HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 28, 2011, 01:03 PM
Joined Aug 2011
37 Posts
Discussion
Hobby King Crap Service

Well my experience is, simply BAD. Just wanted to voice my anger, annoyance and let others know to be a little careful.

Ordered a product couldn't wait, turned up in good time...... and that was the end of the positives! Machining errors, parts missing and generally in a bad way, not safe to fly! I wouldnt risk using it!

Contacted HK via support system, now 28 days and still no resolve, offering me replacement parts not even related to the fault! Offered "Free Small Gift" what an insult! All i want was a replacement, got a quote on shipping back to them, more than triple the cost of my model! And they still wont replace it! Grrrrrrr.

My second order, should have learnt from my first and avoided HK. But foolishly ordered again, took 21 days to actually ship, all items in stock and reserved. Now the parcel has been lost by swiss post. or did HK really ship it, as i pestered them alot! Think they ball shitted me!

Also the way they deal with customer service is AWFUL! using all different names, like John but when you investigate the actual person is Karen Ge. What the F***?

Not really a positive experience, if you dont want quality, customer service or something quick then use hobby king. If you want good service and backup then use another company. Sorry HK but you SUCK!.
kylelnsn is offline Find More Posts by kylelnsn
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 29, 2011, 05:54 PM
Stoke-on-Trent, UK
Joined Nov 2010
1,113 Posts
I use HK quite abit especially when it comes to lipo's. I couldn't say how many times but I'd say 5+ and my experiences have been good with all orders correct and punctual.

Though I have heard many times of horror stories with customer service when things go wrong.

I hope you get it sorted
rotorkilla is offline Find More Posts by rotorkilla
Old Nov 01, 2011, 03:10 PM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kylelnsn View Post
Well my experience is, simply BAD. Just wanted to voice my anger, annoyance and let others know to be a little careful.

Ordered a product couldn't wait, turned up in good time...... and that was the end of the positives! Machining errors, parts missing and generally in a bad way, not safe to fly! I wouldnt risk using it!

Contacted HK via support system, now 28 days and still no resolve, offering me replacement parts not even related to the fault! Offered "Free Small Gift" what an insult! All i want was a replacement, got a quote on shipping back to them, more than triple the cost of my model! And they still wont replace it! Grrrrrrr.

My second order, should have learnt from my first and avoided HK. But foolishly ordered again, took 21 days to actually ship, all items in stock and reserved. Now the parcel has been lost by swiss post. or did HK really ship it, as i pestered them alot! Think they ball shitted me!

Also the way they deal with customer service is AWFUL! using all different names, like John but when you investigate the actual person is Karen Ge. What the F***?

Not really a positive experience, if you dont want quality, customer service or something quick then use hobby king. If you want good service and backup then use another company. Sorry HK but you SUCK!.
I feel your pain....this is what happened to me:

I purchased a HK-010 Watt Meter in Dec '10. I received it within a few days. I plugged in a 3s LiPo pack to see the % of charge. I smelled something burning. I instantly unplugged the battery.

After a day or so I opened the meter to see what had actually happened and was amazed to see that the circuit board had shorted out to the metal case!!!

I sent a very nicely worded email to Customer Service and received an equally courteous reply the next day. Then it went downhill rapidly. They wanted me to ship an $18.99 item halfway around the world on my dime. So they could determine if I was at fault or not.

We exchanged 22 emails before I got so frustrated I had to call my credit card company to see if they could intervene. Well indeed they did! It turns out I pay a small amount every month for a service plan covering ANYTHING I purchase using their credit card!! I was immediately refunded my $18.99 and the same amount was subtracted from HK as well. So I got my money back and so did MasterCard.

Needless to say I will no longer do business with HK.

Through all of this the emails got more antagonistic and I was made to feel like a fool. And that somehow I was at fault and trying to pull one over on HK.

Don
AMA 384859
dlt2859 is offline Find More Posts by dlt2859
Old Nov 06, 2011, 02:32 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Good on you Don this is how it should be done HK need to clean up there act with returns as there returns policy stinks !
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Nov 13, 2011, 04:04 PM
If in doubt, add accelerant
United Kingdom, England, Stansted Mountfitchet
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
I'd like to weigh in in support of HK - Having just looked at my account on there I have spent over 1000 with them in the last year - so far with few problems. The deliveries have always been as expected (no overnight but normally within 3 weeks) the products have been worth what I paid, if they were cheap then I won't expect them to work flawlessly all the time.

There are a few tips that have been often repeated on the site, I'll try and remember as many of them as I can, they have stood me in good stead:
  • Don't place an order if there is stuff on backorder - you could end up waiting for months before you get your order, even though the money has been taken from your account.
  • Avoid buying anything that you wouldn't be prepared to not receive. You may get the stuff but some may not work
  • Don't order electrical equipment, some of their QC is pretty bad
  • HK is a good place to go for Servos, Lipos, Motors and ESCs, though dont put them in anything you would be devastated to loose.

