HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 11, 2012, 08:37 PM
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Discussion
Motley crew blown prop

Ran my motley crew for first time this evening , within two minutes it started slowing down .. Both of the trailing edges of my plastic prop broke off !! I didn't hit anything or run to shallow ... I'm running 50 c lipos , could it be just to much torque ?? I have a brass coming anyways .. But kinda a short lived first run !! Was very impressive for first 90 seconds !! Anyone else have this happen ? What do you think ? Do I need to balance the new prop ? I don't race , just playing around .. Thanks
dockmanagement is offline Find More Posts by dockmanagement
to remove ads between posts
Old May 11, 2012, 09:04 PM
I feel the need for speed!
Southern U.S.
Joined Jun 2008
7,166 Posts
Were you running 4s?

The cheapo props will throw blades and pieces at high speed, just balance and sharpen your new prop and you're good to go!!
scorpion1 is online now Find More Posts by scorpion1
Old May 11, 2012, 09:19 PM
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Prop

Thanks sir , that's what I figured .. What balancer is everyone using ? Do you have to heat the prop ? How do you sharpen the edges ? I'm new at this ..thanks
Old May 11, 2012, 09:57 PM
Canada, ON, Whitby
Joined Aug 2008
8,901 Posts
No heat, but wear a mask. Beryllium dust is REALLY bad for your health.

You'll want to balance and sharpen it.
wparsons is offline Find More Posts by wparsons
Old May 11, 2012, 10:43 PM
Thermite + ice = Big boom.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,290 Posts
Get this balancer: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...prod=ose-80310
you can find it at a bunch of places. Sandpaper in many different grits and even a small file will really help you out. Google how to do it, there should be lots of articles (okay not how to do it, that would be interesting.. but you know what I mean)
boaterguy is offline Find More Posts by boaterguy
Old May 12, 2012, 09:46 AM
Joined May 2012
9 Posts
Prop

Thanks much for the help ! Will get one coming !
Old May 14, 2012, 06:03 PM
United States, WY, Moran
Joined Nov 2003
82 Posts
Anyone sell the blades balanced and sharpened?
harbortime is offline Find More Posts by harbortime
Old May 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,290 Posts
offshoreelectrics sells some props b&s'd, there are also many people who will do it for you, look through the FS forum and if you can't find anything post a wanted ad.
Old May 15, 2012, 01:41 PM
Memento Mori
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dockmanagement View Post
Ran my motley crew for first time this evening , within two minutes it started slowing down .. Both of the trailing edges of my plastic prop broke off !! I didn't hit anything or run to shallow ... I'm running 50 c lipos , could it be just to much torque ?? I have a brass coming anyways .. But kinda a short lived first run !! Was very impressive for first 90 seconds !! Anyone else have this happen ? What do you think ? Do I need to balance the new prop ? I don't race , just playing around .. Thanks
C rating didn't do it. They higher the C the better for the boat. Nothing bad can happen with a high c battery.

The stock plastic props like mentioned just break really easily. Something under the water could have dinged it and it failed its hard to tell. Metal props like mentioned are better, but a good easy and cost effective prop are the CF series props. The CF40, CF42 and CF45 are awesome cheap upgrades to the Motley Crew and are better then the stock props. They are still subject to breaking, but hold up a little better then the stocker. A metal prop is indeed the way to go, but a pre-sharpened and balance prop is pretty pricey and doing it yourself is time consuming and also a health hazard (beryllium cooper is really nasty stuff).

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...t=Carbon+Props
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Old May 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
United States, WY, Moran
Joined Nov 2003
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
the CF series props. The CF40, CF42 and CF45 are awesome

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...t=Carbon+Props
Great Info! What prop do you recommend for the best top end speed for a stock MC? The CF45?
harbortime is offline Find More Posts by harbortime
Old May 15, 2012, 06:44 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flnsx View Post
Great Info! What prop do you recommend for the best top end speed for a stock MC? The CF45?
Yes the CF45 would be the fastest out of listed series of CF props. It still wouldn't be as fast as a metal prop. The CF (and plastic for the matter) flex underload, so it's possible that even though you have a larger diameter cf prop a smaller diameter metal prop may produce better results. Example of this would be a x442 or a grim 42x55 will run faster and pull more amps then say a CF45 even though the CF prop is larger. Hopefully that makes some sense.

If ran with extreme caution and only used for 1 or 2 high speed passes a CF48 could be possibility. I mean EXTREME caution! The flex underload should make it tolerable for a very short period. When going to metal props everything changes.

Keep in mind that when you start playing around with props changing the deans plugs out for EC5 or 5.5mm bullets and changing the motor/esc 4mm bullets out for 5.5mm bullets is a must. They work fine for the small plastic stock motor, but when you start playing around with props the deans and small 4mm can't handle the increase in amps. This is a preventive must for any rtr boat that you wish to change the props with.
Old May 15, 2012, 07:34 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
I am going to change all my connectors to 5 or 6mm bullets. How do THESE or THESE look? Good prices too. I am running the GR 42-55 and the Traxxas connectors are getting too warm, hot even. But the wire is only 14g on the ESC, so that stinks.
What Octura prop is an equivalent to the GR 42-55? I would like to buy a pre balanced one from OSE, but they don't sell Grim Racer props already balanced.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old May 15, 2012, 09:30 PM
Memento Mori
Joined Sep 2009
3,010 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stuball56 View Post
I am going to change all my connectors to 5 or 6mm bullets. How do THESE or THESE look? Good prices too. I am running the GR 42-55 and the Traxxas connectors are getting too warm, hot even. But the wire is only 14g on the ESC, so that stinks.
What Octura prop is an equivalent to the GR 42-55? I would like to buy a pre balanced one from OSE, but they don't sell Grim Racer props already balanced.
You can use regular 5.5mm bullets on your batteries as well, I do, but it is very VERY easy to dead short a battery with them. EC5's are a safer route on the batts. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...tor_Pair_.html

I would go with those and 5.5mm bullets for you motor/esc connections.

You'll need 3 pair for the 3 connection on the motor-to-esc: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...d=ose-55bullet

A octura x442 or x642 will do. More speed with the x642, slightly better runtime with the x442, pick your poison.
Snag this while your at it: http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/pro...se-cable-mcrew
* Aquacraft's flexcables are awfully, the prop shafts are normally wobbly and was a big issue with them snapping out of the box. Flexcables, collets, bullet connections and getting rid of the deans are normally the first things I do when I get a new rtr boat. The proboat cables however aren't too bad at all and I run them as is.

Here's mine:
Aquacraft Motley Crew (3 min 29 sec)
Last edited by Diesel6401; May 15, 2012 at 09:36 PM.
Old May 15, 2012, 09:57 PM
Which way is up?
Michigan, USA
Joined Mar 2008
686 Posts
Thank you very much for that great information. Wow, that's good stuff. I did actualy install so far: Kintec Racing flex cable and strut bushing, nylon rudder bolt, I sharpened the rudder on the lead edge and the bottom, and I have a Kintec stuffing tube support bracket on order. I am now using an unbalanced 42-55 and it heats the stock wire and connectors up nicely. Too nicely.
stuball56 is offline Find More Posts by stuball56
Old May 16, 2012, 06:10 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Apr 2009
2,290 Posts
Try not to run it unbalanced, you are doing damage to your motor and cable and will cause premature breaking.
I have a s/b tfl 42 prop I can sell you, it won't be as fast as an x442 though since it's got less blade area.