HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 14, 2013, 09:17 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarreraGTSCS View Post
Does SkyLake have a website?
Not anymore. Interesting that he logged in today but chooses not to respond to posts or PMs.

bill
scrubs is offline Find More Posts by scrubs
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2013, 08:57 AM
United States, NJ, Manchester Township
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I don't know what his issue is, but it is too bad that he doesn't at least sell his kits through a dealer so he won't have to deal with the mail service on a regular basis in his part of the country.
Dorme is offline Find More Posts by Dorme
Old Oct 15, 2013, 11:23 AM
Pan Pan Pan
Arizona
Joined Feb 2003
395 Posts
It used to be Skylakemodels.com, but the website has been down.

The site used to say something along the lines of no more model kit shipping until problems with damage in shipping were fixed. However I get even get the website anymore...it may have been taken down. I bought 5 of his models and liked all of them. I hope he reopens...
Harri3 is offline Find More Posts by Harri3
Old Oct 16, 2013, 04:58 PM
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I've had some good flights indoors with his YAK and am hoping to do better outdoors at Waywayanda this coming weekend. A friend of mine built his Jungman and it's gorgeous! I also built his Sop Pup and made it electric. It flies but a little too fast for scale.
What have you all built of his and how do they fly?
Old Oct 17, 2013, 08:44 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
I built his Yak dimer but somehow I screwed up the dihedral so it's pretty unstable. Assumed the dihedral at the tip even tho it clearly shows as being at the last rib. I made a mold from the canopy before building so I could build it again "someday".

I have a few other kits stashed. Wood is a bit inconsistent, 1/16 on one or two but 1/20 on the others.

A friend here has built the P51, Jackrabbit and Bumble Bee. Both racers build up into sharp models.

bill
Old Oct 18, 2013, 08:02 AM
Joined Dec 2000
1,058 Posts
I've flown the YAK indoors right off the building board w/o any major adjustment. Rare, I know, as a friend who builds as well as I, if not better, has had numerous problems trying to get it to fly well. He's installed turbulators and increased the stab area to no avail.
I used the Stott method of wash out on the YAK and have done the same to all subsequent models. Very easy. Break the trailing edge at 1/3 to 1/4 from the tip and glue to position. For the YAK, I added an up of 3/16"at the tip before I covered.
I didn't notice a wood size difference, but his Fokker D7 was unbuildable due to the fact that he had drawn a taper in the top wing! When I see things like that, it makes me very suspect about the rest of the plans, like seeing a Nieuport 11 or 17 without a taper in the fuselage from top to bottom. If you miss things like that, you surely will miss other important aspects of the aircraft.
But I will say, that I enjoyed that he included the tissue files with all the details. That is a BIG help and greatly appreciated by those that don't have the skill of AutoCad or a similar program for designing the aircraft tissue.
Old Oct 18, 2013, 09:55 AM
Rio Rancho NM
Joined Dec 2004
1,256 Posts
Yeah Jeff had one of his few struggles with that one. You're right about oddball shapes, the P51 has the wing shape wrong no bumpout at the root. Still for the price and tissue files worthwhile builds. Next up will be the N11.

bill
Old May 21, 2014, 02:28 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,474 Posts
Must have solved his shipping problems, as he's on the electric scale site selling a 1/6 Dolphin kit.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy
Old May 21, 2014, 07:55 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Just bought a 28 inch fokker e-iii from him in March. He is having health problems with his mother.
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old May 22, 2014, 04:06 PM
I eat glue
Canada, NS, Yarmouth
Joined Jul 2006
3,474 Posts
Figured he had those shipping issues sorted out. I heard about the family issues he's having right now. Gotta look after the family first, models can wait.
baldguy is offline Find More Posts by baldguy