope face on.
The northern side face has a fairly good landing zone so I think you could fly crunchies there without too many problems.
If you want to start DSing, get a Windrider Bee or Bat (the Bat is better) and make it stiff with a decent spar system and go practice. The reason I suggest Windrider planes is that they take a lot of punishment and are very cheap. The Scorpion from Off The Edge Sailplanes is also a great buy, and better suited to DS than the Bee. Just my opinion.
Waz
Waz,
The NE facing bowl shaped cliff face would definately produce good lift in the summer prevailing winds. I expect it would work well in light conditions. I could probably fly (and land) my planes with butterfly braking there safely. I can imagine reverse park landing my Endorphin Rush on the grass there. However, the LZ is not big enough to land something like my Speedo unless I ditched it in the Banksia's.
As for the Windrider planes and others, I have a philisophical problem with "secret" airfoils. They amount to a developmental dead end, and remind me of the so called "Patent Wars" of last century.
I have just been given a Zagi. Are they suitable for DS?

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jun 01, 2010, 10:49 PM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,705 Posts
Quote:

Jim.
The Zagi takes a lot of time to get them to fly ok, but they still have what is known as the "Zagi death roll" where they will tip stall for no apparent reason. They will DS but it has to be a reasonable site to get it to come back up the backside as they don't hold energy to well.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 01, 2010, 11:43 PM
Arrarrar!
Australia, NSW, Wagga Wagga
Joined Jan 2010
3,393 Posts
Quote:
Waz,
The NE facing bowl shaped cliff face would definately produce good lift in the summer prevailing winds. I expect it would work well in light conditions. I could probably fly (and land) my planes with butterfly braking there safely. I can imagine reverse park landing my Endorphin Rush on the grass there. However, the LZ is not big enough to land something like my Speedo unless I ditched it in the Banksia's.
As for the Windrider planes and others, I have a philisophical problem with "secret" airfoils. They amount to a developmental dead end, and remind me of the so called "Patent Wars" of last century.

Jim.
i got myself a bat and modified it with a straight trailing edge and some kite and ribbon spars and removed the reflex like some others on rc groups. its real stiff and needed very little nose weight to ballance. to say im stoked with it is an understaement. its a bit of work but its all been done before and well worth the effort
josh18 is offline Find More Posts by josh18
Old Jun 02, 2010, 01:37 AM
Entropy is happening!
Australia, NSW, Bellingen
Joined Aug 2008
6,922 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
The Zagi takes a lot of time to get them to fly ok, but they still have what is known as the "Zagi death roll" where they will tip stall for no apparent reason. They will DS but it has to be a reasonable site to get it to come back up the backside as they don't hold energy to well.
Glenn,

That is more or less what I assumed. I am putting together a foam plane that Rick is cutting the cores for. That may be my first DS learning plane.

Jim.
Jim.Thompson is offline Find More Posts by Jim.Thompson
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Yet another light plank!
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:06 AM
C'mon more Energy
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Mar 2005
3,233 Posts
First box of 3 arrived today from LEG not sure whats in it as I havnt opened yet.
Should have rest of boxes by Friday.
I will call everyone who has order and send them out.
Swoopdown is offline Find More Posts by Swoopdown
Old Jun 02, 2010, 02:13 AM
Windburner Factory Pilot
Joined May 2008
2,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swoopdown View Post
First box of 3 arrived today from LEG not sure whats in it as I havnt opened yet.
Should have rest of boxes by Friday.
I will call everyone who has order and send them out.
What toys have you obtained?
swoop119 is offline Find More Posts by swoop119
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:19 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,071 Posts
OMG, you didn't have time to open a BOX, but had time to post up here? Man, you must be maturing. I can't contain myself when a box shows up here.
Man I'm so gagging for a fly, been NE or calm here for almost forever now. Getting toeier than a roman sandal.
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:41 AM
Bash Burn Bury
Vic
Joined Dec 2007
1,351 Posts
Looks like Sunday could be good again 15 knots sse. Maybe I'II get out bed for that!
SLOPE HEAD is offline Find More Posts by SLOPE HEAD
Old Jun 02, 2010, 03:56 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,584 Posts
Josh, I agree, the modded "Predator Bat" design is amazing both frontside and for DS. They're amazingly quick, lighter and more nimble than the standard Bat. I loved mine and would still build another.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:05 AM
gizzo don't tweet
Adelaide, Australia
Joined Jan 2008
3,071 Posts
I've read that you take out the reflex in the bats, how do you do it?
gizzo is offline Find More Posts by gizzo
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:26 AM
Lame-As The real alternative!
Bulli, Australia
Joined Nov 2006
4,177 Posts
Continue the cut along the elevon hinge line from the elevon to the root and again at the tip. (cut off the trailing edge). Trim the offcuts and glue them back on without the kick up. (so if you lay a ruler on the top and bottom surfaces of the foil they continue straight to the trailing edge) Not sure if that's clear?
narcas is offline Find More Posts by narcas
Old Jun 02, 2010, 04:54 AM
by ZIPPER
East Kurrajong Sydney Australia
Joined Aug 2004
5,705 Posts
Quote:
Glenn,

That is more or less what I assumed. I am putting together a foam plane that Rick is cutting the cores for. That may be my first DS learning plane.

Jim.

We are now doing a 60" Scorpion that Leo has been testing and the proto has gone over 100mph with ease and very stable.
ZIPPER is offline Find More Posts by ZIPPER
Old Jun 02, 2010, 06:06 AM
Can you DS it??
Australia, NSW, Berowra
Joined Aug 2008
1,420 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPER View Post
We are now doing a 60" Scorpion that Leo has been testing and the proto has gone over 100mph with ease and very stable.
The first production versions are now on the build table. They are full EPP, and will be built just like how we build all our fast foam. Just waiting on some 60" ribbon spars so we can stiffen them up.

The prototype came out even better than we expected - so much so that I'm going to keep flying it! It has an amazing turn of speed, and is rock solid in the loop. It still has great frontside characteristics, and would make a fantastic combat plane as well.

Stay tuned.....

Leo
spotterone is offline Find More Posts by spotterone
Old Jun 02, 2010, 07:18 AM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,584 Posts
With the Bat it's best to use balsa elevons. There's a stock 10mm by 40mm I think which works well. Use it for the fixed centre and tip elevon sections too.

There's some info and pics of a modded bat build (or 2) in this old Windsock thread:
http://windsock.proboards.com/index....ead=963&page=1
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB