HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:34 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,061 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by heinduplessis View Post
Ok great will order so long in case. Are you flying ritewing as well? I was in two minds about not getting a skywalker again and go ffor a ritewing.
I am flying a 56" Zephyr and finishing a 76" zephyr blunt nose now.

The skywalker and the zeph are two completely different planes in every aspect. Skywalker can land slow and launch easy. Zeph lands hot, requires a spot-on launch, and can cruise pretty fast.
IMO, its best to have one of each
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:47 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
is there a repository for mods to this plane?

I am looking at this or the MP Twin Star II

I am really looking for a slow AP platform that needs to be able to hand launch and land in rough places.

I would love to mod the tail boom to be removable for storage...

I want to take this plane with me when i travel and my quad fits in my pelican case nicely.

is there a thread (i have searched for it) that has a bunch of the mods.... many other plane threads the 1st post is just that.

Thanks for the help
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Oct 04, 2011, 03:53 PM
Foam Snow
South Africa, WC, Cape Town
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
I am flying a 56" Zephyr and finishing a 76" zephyr blunt nose now.

The skywalker and the zeph are two completely different planes in every aspect. Skywalker can land slow and launch easy. Zeph lands hot, requires a spot-on launch, and can cruise pretty fast.
IMO, its best to have one of each
Sounds like I need a lot of practice before even considering a zeph!
heinduplessis is offline Find More Posts by heinduplessis
Old Oct 04, 2011, 04:08 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275 View Post
is there a repository for mods to this plane?

I am really looking for a slow AP platform that needs to be able to hand launch and land in rough places.

I would love to mod the tail boom to be removable for storage...

I want to take this plane with me when i travel and my quad fits in my pelican case nicely.

is there a thread (i have searched for it) that has a bunch of the mods.... many other plane threads the 1st post is just that.

Thanks for the help
Just a comment on size: If you are traveling and size is an issue, the Sky Surfer and clones (like the Bixler) is a smaller FPV platform that many have had good success with. It's worth considering at least.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 04, 2011, 09:48 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
yeah, but the lack of ailerons sucks!!!

sure i could mod it, but well....... i dont know.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 10:09 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,482 Posts
Quote:
yeah, but the lack of ailerons sucks!!!

sure i could mod it, but well....... i dont know.
The Bixler has ailerons. That's what I have. No mods necessary. Doesn't the Skysurfer too?

I agree. No ailerons, no dice for me.
Old Oct 04, 2011, 11:48 PM
manual flying apologist
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
i thought it was 3ch.

hmm....

I really like the room in the skywalker... it looks like i can get it into a pelican rifle case, which can be checked on an airplane with out issue.

now time to research and pull the trigger.... winter is coming!!!!!!
Old Oct 05, 2011, 11:47 AM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
My hinges, or lack thereof

I forgot that the stock SW elevator can only go in one direction, so I cut it loose completely (my previous version had me hacking at the seam until it could move some - maybe that's why I never recovered from that nose dive...).

I bought some hinges but I have no idea how they attach?! So I used fiber tape for hinges. Bad idea?

Wisdom appreciated.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:03 PM
Bay Area
Joined Dec 2010
2,390 Posts
Quote:
If you're looking between the TS2 and a SW I'd say the Twin Star is a tougher build and more components, more money and less space. The TS2 is a great plane but I think more modding needs to be done on that plane compared to the SW. It is a bit smaller, but the lack of removable horizontal stabilizer makes it less "break-down-able" compared to the longer and wider SW with removable horizontal stab.

Visually I think the Twin Star 2 is one of the sexiest FPV planes out there (along with some delta wings), and the Skywalker is... well, totally ugly, but that's really not an issue unless you're looking at it.

Both are great builds for FPV, but I think the SW is better suited for FPV all around.
CaliDave is online now Find More Posts by CaliDave
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:10 PM
Joined Mar 2011
131 Posts
FYI - My experience with fiber tape is that it rapidly degrades when exposed to sunlight. I use 3M 'Blenderm' tape for hinges - Dubro sells it as 'hinge tape'.

Quote:
I forgot that the stock SW elevator can only go in one direction, so I cut it loose completely (my previous version had me hacking at the seam until it could move some - maybe that's why I never recovered from that nose dive...).

I bought some hinges but I have no idea how they attach?! So I used fiber tape for hinges. Bad idea?

Wisdom appreciated.
nft343 is offline Find More Posts by nft343
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2010
7,482 Posts
Quote:
I bought some hinges but I have no idea how they attach?!
You have to get a hinge-slotting tool like this: http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/dub/dub216.htm
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:23 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
@nft343: Looks like the easier option, thanks

@erkq: Now why would my hobby shop sell me these hinges without telling me about the tools! Thanks.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 01:58 PM
Flying low is expensive.
United States, CO, Boulder
Joined Jul 2008
2,398 Posts
You bought CA hinges. You cut a slot, stick the hinges in, and wick in some thin CA. I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to, you could use a sharp hobby knife to cut the hinge slots.
pdiddyg40 is offline Find More Posts by pdiddyg40
Old Oct 05, 2011, 02:05 PM
Foam Snow
Joined Aug 2011
1,333 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdiddyg40 View Post
You bought CA hinges. You cut a slot, stick the hinges in, and wick in some thin CA. I'm pretty sure that if you wanted to, you could use a sharp hobby knife to cut the hinge slots.
Ok thanks. I'll try to look for a tutorial.
Old Oct 05, 2011, 07:13 PM
If it's to be, it's up to me.
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jan 2007
3,091 Posts
Quote:
Ok thanks. I'll try to look for a tutorial.
You don't need a tutorial, or any special tool other than an exacto knife. Your LHS probably assumed you had a knife at least.

Cut a slot with the knife in both the stab and elevator the depth of half the hinge. Feed the hinge into both parts ensuring that it's straight and centred. Looking at your hinges, the little half round notches go on the sides. Ensure the control surface is not so close that it can't reach it's full travel, and hit it with some CA. After it's dry, give it a firm tug to test it.

HTH.
subsonic is offline Find More Posts by subsonic