Happy shopping!
Lberry.88 is offline Find More Posts by Lberry.88
Old Nov 13, 2011, 06:59 PM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
869 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lberry.88 View Post
.....Don't order electrical equipment, some of their QC is pretty bad
.....HK is a good place to go for Servos, Lipos, Motors and ESCs, though dont put them in anything you would be devastated to loose.
I don't want to be antagonistic, so please don't think I am trying to pick a fight.....but what's the point of ordering from them?

Don
AMA 394859
Old Nov 14, 2011, 01:35 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Ah well, for scratch built foamies or cheap planes I'll happily put HK stuff in, but I wouldnt equip a balsa model that took 2 months to complete with HK stuff.
Old Nov 14, 2011, 07:59 AM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
869 Posts
Quote:
Ah well, for scratch built foamies or cheap planes I'll happily put HK stuff in, but I wouldnt equip a balsa model that took 2 months to complete with HK stuff.
Ah ok in that case it does make sense.....

Don
AMA 384859
Old Nov 14, 2011, 10:37 AM
Joined May 2007
1,825 Posts
Hehe, yeah only occasionally I make sense
Old Nov 14, 2011, 04:36 PM
Go Fly Something!!
USA, VA, Charlottesville
Joined Jan 2009
869 Posts
Quote:
Hehe, yeah only occasionally I make sense
Don't feel too bad, rarely, if ever, can I make change of a dollar!

Don
AMA 384859
Old Jan 10, 2012, 03:09 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Sep 2010
56 Posts
Dispatch Error

Hi, Lberry.88. You said:
Don't order electrical equipment, some of their QC is pretty bad
HK is a good place to go for Servos, Lipos, Motors and ESCs, though dont put them in anything you would be devastated to loose (sic).

I'm not sure what you mean by "electrical equipment" if HK is good for servos, lipos, motors and escs, and I never put anything in a model that I'm not prepared to lose. It's a matter of risk assessment.

I've spent loads of dosh with HK over the last three years and nothing has failed at all yet, including dozens of cheap servos which are still in service.
I found one airframe (the Falcon 1340) to be of poor quality but I was able to make modifications during construction which enable it to fly very well.

My gripe is with dispatch. Two months ago I ordered the new Turnigy 9x tx/rx combo, together with two extra rxs. The cost of the order was over $87 including shipping and I knew I'd have to wait a while-it was a bargain price, after all!
When the stuff all came into stock they sent out my order but forgot to include the combo. All I got was two rxs. They are, of course, useless without a tx.
They've offered to credit me the cost of the combo ($40) which leaves me $29 short. Put another way, these rxs have cost me $48 (they're $8.99 each!) and I now have to find another $29 for shipping for the combo (if it ever comes back into stock!).

I've told them what I think of their offer. We'll see how they respond.
Alphatango is offline Find More Posts by Alphatango
Old Jan 16, 2012, 02:15 AM
United Kingdom, England, Southampton
Joined Sep 2010
56 Posts
Despatch Error

Well, I complained and they agreed to pay the shipping as well so, theoretically, I'll get my radio next time it comes into stock. Here's hoping.

Well, wouldn't you know it, they came into stock-and then out again. I asked Hobbyking why mine wasn't despatched and was told there weren't enough to fill my order!

I've explained that my order, outstanding since November, and unfilled by Hobbyking's error when they had stock in December, should be getting priority. Well, faint hope never f****d a steamroller, did it?
Alphatango is offline Find More Posts by Alphatango
Old Jan 21, 2012, 07:57 PM
United Kingdom, England, Reading
Joined Jun 2011
5 Posts
Check Import Costs!

All the deals look great on there ... Then with the shipping they look allright but then there was the Import costs ... In the end I think I would have just bought locally. Especially as it was a big order and it wouldnt have taken a month to arrive.

Edit: Import costs and delivery time is all though. I was very happy when it all arrived.
JAG0991 is offline Find More Posts by JAG0991
Last edited by JAG0991; Jan 22, 2012 at 07:54 AM.
Old Jan 22, 2012, 02:48 AM
Staffs, UK
Joined Nov 2003
10,559 Posts
I haven't had anything from there stopped in Customs yet so my "Import costs" have been zero. Delivery has always been within a couple of weeks, all the right stuff has turned up and quality has been reasonable given the extremely low prices.

I guess as with most cheap suppliers a bit of luck is involved. But if you insist on buying at Lada prices you can't seriously expect Rolls Royce quality and service .

Steve
slipstick is offline Find More Posts by slipstick
Old Jan 24, 2012, 02:42 PM
United Kingdom, England, Boston
Joined May 2011
157 Posts
ALL MY STUFF CAME TOO WITHIN 2 WEEKS NO COSTS , CHEAP AS CHIPS AND NOT BAD STUFF ,BEATS ALL UK PRICES .NO PROBS HERE Neil
tinker27 is offline Find More Posts by tinker27