HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 25, 2012, 10:57 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Build Log
Nieuport 17 foam scratch build

Here is what I have so far.....Guess I have the basic construction finished other than the struts,cowl and landing gear...Will glue the struts and wings in place after I have the electrical components installed and the pushrods in place.Wings and fuselage are made from 3mm foam sheet...struts will be made from balsa.Going to thin the wings some by sanding them down....Put a bit of camber in the wings by making some ribs and then glueing them to the underside of the wings....will trim the ribs down flush with the underside of the wings.The receiver is from a Vapor model and the motor is a parkzone brand : 6mm UM J-3.....I believe that is what would go in their micro P-51 and the like.So far things seem alright to me overall....lower wing may be a bit wide and the horizontal stabilizer not quite long enough from end to end but for now should be alright...Not going to be real particular about complete scale accuracy....My main concern is that the wings,tail feathers, and fuselage are properly aligned and the wings have an appropriate angle of attack.Going to start going through some different historical paint jobs and decide on one....
sweeteye is offline Find More Posts by sweeteye
Last edited by sweeteye; May 26, 2012 at 07:37 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 26, 2012, 03:35 AM
Joined Apr 2012
325 Posts
looks nice, any plans coming?
minimicrorc is online now Find More Posts by minimicrorc
Old May 26, 2012, 05:50 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
I never really considered creating plans for any planes as I have never felt my creations were really good enough....I suppose if the plane flies well enough I could try to make up some plans.That would be a kind of interesting and a new challenge for me....I really have just eyeballed the plane using the recent nieuport tissue and print tutorial started by mtflyr and just a little visual help from a flight simulator. Also have used a wooden ruler a little bit....
Old May 26, 2012, 07:38 AM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteye View Post
.The receiver is from a Vapor model and the motor is a parkzone brand : 6mm UM J-3.....I believe that is what would go in their micro P-51 and the like.

The P-51 uses an 8.4mm motor/Gearbox that weighs about 3.5g more than the J-3 Motor and has about 40% more thrust than the J-3 motor.

With a short nosed, Rotary engined WWI plane, I think you'll find it very hard to get them to balance properly with a 6mm motor, because they are too light.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN
Old May 26, 2012, 08:29 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
....Thank you for informing me of this.....Kind of upsets me because when I ordered the motor from a hobby shop I specifically asked for a motor that was for the P-51...Pays to get the right information yourself .....guess I will have to order another motor................Will not be from that hobby shop....the old fart always is trying to push off stuff you do not want....going to start going to his local competition.... Suppose I will just take the one out of my P-51 for the time being.......
Last edited by sweeteye; May 26, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 09:03 AM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Sweeteye,

I love the Nieuports so keep it going. I also agree with UNGN use the PZ P-51 motor and gearbox you'll need the weight up front.

All of my 14-14.5" WS WWI birds have the PZ P-51 combo and PZ bricks as far as I can get them up front with the battery.

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old May 26, 2012, 09:21 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Will do mtflyr......should be a fairly quick build...Thanks again for tipping me on the motor and balancing the Nieuport....Certainly do not want an underpowered plane or an unbalanced one.....Actually I ordered two of the motors so I could put one of them in my DR1 which is losing power gradually......Want the WW1 planes to be fairly equal powered so when I fly with a friend of mine we can have some mock dogfights..Have a great Memorial Day weekend!!!!!......also many thanks to all fallen veterans.....and living veterans as well..
Last edited by sweeteye; May 26, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 10:04 AM
Gulf Breeze, FL
Joined Jul 2006
2,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeteye View Post
Certainly do not want an underpowered plane or an unbalanced one.....
Nice!

Judging by your first (fuzzy) picture, looks like you'll have around a 14-15" wingspan? If so, you will CERTAINLY NOT be underpowered with the P-51 motor. You'll have enough to pull you out of "critical" situations, and you'll have plenty to do whatever acro the rudder and elevator allow.

What kind of wheels are you using? Heavier wheels may help if you can't get a good CG by stuffing everything up front - right, Pete?

Gene K
speedy01 is offline Find More Posts by speedy01
Old May 26, 2012, 10:20 AM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Yes you are right about the wingspan......the wheels I am not sure of the type and they are fairly heavy though a little small for the model....best I could find at the moment at the hobby shops...Having to use my webcam to get the photos.. that is why they are a bit fuzzy....One of these times I am going to have to get a new camera....the one I have will not upload to the PC anymore.....hoping to install the electronics this evening and then I will be on the home stretch
Last edited by sweeteye; May 26, 2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old May 26, 2012, 01:43 PM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,781 Posts
a worn p51 motor/gearbox and a gws 5030 will get you 50g static thrust. just sayin'.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old May 26, 2012, 02:55 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Fortunately my P-51 is flying good still....really have not made that many flights with it....In fact at full throttle I have troubles keeping control as I am not an advanced flyer....Still really goes like a bat out of ...Have to cut the throttle back to maintain good control....Non the less I will order a few replacement motors as soon as I can......
Old May 26, 2012, 11:40 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Have the P-51 motor and the vapor receiver installed.....also the control horns and push rods..Glued in a block of foam in the nose for mounting the motor to...also a small extra block of foam for the battery compartment and a small sheet of foam for mounting the receiver to...Motor is running good as well as the rudder and elevator....just need to loosen the control surfaces up a little..Ready to attach the struts and wings and also the landing gear.....Also can attach the top cover over the fuselage....and finish the cowl...just need to get it shaped better.That will pretty well finish the model...will add some extra epoxy to strengthen the nose and where the wings and tail feathers attach to the fuselage.....will go over the model and clean it up some and straighten any misalignments.....Think I will leave it white for now....No sense of weighting it down with paint....really do not care for the way markers look for painting a model...
Last edited by sweeteye; May 27, 2012 at 12:09 AM.
Old May 27, 2012, 12:20 PM
United States, OH, Salem
Joined Dec 2011
142 Posts
Plane is now ready to go.....weather permitting I will take it out for a dawn patrol tomorrow.......Guess it has not turned out too bad as far as looks go....could be better but it seems to look like a Nieuport...Will see how it flies.....the cowl is not too good but I will go back over it and make it better.... wheels are too small...a little rough overall but still is probably the best looking model I have made....I should add that the plane balanced out very well although I lost some of the dihedral I set into the wings...Have no idea of the finished weight but it is very light.....
Last edited by sweeteye; May 27, 2012 at 12:54 PM.
Old May 28, 2012, 05:59 PM
Centreville,VA,USA
Joined Apr 2001
3,951 Posts
Sweeteye, not to bad for a quick build. The wheels look too small though and with a rounded cowling she'll really look the part. nDon't be afraid to add bigger wheels as it needs that weight up front.

What's you're WS?

If possible, do like I did for a great looking cowling you can just use a Jello cup or something like it from the food store then just cut to shape.

Have you flown it yet? I flew Gene's again today winds were a bit much so I only got in 4 flights.

Good luck

Pete
mtflyr is offline Find More Posts by mtflyr
Old May 28, 2012, 07:10 PM
Power Wheels Guru
Southlake, TX
Joined Jan 2008
7,327 Posts
Flyzone Albatros/DR1 wheels are 1.25" in diameter and available at most Hobby Shops.
UNGN is offline Find More Posts by UNGN