HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:19 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
Question
Bnf?

K...I'm a bit old school with 72MHz, and have fallen a bit behind the times. When people talk about "Bind and Fly", is that Spectrum? If so, can I use any spectrum Tx with any Rx? I have a Futaba 9C super that I'm rather fond of. Would the Spectrum module for that be something I should consider?
KOWF is offline Find More Posts by KOWF
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 22, 2012, 07:41 PM
どうもありがとうミスターロボット
United States, IL
Joined Jul 2009
3,063 Posts
Yes, the BNF stuff uses the proprietary Spektrum (with a "k") DSM2 2.4GHz signal technology.

A Spektrum module for your 9C should work for using your 9C to fly the BNF stuff.
Wrend is offline Find More Posts by Wrend
Old Feb 22, 2012, 09:51 PM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOWF View Post
K...I'm a bit old school with 72MHz, and have fallen a bit behind the times. When people talk about "Bind and Fly", is that Spectrum? If so, can I use any spectrum Tx with any Rx? I have a Futaba 9C super that I'm rather fond of. Would the Spectrum module for that be something I should consider?
BNF means the receiver is already installed in the model. You just need a DSM2 or DSMX transmitter to which the receiver can bind and you're ready to fly. BNF is a proprietary term of Horizon Hobby (including Hobbyzone, E-Flite, etc.).

PNP means that you need to provide your own receiver, which need not be Spektrum. Other suppliers refer to this as RxR (receiver-ready).

The UltraMicro models from Horizon have integrated receiver and servos and thus are necessarily BNF.

The DM8 Spektrum module should work fine in your Futaba. The only problem is that they have been in short supply or unavailable and there have been rumors that they are to be discontinued. They normally sell for $109 with an AR7000 receiver (that normaly costs close to $100 on its own.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:12 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
This is why I still like my 72. Even at it's peak I could get a Rx for less than 20 bucks.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 05:50 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,098 Posts
Overseas online vendor is selling DSM2 compatible receivers for under what you would pay for you RX back then and that is with todays pricing.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Feb 23, 2012, 07:22 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
The phrase "BNF" comes from Horizon Hobby and is probably owned by them,but it has also,somewhat,simply,come to mean any RC craft with a Rx installed that will bind with a Tx of the appropriate,accompanying type.I hear people now referring to the new Flyzone Tx-ready planes as BNF,simply because they are used to the idea as developed by HH.I saw one of the Great Planes F-86 micro edf jets at our club meeting yesterday,and it came "BNF",and was being flown with an A9 with an "AnyLink" device plugged into the trainer port.Pretty cool.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Feb 23, 2012, 10:04 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
That F-86 is exactly what lead me to start this thread! I found it a bit confusing, and figured this was the best place to come for the answers. Thanks guys!

So, that "anylink" is a device that plugs into the trainer port on the Tx? Man, I could not find any real website selling it that really explained what it was. I was figuring it was Spektrum, and it was time to learn a bit more about that. Not finding the one without the Rx listed anywhere yet, either. I don't think it's due out till late March, so that could be why. I use to fly EDFs, but moved on due to the field simply not being big enough for 100+ mph jets. That micro jets looks real interesting. Haven't really seen anything that talked about it's top speed in stock form.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:07 AM
Florida
Joined Jul 2010
796 Posts
Quote:
That F-86 is exactly what lead me to start this thread! I found it a bit confusing, and figured this was the best place to come for the answers. Thanks guys!

So, that "anylink" is a device that plugs into the trainer port on the Tx? Man, I could not find any real website selling it that really explained what it was. I was figuring it was Spektrum, and it was time to learn a bit more about that. Not finding the one without the Rx listed anywhere yet, either. I don't think it's due out till late March, so that could be why. I use to fly EDFs, but moved on due to the field simply not being big enough for 100+ mph jets. That micro jets looks real interesting. Haven't really seen anything that talked about it's top speed in stock form.
The AnyLink adapter is not only available right now,but is currently free with some of the "Tx-ready" planes.I think it's an awesome idea,and am going to get one to use with my DMSS JR.It will take a little bite out of HH's apple,for sure.
destinbeachman is offline Find More Posts by destinbeachman
Old Feb 23, 2012, 11:57 AM
60 years of RC flying
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Feb 2006
16,499 Posts
Quote:
This is why I still like my 72. Even at it's peak I could get a Rx for less than 20 bucks.
Which peak? Until a few years ago, receivers for 72 were more expensive than brand name 2.4 receivers are today. Cheap receivers are a recent phenomenon.

Spektrum compatible receivers are available for $6 and work well.
Daedalus66 is online now Find More Posts by Daedalus66
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:00 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
Bought my 9C about 6 or 7 years ago. Very, very happy with it, and see no need to buy a new Tx. I'm so over having the latest and greatest. However, I"m clearly going to have to get the spektrum module. Although it's much cheaper to not have the "latest and greatest", it does keep you a little behind on things.
I actually have a 6100 clone that I got it in trade, and haven't had a use for it yet. Guy said it was like $5. At the time I figured he was mistaken, but I guess not. Gotta say, that is cheaper then a used 05S.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 03:51 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
Ok, I'm back to being confused. There seems to be several options for this.

Is this what I'm looking for?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBHZT&P=7
Old Feb 23, 2012, 04:10 PM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
KOWF,

That one is a Futaba FHSS module which is not BNF compatible, you would need a Spektrum DM8.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne
Old Feb 23, 2012, 09:47 PM
"Unnecessary Necessity"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Sep 2006
5,759 Posts
[The DM8 Spektrum module should work fine in your Futaba. The only problem is that they have been in short supply or unavailable and there have been rumors that they are to be discontinued. They normally sell for $109 with an AR7000 receiver (that normaly costs close to $100 on its own.]

There is still some brand new Spektrum DM8+ar7000 Rx floating around in LHS and companies who provide parts for the robotic community.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=10
coriolan is offline Find More Posts by coriolan
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:32 AM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
15 Posts
Only issue I see is that I will either have to convert my entire fleet, or keep switching out antenna's on the radio as I go between 72 and spektrum. Would have been better if the antenna for the module was actually on the module, which would also eliminate that little wire that is bound to get snagged on something.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 06:39 AM
Oxford Panic
United Kingdom, Oxford
Joined Feb 2003
3,659 Posts
There are antennas that fit directly on the connector, but don't be tempted to use a standard WiFi one as the pin inside is reversed and will cause damage if screwed on.

There's a thread about fitting a screw-on antenna here...

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1594017

Best to do a range check before using it to fly with. I personally have put a screw-on antenna on my DM8 but I only use it for the small harmless indoor planes, for the big stuff I use a TM8 FASST module. I have no trouble swapping modules on a regular basis, after all this is how the module system was meant to be used.

A.
AndyOne is offline Find More Posts by AndyOne