HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 03, 2013, 12:32 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
Discussion
How I Start My OS Max S 35

Normally I prime the intake and squirt a few drops into the exhaust port. With a muffler installed, I point the intake up and put 12 drops into the intake and turn the propeller through compression stroke once. Light the plug, listen for the boil and flip it through forward. If it burns the prime but doesn't start repeat step one.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Last edited by tigreflyer; May 03, 2013 at 09:22 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 03, 2013, 01:44 AM
Greggles47
Sydney OZ
Joined May 2007
409 Posts
Sounds like a complicated job.

Mine's got a muffler on full-time, and all I do is choke it a couple of times, till it feels nice and lose. Then connect the glow driver and turn it over. If it gives a bump, I flick it & it runs. If it doesn't bump, I check the plug is working - usually yes, then check that it's wet enough. Basically though, it usually starts up all the time. No worries.

Greg
greggles47 is offline Find More Posts by greggles47
Old May 03, 2013, 09:19 AM
Joined Apr 2012
537 Posts
I used to start my lower compression engines that way. But I found it hard to get a size consistent prime and prime burn time. Twelve drops down the intake and one pull through compression stroke puts a precise, consistent prime exactly where it needs to be for an instant start. I'll bet someone's going to post some way I never thought of.
tigreflyer is offline Find More Posts by tigreflyer
Old May 03, 2013, 10:54 AM
Joined Jan 2008
1,202 Posts
I was flying an upright mounted K&B 4011 with muffler. I would put prime in the intake, turn it over once. Attach battery and flip. Usually one flip starts. I sort of noticed, over time, that I was using more and more intake prime to achieve the same result. The front bearing shed its seal. I replaced the front bearing, and, because I had the motor apart, installed a new ring. Result was the the needed prime dropped back to what I started with, and the engine had a hair more power.
Jim Thomerson is offline Find More Posts by Jim Thomerson